The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Lumber Prices  (Read 2584 times)

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
    • Share Post
Lumber Prices
« on: March 12, 2009, 06:43:09 PM »
Is there someplace where I can find the current market prices of hardwood per board foot?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Offline Bill_G

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Lumber Prices
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 06:58:42 PM »
You can try the Hardwood Market Report. I think it is hmr.com

Offline ljmathias

• Senior Member x2
  • Been sawing part-time almost 27 years now
    • Share Post
    • Polymer Science Learning Center
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 06:14:11 AM »
Thanks for the link to HMR but when I tried to access information, it said I had to join for $240 per year- seems a little high for the average interested non-large-scale-commercial sawyer?  Any other sources available?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 07:27:38 AM »
This is where it pays to be buddies with some of the big sawmills.  They usually subscribe.  If I need to look at one, I just stop by to  have a little chat about business.  (Sometimes they are too busy to chat so I get right to the point).  They always let me look at the current issue and usually let me have a few old copies which work well for me.  I am usually looking for who has cedar and if there are any prices quoted.  I don't need to invest $240 a year either.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »
I'll have to agree that $240 is a bit steep. I'm thinking of averaging prices from other sawyers in this area.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »
Thanks for the link to HMR but when I tried to access information, it said I had to join for $240 per year- seems a little high for the average interested non-large-scale-commercial sawyer?  Any other sources available?

Lj

Its a conspiricy folks, just like the Jfk deal.  I noticed you are from Ms.  The U of Miss use to produce a market report, but now here in the state you have to be a member of Forest to Market to get any thing meaningful..  They may give you a little sampling .  You might try that.  I wonder if several of us here on the forum would poney up about 10 each and then share the infor. I would be interested if any one else is..   Would we be in some sort of violation for doing that?   :o  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline PAFaller

• Share Post
    • Berndtson Timber Management
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:49:07 PM »
I wouldnt say you can rely on the Hardwood Market Report these days either. Talked to a sawmill lumber salesmen a week or two back at a meeting and he said they can't print it fast enough to account for the price dropping so fast as inventories keep piling up. If you look at the newest issue dont go banking on the prices listed.
It ain't easy...

Offline Bill_G

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 06:04:33 PM »
Another option is that there are usually yards that buy lumber from mills and have kilns and planer facility. I used to sell to Northland Forest Products in NH, and they also have a yard in Virginia, very nice people. If you locate yards like theirs in your area they will give you the price they pay wholesale. If you want to sell retail you just ad cost of drying and planing, storage, etc. and this will give you a ball park. I know Northland does not care how big or small your mill is as long as the lumber meets their specs.  They did all trimming and grading which helps small mill owners, but are very honest and always consistant with grade and payment. I'm sure there are also outfits out there that are shady. But it's a good place to get informed.

Offline Chico

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 06:25:45 PM »
It's worth what you can get for things are so volitle right now and mills are doing so much to appease customers it's tough for the small guy Even grade lumber is customer dictated a lot of the time you used to be able to take an order send and if there was a dispute you could call a national man in to settle it and it was done now you do it their way or not  too many producers not enough customers right now
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Lumber Prices vs Softwood Prices.

Started by Kim_Ked on Forestry and Logging

25 Replies
Last post October 15, 2020, 05:08:06 PM
by ehp
xx
Lumber Prices?

Started by Kevin_H. on Sawmills and Milling

20 Replies
Last post November 05, 2003, 09:00:28 PM
by SawInIt CA