iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who has a trail camera?

Started by nb_foresttech, April 17, 2009, 07:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nb_foresttech

Thought I would start a thread to find out who has trail cameras up and what type they are. Possibly we could even share a few of the pictures.

pappy

A bit cold to set mine out yet, tough on the battery ::)  but it'll be going out in a few weeks.. Got ta get a salt block out to attract the moose in and maybe a white tail or two  8)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

isawlogs

I have four , will also have them out in a few weeks when it warms up a little .
Hey Pappy, I have been using rechargebles in mine, They seam to hold there own up againts the wabbitt and the copper tops .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Maineloggerkid

I have one, but I am looking to expand to 2 or 3. I am thinking about getting Cuddeback digital cameras.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Jeff

You can see quite a few photos from mine on this thread.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,33201.0.html

There are lots of trail cam photos scattered around on the forum by different members.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CLL

I've got one and will buy two more before long. I have a picture of a one horned buck on here. C. L.
Too much work-not enough pay.

CLL

Just thought I would throw in, had 11 deer within 200 yards of house tonight.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Chuck White

I was watching the Outdoor Channel a couple of weeks ago and a "trail cam" commercial came on and near the end of the commercial, the guy said "or, to catch a thief"!

This got me to thinking about the sawmill.  Especially since I saw mobile, I could place one of these somewhere near my mill and if anyone came around the mill when I wasn't there, it could be used as evidence in case of theft or vandalism.
Anyone here use them for that purpose?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

If you are trying to catch a thief, use two cameras. One that is watching your property, and another that is more hidden to watch your camera watching your property.  We've had the camera at the cabin "erased" when it apparently was noticed by a trespasser.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pappy

Quote from: isawlogs on April 17, 2009, 08:28:01 PM
I have four , will also have them out in a few weeks when it warms up a little .
Hey Pappy, I have been using rechargebles in mine, They seam to hold there own up againts the wabbitt and the copper tops .

Marcel,

I had used rechargeables for a while last summer but the flash was just to hard on em and I started using a small car battery and that worked really well... The cam I got has a 12 volt port and I'd just clamp it to it... It worked perf, had the batt in an old battery box painted camo and the cam itself was black also... I don't have vandalism probs at the camp "Outback" but one never knows  :o...  I got a newer / bigger solar panel ( 43 watt) for the camp so I now got a 5 watt one to hook up to the battery ,,, although last summer I only had to recharge the car battery twice... It'll be a challenge getting the panel up high enough so people can't see it to easily  :P  That'll make it nice to just have to switch out the SD memory cards  :)

Chuck,
I got a friend that set one up on a one way road in and out of a gravel pit he owns,, said it helps the guys buying gravel from him a bit easier to stay honest ... He was told in doing so he had to put up a sign stating "security cameras in use"  suppose just that would help keep the honest guy honest anyway   ::)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

SwampDonkey

I might look into one myself. I know it would be a busy one on my woodlot with all the moose, coyotes and bear around. Not many deer around, but I have seen 5 in the last week in the area.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

A Hunt Club client of mine has several around their property. They have one located up on the roof above the doorway entrance to their pole barn which had previously been "ripped off" a few times. This one is solar powered with a panel in the roof of the building. No thefts yet since it has been installed.
~Ron

Chuck White

Quote from: Jeff on April 18, 2009, 07:50:18 AM
If you are trying to catch a thief, use two cameras. One that is watching your property, and another that is more hidden to watch your camera watching your property.  We've had the camera at the cabin "erased" when it apparently was noticed by a trespasser.

I like this idea.  This way, you could have double coverage.

-----------------------------

quote from Pappy;
Chuck,
I got a friend that set one up on a one way road in and out of a gravel pit he owns,, said it helps the guys buying gravel from him a bit easier to stay honest ... He was told in doing so he had to put up a sign stating "security cameras in use"  suppose just that would help keep the honest guy honest anyway.

I think this is a good idea too, afterall, look how many businesses have "fake" surveilance cameras.

Thanks for the ideas!  Chuck

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mooseherder

Here is a Moose from last summer on the trail to the stream.  Don't pay attention to the date on the picture.  It had lost it's place when I changed the batteries. ::)

nb_foresttech

Cool pictures! I have a new Cabelas 5.0 MP camera, manufactured by moultrie that I bought in December when they were on sale. Hope to get it out this week and put it up. Possibly I will have some pictures to share soon.

Mooseherder

Here is another picture from last summer.
The hind end looks like a small Moose grazing.

Thank You Sponsors!