iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swine flu (aka H1N1)

Started by Warbird, April 29, 2009, 10:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Pigman I think you are on to something.
On the way to work this morning I heard a piece on H1N1-A.  According to the reporter this is not a totally new strain of flu. H1N1-A was fairly prevalent in the 70s and 80s.  Hence many of us seasoned life-veterans carry some immunity or at least anti bodies against this strain.  WHO reported the strain contained and all but erradicated by the end of the 80s.  Unfortunately an accident in a chinese lab released the strain back into the environment.
I think it has been a bit over hyped but the exercise in mobilizing a response will bear fruit should something cut loose this fall. 
This is a good test of the mechanisms put in place late in 2008.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bibbyman

Son Chris is an RN working in a KC hospital.  Just got an e-mail from him saying that they are treating everyone coming in with flu-like symptoms like it may be swine flu.  Unfortunately,  the government is preventing them from getting any more mask – saying they are using too many.  He say the masks are only good for 5 exposures so if you have to attend to a patent that requires that you use a mask, you can run through quite a few of them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gary_C

I just heard last night that the MN governor already has a bill on his desk that will allow the government to take anyone, by force if necessary to isolation if they feel your health is threatining the public health.

Hype indeed.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

StorminN

Talked to my Dad yesterday... as I said earlier in this thread, he lives in southern Mexico, in the mountains of Chiapas. He said the country has been basically closed since April 29th or so... the government ordered all shops, businesses, everything closed except hospitals, doctors, and grocery stores... so everyone has been holed up at home. The government had said people could get back to work on May 6th, but some schools and such aren't open yet, so lots of people are at home until Monday, when all the schools will be open and things will get back to "normal".

Despite this quarantine, 10 people in my Dad's town have come down with the H1N1 flu... DURING the quarantine... one older woman is hospitalized, the other nine are non-life-threatening cases. My Dad thinks it's going to be interesting next week when everyone starts socializing again, going to work, school, etc. The weather is getting warmer down there, though... so it could turn out to be nothing.

He said the big panic was that Mexico initially thought they had more deaths... like 180... attributed to the H1N1, and that's what they reported to the WHO, which is what started the hype. With further testing, it's turned out that many of those initial deaths were actually cases with older strains of flu.

A doctor friend of mine here said the real test will be next winter, since this hit at the very end of flu season here. Someone else pointed out that it's been found in New Zealand, and they are just coming into winter down there, so we may see some spread in the southern hemisphere during their winter.

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

SwampDonkey

I was talking to the girls in the barber shop, and no swine flu is keeping them from Mexico they said.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

GIRLS in the barber shop?!?  ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

He meant the salon DanG.  ;)  :D :D :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Yup, lady barbers, barber's post outside the door and all.  Call it a salon if you want, to me it's barbers. Even us baldies need a trim now and then. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

It's the end of the school year and the yellow Blue Bird buses are all up and down the highway hauling kids to "field trips".  One popular place is the state capitol building.  But not this spring.  I hear they have closed it off to school children due to the swine flu deal.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!