The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: what's the fastest growing pine??  (Read 14221 times)

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
Re: what's the fastest growing pine??
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2001, 03:31:09 PM »
lw

Tamarack is the native larch.  In plantations, they often plant Japanese larch.  I think there is also a European larch.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2001, 04:36:28 PM »
There is a European Larch. It was pointed out to me on paper company Lands in the U.P.  It had been planted as an outside row on blocks of Pine. I figured the stands to be about 50 years old by counting limb growth on the pine.

The European Larch seemed to me to be fuller, and have a lacier appearance to the Eastern Variety.  This must be a beautiful site in the fall from the air. All of these blocks of green with the golden border of the larch.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

lylera

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2001, 11:00:25 PM »
I'd put my money on the larch in snow country,[first snow 2 days ago] but 20 years umm,got you by 2 years Charlie, how about 10? I like the Larch for the color, we use it like Hemlock for barn siding,doesn't seem to get shake, and makes better fence posts than cedar,Ihave heard the lumber called poor man's cherry.Does anyone know the difference between European&Japanese species? Our state nursery used to sell both, and where does Eastern Tamarack fit in?

Online Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2001, 08:13:46 PM »
Jack pine is "second" fastest growing pine; loblolly pine is fastest growing pine.
~Ron

Offline John_Boisselier

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2001, 07:10:32 PM »
Several years back, we contracted to plant several million trees for state, private parties, and timber companies across Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennesee.  At least 95% of those trees were loblolly because virtually nothing else had the rate of growth and return on investment.  Only pine beetles, and ice storms seem to slow them down.  The rest were mostly long leaf pine for poles and some other specialty markets.  You would hardly believe how big some of those plantations are already.  Totally astounding, and I saw the little tykes as mere sprouts.   :D
The Woodsman

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 05:10:49 AM »
"On a predetermined date/time (hopefully before the ground freezes) everyone plant your tree."

OK, but there's a coupla' guys here wondering what frozen ground is. They have a 13 month growing season too :D :D.

When I was working just south of Duluth a few years back, the jack pines were looking really sickly and they were removing them and leaving the reds. Never heard what the problem was.

Maybe sweet fern blister rust.

I had a Japanese larch the sapsuckers chewed up, I still have my European larch. It has been planted 20 years ago and now is 12" DBH and 30 feet tall before this year's new growth. I planted jack pine at the same time and they were much slower growing, maybe 5-6" at DBH and 16-18 feet tall. They are all on my lawn. The European larch has branch tips with a yellowish tinge and the Japanese has a reddish ting to the branch tips. My white pine I planted in 2002 have grown faster than the jacks, and they are plantation grown and planted in partial shade to keep weevils away. The main species of the plantation is black spruce planted in 1996 and 1998.
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 08:58:55 AM »
Gday

This is a subject ive had alot of intrest in for years now around home on the nrthn side off the great divide Radiata runns at about 35-40 years for a nice tight grained sawlog about 24" DBH  ;) ;D 8) and on the southern side its about 27 to 30 years  ;) ;D

If you go to NZ they can get a 28 to 30 " dia tree in about the 20 yrs old mark hows that for growth rates  :o :o :) :) ;) :D :D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 04:27:17 PM »
I've also seen some shake issues with extremely fast growing pines.  A neighbor of mine sawed some 6x6 posts out of some young loblolly.  These trees were putting on better than an inch of diameter a year.  After sitting on his yard for a month, the posts developed noticable shake.  You could take a hammer and drive a three inch diameter core out of the center.  It made some interesting looking wooden culverts.  I'm not sure if it was bacterial, wind, or just fast growth related.   ;D ;D 
You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you cant kill the spirit of patriots and when theyve had enough this madness will end.
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 06:18:49 PM »
I've seen pin cherry do that when stacked a while like firewood. It all came apart like an onion at the growth rings.
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Fastest Growing Tree in the World

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on Sawmills and Milling

44 Replies
Last post October 20, 2014, 06:40:22 PM
by davidlarson
xx
what is the fastest growing hardwood tree for Pennsylvania

Started by Col on Ask The Forester

20 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 05:17:01 AM
by Ron Wenrich