iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Savannah, Ga.

Started by DanG, September 02, 2003, 11:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I spent last weekend in Savannah, where my daughter lives. Got a full dose of being a Grandpa, with lots of knee-bouncing of the 11month Gdaughter, was regaled with stories of the six year old's first week in first grade, and read Green Eggs and Ham 42 times to the 3 year old twins.
I also made my way up and down a few of the many streets of stately old mansions. There are literally hundreds of them, all on streets lined with huge live oaks draped with Spanish Moss.  That city has more of the charm of the true "Old South" than any other I know of. It is really worth a look if you're in the neighborhood.
The funnest thing I did was to take the whole mob to the Flea Market. ???  I know it sounds silly, but they have the best one I ever saw. It is huge, but the interesting thing is that it is sort of a museum, too.  There are dozens of old tractors and implements, farm parephenalia, old cars, etc sitting around everywhere. Some are restored, and some are patiently awaiting their turn. There is even a grist mill where you can watch them grind your meal or grits as you buy it. :)  There are also several old buildings that have been moved there, such as old barns, corn cribs and houses.
I always stop in whenever I am there on a visit, and there is always a bunch of "new" old stuff to see.
A couple of interesting things were; an old Studebaker that was built like the El Camino, sorta half car/half truck. Looked to be from the late 50's. I had only ever seen one or two of them before.  Another thing was for sale in one of the booths. Fellow had an old Maytag 2 cylinder washing machine engine. It looked to be in great shape. For those who haven't seen one, it is a tiny, aircooled opposed cylinder gasoline engine. The guy wanted $200 for it. It even still had the kick-starter complete with the rubber pad still on it! :)

Keller's Flea Market is just off I-95 at the intersection of US 17 and Ga. 204, open Sat. and Sun.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bud Man

Right on DanG, You ain't really in The Deep South lessn There's Live Oaks or Cypress with Spanish Moss hanging on em !  Everytime I see Spanish Moss hanging on a mature stand of trees I'm reassured I'm in the Grandest part of the country "Dixie-land" When I'm in such woods I forget all the woes of life and instantly become at peace with the world.    BTW--Happy B-Day
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Weekend_Sawyer

Heay DanG,

Did you make it out to Tybee Island? I have been going there since I was a kid.

WS
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DanG

Nope, we didn't get out to Tybee this time. We have been there several times in the past...pretty neat place. I'm not that much of a "beach person" however, so I don't encourage the mob to go there unless I have plenty of time to kill. ;D
I really wanted to go to Williams Seafood for supper, but the many aspects of running a household full of little ones just wasn't conducive to such a venture at that time.  :-/

Say, if you're really into the beach scene, you should poke a new sparkin' plug in yer motor scooter and head down this way. The best beaches in the world are right at my back door. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Weekend_Sawyer

Heay DanG

I  have been out a while, see my post on the members forum.
Anyway, don't be surprized, I might be headin your way next spring. I bought my bike in Ocalla and been thinkin of headin for the pan handle. Never seen it before.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DanG

Hey, that would be cool, Jon!  8) 8)  I hope it comes together. There's lots of neat stuff to see and do if ya know where to look. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!