iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sycamore

Started by bandmiller2, September 02, 2009, 08:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I have never tried to mill sycamore is it worth the trouble,what is it good for.I can have a couple of 24to30" for the hauling 12' legnth.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

CLL

In this weather you better cut it and nail it in the next few hours, or it will shell and warp big time.
Too much work-not enough pay.

tyb525

Quarter saw it, it is more stable that way and can have beautiful ray fleck.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

I've sawed several jobs that were V-grooved and used as paneling on walls.  I've made clocks and jewelry boxes out of it.  Beautiful wood.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

James P.

Hi Frank , I did woodworking and never used it but it is said to dry well if quarter sawn , flat sawn tends to warp and cup but takes stain better than quartersawn. It handles like cherry but heats tooling sometimes like maple. Its useable. but not durable, used for furniture flooring, handles butcher blocks, carves easily and is a good turning wood. glues up well with all adhesives. I have had plenty of opportunities to get some sycamore but its in short firewood chunks and its hard splitting. They had a big protest save the sycamores here in Delaware. They are the sidewalk trees that tend to get in the way of dot projects. good luck at whatever you choose. you could always heat your home with it. especially if it wasn't a good idea.

brdmkr

I sawed up a couple of logs.  QS has rays that are incredible.  Mine is AD and the QS is pretty stable.  I have not built anything with it, but it will be something that will show off the rays.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

ely

all thats said is true. also i leave a log or two laying in the pile and saw them later for some great looking spalt. i like to saw them thick if i am sawing green logs, my planer can take out alot of cup and warp. mostly i use em for paneling flooring and furniture. i did use some for a counter top in my outhouse, and i truely hated to cover it up once i had it installed. very pretty wood imo.

WDH

If you use it in a project, it must be at equilibrium moisture with the in-use environment.  Otherwise as it gains or loses moisture, it is sure to twist and cup.  Don't ask me how I know this  :).

It would be gorgeous as paneling where the boards are free to move as individuals.  In a wide panel, it is trouble.

Chalk it all up to spiral grain.  Without these disabilities caused by the spiral grain, I am confident it would be one of the more popular woods.  There is a reason why there is no real solid commerial market for it except as pallet wood, crating, and dunnage.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

apm

Have your offbearer take two steps backwards, away from the mill. When flat sawn, the board will curl around far enough coming off the saw to knock him down if he stands in his regular place.  ;D As stated, it's beautiful when quartersawn. We've used it for small projects, jewelry boxes, etc. Sycamore is America's largest hardwood/deciduous tree.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

I like !!!  That's showing off just how pretty it can be.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ARKANSAWYER

Nope it is Junk.  Best to bring it down here and let me throw it in the holler out back.

ARKANSAWYER

DRB

Quarter sawn sycamore is really pretty, I think flat sawn a bit plain normally.  The trees grow big but they often hollow out badly.  I would go for it if I had a mill and was offered some.

bck

Check out this guitar. Looks like even the neck is sycamore, wonder how hard it is going to be to keep it straight  ?, cheap too  :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Santa-Cruz-H-13-All-Sycamore-Guitar-and-Case_W0QQitemZ390001598967QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item5acde821f7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Ron Wenrich

When I first started working in this business, I worked with a guy from Jamestown, NY.  He was older and had talked to many of the oldtimers when he was younger.  There were lots of furniture makers up in the Buffalo area back around the turn of the century.  A lot of them came from Europe.

His story was that the better furniture had sycamore drawer sides and bottoms.  The reason is that sycamore is an oily wood, and the drawers wouldn't squeak.  They also used to veneer sycamore for berry boxes.

I've never seen too many problems with sycamore in my area.  I think a lot has to do with where you're at.  We've sold sycamore to a local mill that quarters it.  His prices start at $8/bf and go to $18 for 12"+ 16/4.  So, basically, its junk.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Chico

Nice guitar but it'd have to feed me before I paid that for it I have some pretty nice instruments and I don't have that much in all of them together ;D It's beautiful tho
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Thank You Sponsors!