The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: home-made hydraulics  (Read 81281 times)

Offline dgnorton

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: home-made hydraulics
« Reply #220 on: January 02, 2017, 01:20:42 PM »
I'm considering an LT15 Wide. Anyone tried Pineywoods' log tuner / clamp on one of those? Wondering if it will work with the dimensions shown in the drawing from years ago. Also, anyone know what the dimensions of the main box beams are on an LT15 Wide and what the distance is between them? I'm working on a 3D model of it in Sketchup, which I'll post when it's finished.

Thanks

Offline D6c

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2017, 02:34:03 PM »
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Crossroads,
Your mill looks to be about the same vintage as my LT40 and you've done some of the same mods.  I raised the deck with 2 x 2 box tubing and added extensions to the back stops, although I made mine removable....they're 2 x 2 with a piece of 1 3/4 inside so they just drop down in the back-stops.

Been looking into add hydraulic to my saw and ran across this thread.....lots of ideas to consider.  I looked at a newer LT28 with the 2-axis clamp and would like to add one of those if I can get it to fit.  Along with an arm type turner it would make a new mill out of it.

Offline D6c

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2017, 02:42:48 PM »
Here's a pic of my mods...
To allow for full width risers on the center rails I bent a dog-leg in the clamp handle.  Clearance between the clamp and the blade guides is close when cutting thin boards but it's workable. 
I had to cut another notch in the round bar of the clamp so I could get the lowest position just under the blade guides.  I also drilled a hole in the bar for a roll pin as a bottom stop.  That way it keeps the clamp handle from wedging against the top of the rails if you let it drop down (very annoying).  I'll post a pic later to clarify that.

Offline D6c

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
Here are the mods to the log clamp....bend in handle to clear deck lift, roll pin in round bar for a bottom stop, and an extra notch in vertical stops so it will lock in bottom position.

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • letís make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2017, 11:23:44 AM »
Looks good D6c, I had to do the same thing with the original log clamp. I like your idea for your backstop extensions. How long is your mill? Mine will only cut out to 16', that made things a bit more challenging, but doable.
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Offline D6c

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #225 on: March 02, 2017, 01:48:19 PM »
Looks good D6c, I had to do the same thing with the original log clamp. I like your idea for your backstop extensions. How long is your mill? Mine will only cut out to 16', that made things a bit more challenging, but doable.

It will cut 20'....the longest log I've had on it was an 18' x 30" cottonwood.  Made a bunch of pallet racking deck out of it, plus a couple of planks for the outriggers on my lowboy trailer.

Got your e-mail....I may give you a call and pick your brain about the add-on's you've done.  Thanks for the offer.

Offline Aroberts1226

• Member*
    • Share Post
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2018, 10:21:35 AM »
Has anyone tried Pineywoods log turner on a Norwood Mill? I just picked up a used lumbermate 2000. It has a manual log loader and roller but I would love some Hydraulics!!

Offline alanh

• Share Post
« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2018, 03:21:11 PM »
I wasnt aware that this thread is where my son got the plans for the turner. I just had the hoses made and soon will

be posting pics of yet another "PW" turner/clamp in action, More kudos to Pineywoods for sharing such a great idea.

Offline Boudreaux

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #228 on: November 08, 2020, 07:40:38 PM »
What bore and stroke cylinders are needed for this turner?

Offline JByrd

• 1985 Woodmizer LT-40 with home-made hydraulics
    • Share Post
« Reply #229 on: November 27, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »
To Boudreaux,
I built a Pineywoods turner/clamp for my old LT-40 and love it.  There are lots of details, including cylinder sizes, on the first few pages of this thread.  Also, discussion of some of the issues.  Installing a hydraulic pump, getting power to run it and doing all the plumbing and controls is at least as difficult as building the turner/clamp itself.
JByrd

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • letís make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #230 on: November 27, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »
I no longer have the LT30, but one thing I ended up doing was rebuilding the plate that attached the arm to the mill as I ended up bending the original working with an oversized maple that I had no business milling. I ended up making the second one out of 1/2Ē materials. It may have never been an issue had I used a 12v hydraulic pump, but the 6hp gas engine may have given me a little more power than I needed. Overall though, it is a great design and worked great. 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Offline John1946

• Share Post
« Reply #231 on: July 26, 2021, 05:23:24 PM »
Another Pineywoods log turner. Thank Piney and the forum for the plans. I had built my mill before finding this forum  A lot of good info and ideas. Thanks.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #232 on: July 26, 2021, 06:55:19 PM »
Is that a nitrous bottle on your mill?! You must be pretty serious about keeping that band speed up! :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #233 on: July 26, 2021, 10:43:11 PM »
Nice job on the hardlines.  Most people overlook the flareless tube nuts. Handy stuff. 
Isaiah 48:10

Offline John1946

• Share Post
« Reply #234 on: July 27, 2021, 05:25:50 PM »
Mike--- I used flare hyd fittings with the sleeve throughout. I thought these would stand vibration better.?
Greenhorn-- I take a little whiff of that oxide once in a while to keep me going, not really, it's just a temporary gas tank. Air filter is off while I hook up throttle and choke cable.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
made it home

Started by Wife on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post October 29, 2004, 01:28:20 AM
by TN_man
xx
Made it home

Started by WV Sawmiller on General Board

42 Replies
Last post September 21, 2018, 10:41:47 PM
by Don P