iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

90° corner for septic floaters vs a drop and float

Started by Sedgehammer, July 26, 2021, 12:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Putting plumbing in. Having discussion w/ my helper.  Putting in 4" line for a RV drain. It needs to make a 90° corner once horizontal. I'm suggesting a 90° drop into the 4" drain line. He says that's a waste and less mechanically sound, better to go with 90° sweep only.

Inputs, violent reactions all welcomed

Thanks
Necessity is the engine of drive

firefighter ontheside

I would say there's really no need for a sweep.  Its mostly liquid going down there and liquid doesn't care if its a sweep or regular 90.  It's the traps where most clogs happen.  Just make sure you have elevation drop all along the path.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sedgehammer

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on July 26, 2021, 12:24:06 PM
I would say there's really no need for a sweep.  Its mostly liquid going down there and liquid doesn't care if its a sweep or regular 90.  It's the traps where most clogs happen.  Just make sure you have elevation drop all along the path.
My thoughts are gravity with a drop on a corner vs gravity sweep, drop wins due to force of liquid and floaters dropping down while turning.  It's better even though one has 2 more glue joints

tawilson

And then do the black water first with the gray water last to flush it all down.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

firefighter ontheside

@tawilson definitely always in that order.  I empty my black tank, then my grey and finally my galley.  The galley water is always pretty soapy.  Also, I always try to time it so that I have a lot of grey water to dump on the last day so that the black gets washed down really well.  Its the least glamourous part about glamping.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sedgehammer

I misspoke on the corner. It wasn't a sweep, it was just the normal tight 90°

With that said, woodn't it be better to have the floaters dropping some while going around the corner if layout allows? My last septic work was in WI and the guy dong that wood always drop on a corner with floaters. He said that the drop speeds the floaters up around the corner to prevent blocking

firefighter ontheside

I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  As you say as long as layout allows.  Very often you're struggling to have sufficient slope.  An elbow takes up a lot of the fall in a very short distance.  You can do a little better with a street elbow.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!