iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Largest bent spoke cast wheel I have found

Started by Ironwood, April 23, 2010, 11:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I dont remember the thread, but I said I would get a picture of this thing. The paint roller tray on the bottom left is for scale. The wheel is 62" in diameter. Likely I'll never see another like this one. So neat.  ;)

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Chuck White

That's a neat wheel, I've never seen one that big.

I think Jeff was looking to acquire bent spoked wheels.
It was quite a while ago, but I remember seeing the thread.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

RynSmith

Possible dumb question alert  ::):  what was its original use  ???

Ironwood

Came out of a steel mill on the Allegheny near Pittsburgh Pa. Likely a "rope" pulley as there are cleats in various places around the wheel to add friction. Rope could have been natural fiber OR steel, but definitely NOT HEAVY DUTY use as it is not that heavy given it's diameter. That makes it good for my use, as a,..... ?? chandelier frame or table base,....???? who knows but definitely a rare item.  Small "bearings and drive pulley (small one) and bull gear still attached.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

easymoney

i wonder if bent spokes are stronger in some way or they made that way for looks?

Ironwood

Good question. Certainly there was an element of "industrial artistry" involved in machine design. Usually it seems to go in decade intervals. I would say this was 1880-1900. Casting was decent quality, and so I would place it in that era, earlier castings would be more primitive. I know it is 20 year interval, but come on it is only a guess :D

Ironwood

magicmikey

The early foundries discovered their larger pulleys developed cracks after pouring. The cause was unequal cooling of the rim,spokes and hub - the spokes cooled first. Curves became a solution, with more massive castings they had to resort to sections which were bolted together.
  I do agree they are more artistic, curves beat straight lines any day. :-X
   mike

SwampDonkey

Even on more modern stuff I see bent spokes on pulley wheels. Modern being after the second world war. ;)

That's a nice find Ironwood, but I wouldn't know what to do with it. :/ Work your magic. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chris Burchfield

When I was hanging out with the antique engine guys, I learned the French created the first "bent" spoked wheels.  These guys helped me rebuild  my Grandfather's 1923 Fairbanks Morse 6.5 Hp @ 350 rpm.  Probably weighed about 800 lbs.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

woodhick

You seem to attract the coolest stuff.   Sent you a pm also.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Magicman

I've been admiring that wheel assembly since it was first posted.  I just keep coming back for another look.  It's interesting to imagine what to do with it..... smiley_headscratch   smiley_idea
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ironwood

I think even at a 10:1 return I would not sell it, I had to pinch myself when I saw it, then again when the guy gave me a price over  the phone. Couldnt get back there fast enough to get it.

Ironwood ;)

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dave Shepard

What's the rust on that right hand spoke? Looks like it was disturbed somehow. Was it welded?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

WOW did you study that pic or what? Yes, it was broke, I did a pre-heat and weld, waiting for it to "rerust". Looks great so far, and I "tested" it and I must say it is a good weld.

Ironwood

Dave Shepard

It actually jumped out at me pretty quickly. I've seen a lot of welded spokes. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!