iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New - 3 Wheeled LogRite Arch

Started by DR_Buck, May 15, 2010, 12:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Tomorrow morning I'm going to pick up some walnut and maple logs.   Problem is, they are in a back yard that I can not get my trailer into.   Usually I have a couple options when this is the situation.  With small logs I can use my LogRite Junior Arch and just walk them out.  The next option is drag the logs with my winch cable if I can get within 100 feet of them.  This usually messes up yards pretty bad and not recommended.  The 3rd option is to use my LogRite ATV arch.  Problem with this is I need to bring along the ATV and arch.  This is a lot of extra stuff to drag out for a few logs.   So tonight I got to thinking (this is both dangerous and in many cases expensive) that there has to be a better way to do this.      smiley_headscratch

smiley_sidelightbulb    My first thought was to use a trailer front jack-wheel on the hitch end of my ATV arch.  I decided that the wheel was to small and would most likely sink into the ground.   Then I though about using a swivel like the one on the back of by brush hog.   Problem there was that I didn't have a spare and they are expensive.

So with no firm idea yet, I headed off to Tractor Supply to see what I could find that might work.   There in the wheel isle it hit me.  smiley_idea   $60 later I came up with this.

It's a 10" pneumatic tire on a ball bearing swivel wheel.  

Four bolts and nuts along with two steel straps and I had a no-drill or weld 3 wheel LogRite adapter kit.  smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool

I tested tonight and it seems to work OK.   I was able to load and push a log around the yard fairly easy.  I can also pull it with the trailer mounted winch if it's to heavy to push by hand.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Warbird

bandmiller2

Good thinking Buck thats what keeps us ahead of the outher primates.I did something simular with my conoe,put a wheel on the little front deck,to portage flip it over and wheel it like a wheelbarrel,helps when your alone.Hope our friends at log-rite are watching would be a good factory option.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DR_Buck

Had a chance to use my Logrite ATV arch in the 3 wheel configuration again this past Sunday.     A  coworker from my day job had some red oaks taken down at his place and offered me the logs for free.  Free is good,  I just had to get them out without tearing up the yard.   

This is where the 3 wheel arch came in......

In this next photo, you can see that the tail end of the log is dragging.   This is by design.   I learned the hard way that a 3 wheeled arch going downhill out of control, the wrong direction, carrying a fully suspended 1800 lb log is not the best thing that can happen with witnesses.   ::)

Last year I also added a portable capstain winch to the equipment complement for log recovery.   This has been a real back saver.

7 new "free" red oaks arrive safely at home.   :)

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Coon

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

paul case

i was just going to say something about things with wheels having brakes. ;D ;D  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

metalspinner

Very good! :)

That looks like a good neighborhood to have a toe-hold in, too.  Lots of nice big trees.  I'm sure you left a stack of business cards for your buddie to hand out to his neighbors. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Very nice recovery job with the arch, and I also like that loader.   ;) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redbeard

Having the means to recover logs is a big plus especially with your equipment. Keeping someones property free of ruts and log skidding trails is huge. It actually will put more money in your pocket and save the customer money and less clean up work I think its called ergonomic logging ( hope I spelled it right). Nice set up you have.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Marc Thornton

I have had the same thoughts on adding a third wheel.  Glad to see I will not be on a goose chase when I go about it.  Nice work. 

You could always reverse your rigging to lower the arch down any hills.

Banjo picker

Marc T.  you are thinking outside the box...and that is good...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ironwood

Good idea. I spoke with Kevin about adding an optional wheel a few years ago. Mine had to be BOMB proof because of the weight involved. The ONLY wheel/swivel heavy enough was a military unit that is so heavy I can barely lift it with one hand ::) I think with such an outstanding warranty on their products it may have been the "weak link" that would break. I dont the real reason they opted not to offer them, but Kevin and Tam are so thorough in their approach there MUST be a reason. The dynamics can create some crazy forces on the wheel assembly (I went thru a couple until I found the mil. spec. surplus wheels that could handle the forces). It is hard to tell in the pics, but it is SERIOUSLY heavy duty, must have been $300+ has detent settings (and full swivel) and grease zerk.

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

clww

Ironwood-you'll never guess, but I got 4 of those caster-type wheel units 4 years ago on base. They'd been laying outside for years, so I set them free. Mine are about 9-10" tall wheel and are solid metal with no rubber tire. They go on our B-5 aircraft maintenance stands. "What are you going to do with those big things", the wife asked.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

zopi

Better...if you need to brake it going downhill very much, getcha a portawrap from sherril or bailey's can brake on the anchor end or on the arch end if you have to steer by hand..and the porty can hang right on the back of the arch...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ironwood

I still have two here in "inventory". :-X

I love Mil. Spec. bomb proof and well made. I have scrapped some army trailers but I cant bear to throw out the springs, mounts and shackles with all the grease fittings. You just dont see that kinda quality on civilian stuff.  :-X

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

whitepe

nice arch mods.   I continue to be amazed at the unique ways folks figure out to move logs and not spend a fortune doing so.

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

clww

Military builds most of their stuff bomb-proof.
Just like those log arches. Great work guys! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

zopi

Yeah...it just takes a stoopid, but motivated sailor to break them...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: zopi on October 09, 2011, 10:17:39 PM
Yeah...it just takes a stoopid, but motivated sailor to break them...

And believe you me, there ain't nutthin' that's sailor-proof!

Herb

zopi

No there isn't...had a kid break a chipping hammer one day...not the handle...the bloody head...still have not figured out how he did it...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!