iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mulberry tree question

Started by KyTreeFarmer, August 04, 2010, 02:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyTreeFarmer

I just pulled a mulberry log out of a brush pile(down about a year). Was just wondering if mulberry will show stain at the butt end if its got metal in it. I cut the root ball off it this morning and there is no stain showing. Tree came out of my old house site, just outside of a wood plank fence but no boards ever nailed to it that I know of. Not sure if I want to risk sawing it and don't have a metal detector.

KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

paul case

i dunno about mulberry but i have had some oak and walnut that didnt show stain from the wire nails and assorted other metals i have found more than 3'' from the metal. hit 3 nails in a pine log 2 weeks ago and they didnt even stain where the nails were. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

customsawyer

Pine don't show the metal very good, I would think that  mulberry would. Don't know for sure you might want to wait for one of these gents that know.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I don't know about Mulberry, but I ruined 4 blades today sawing ERC nails.  >:(   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

Galvanized nails don't show up well in oak or any other wood.  Some woods show when you're close to the metal, but very few show at the end of the log.  Muhlberry would be one of those that I would expect not to show. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

KTF,get yourself a cheap detector,I have one designed for a wood shop small and handy,that said I usally make the cuts and take my chances.I would try it with your bandmill don't take the risk with the headsaw.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

I have 2 metal detectors, the small one is the Lumber Wizard III.  Lee Valley Tools has it for $79.  This is what I turn to for a log that is on the mill.  It detects nails down to about 2" so is good for cutting 1-2" boards if you scan before every cut.  Very good for finding surface metal quickly near the bark.  Just the outer 6" end of the wand is the detector.  You can pinpoint metal easily.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=45125&cat=1,240
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kansas

I was trying to remember if back in the days of cutting hedge fence posts (osage orange) if I ever saw stain if they were in a fencerow. I can't remember them ever doing that. Mulberry is a close relative to hedge. It cuts fairly easy. You might try a cheap blade or one that is getting close to the end of its life. They are the best metal detectors of all.

Do bear in mind that mulberry will turn to the color of walnut fairly quickly after it is cut.

tyb525

The mulberry I've cut for firewood stayed more of a green/brown color, because it wasn't in the sun long enough. I like the way mulberry looks, but I haven't got a chance to saw any yet.

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

KyTreeFarmer

Thanks for the input guys. My brother has 2 metal detectors, maybe I can get him to give me one of them. Or convince Mrs.KTF  that I need one!
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

KyTreeFarmer

Finally took a chance on the mulberry in question. Not the best looking log but made some nice lumber. Never hit a thing......maybe luck is changing!!
KTF

Woodmizer LT15G
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Magicman

Now you gotta decide what you are going to build out of that lumber.  I was glad to hear that it was "tramp metal" free.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

You're lucky, Mulberry is notorious for growing around and enveloping metal.  Because birds tend to sit on the barbed wire fence and poop out the mulberry seeds, that's where they will grow.  I have ones here now that have enveloped tee posts, and barbed wire.  It' looks like you got a straight enough piece through.  Congrats.  I've got one Mulberry tree with two fairly straight trunks that have enough length that I might try cutting them someday.  Otherwise mulberry is a nuisance that I'm constantly battling to kill the new baby ones.  I'm planting a lot of black walnut and some oaks.  So maybe when I have a kid and they are old, they can harvest them, or maybe their kids.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

KyTreeFarmer

This will be the first mulberry I ever fooled with. Can't wait for it to dry. Magic, it will be fun trying to decide what to do with it. This was a two trunk tree that the fence went right between the trunks. Yes I feel lucky....maybe lucky enough to try to pull the other one out of the pile. Its not as big as this one though.

KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Thank You Sponsors!