iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a Bunch of ERC

Started by Fla._Deadheader, January 09, 2004, 05:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Trouble is, the really big (20"+) stuff, has Brown Rot in the center. Anybody ever mess with, maybe, inlaying different shapes that are cut-out from other types of wood and using a Router to cut the rot away, and insert the matching shapes ???  20"+ boards otter make some awesome tables with the inlays, EH ???

Anybody ever cut 36"+ GUM logs???  Got one of them, too  ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

dail_h

DH,
   With normal cupping and warp,a 36 in gum board would probably make good wooden piped ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

logman

I cut up a couple sweet gum logs last winter just to see how
it looked and acted when drying.  I've had them stacked in
my as of yet unheated timber frame and they have behaved
pretty good so far.  I think they're only about 2x10's though.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

GF

Fla_Deadheader you custom built your saw, what type of blade tensioner did you use? I am using a porta power hand pump and an looking for something a little smaller something like Linn Lumber has on there website but cannot find anyone that makes the type where you turn the handle.

Tom

Welcome to the forum, GF.

Have you checked with Woodmizer to see if they might sell you one of theirs?   It is a hydraulic ram with a screw-in handle on it that is self-contained.  Perhaps you could make it fit. Dead-header will probably have a better answer, he is quite a fabricator.  I just wanted to say welcome. :)

WV_hillbilly

Deadheader  do you have any slabs that come off those ERC logs that are in the  30" to 60" long and a 6"  to 10"  open face  with bark on the edges ?   They would only have to be 4/4 .
Hillbilly

Fla._Deadheader

Welcome to the forum, GF. Here's a picture just for you, (and anyone else that wants to look)  ::) ::) ;D  Someone else asked for this lately, also. Can't remember who though (Old Timers). ::) :(   GF, once we get the bolt (without the socket on it ) adjusted to the proper length, we just tighten the other bolt (with Socket) till it gets very snug, and then 1 "grunt". Works every time. There is just enough "give" in the system, so that we can control the blade tracking on the guides. Talk about great injunearin. :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hillbilly, You won't believe the slabs that will come off some of these ERC logs. They have ingrown bark and gnarly ole cavities and all SORTS of neat features. How many loads ya need  ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D  I will have pics next week, if we move the mill to the log yard, about 15 miles away. ;) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

WV_hillbilly

I would like to see some of those slabs when you get them cut  . Maybe we can work something out to get a few of them shipped up here . Or better yet when you come up to the FF picnic you could drop 'em off  . :D
Hillbilly

Fla._Deadheader

WV, ya might could drop on down here for the "Swamp Shenanigan" in April. ;) ;) ;) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

rebocardo

> Anybody ever cut 36"+ GUM logs

Nope, just 26-28. When dry it cuts easy with the grain. Almost impossible to split when dry. When dry, it has a nice white to it and a black kind of stain. I have noticed it tends to divide in a peace sign shape down the trunk if it is stressed during falling.

Makes a sizzle sound when used as firewood and spits out juice from the ends and makes popping sounds. Smells decent on the BBQ.

Fla._Deadheader

Guess it might make some good table slabs then ??? ???

Could use it for solid doors, also ??? ???   If it cups, we can build round houses and the doors should fit fine ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Bigdogpc

I've got some 1" x 17" x 10' gum air drying, boards are flat.  Built a couple of chairs from some, looks good with tung oil finish.

I ripped out the brown rot from some cedar and wound up with a bunch of narrow boards.  Inserting solid and keeping the boards whole sounds like a better idea to me...

Just curious but what is the going rate for cypress?  I think I'm gonna have a few logs tucked in with some trash ones...

Good luck with yur gum n cedar!

Fla._Deadheader

Hey BigDog, How ya doing ???  Are ya talking fresh cut Cypress or Sinker ???  Fresh cut runs about $1.25 to $2.25 bd/ft depending on air dried or Kiln dried. We get much more, wholesale, for Sinker.
   First, it is ridiculed;

WV_hillbilly

Deadheader

This isn't one of those invites for yankees to come down  south ,  empty out their wallet and go home is it  ?
Hillbilly

DanG

Naww, WV.  We wouldn't do a thing like that.  A'course, that ain't ta say we won't get a little Boo-Ray game goin' or sumpthin. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

WV, ya wanna be careful. DanG's in charge of the land-based entertainment. He's a sly ole dog ::) :D :D :D

When I started slippin around below the "line", I found that if ya Don'T carry a lotta dough, ya cain't lose a lot ;D ;D :D

Gonna start sawin them Cedar's on Thursday. 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodbeard

Will ya take us "cow tipping" I hear that is piles of fun :D

dail_h

DH, or Dang, or whoever is in charge  
    What is the date of the thing in April?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

WV_hillbilly

Woodbeard ya gotta be real quiet when sneakin up on them  and watch where your steppin . ;D
Hillbilly

DanG

Well, nobody seems to be in charge. ::)  I don't think an exact date has been nailed down, either.  The weekend of Apr 17 has been mentioned, but there hasn't been much discussion. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!