iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 280 vibration mounts

Started by treecutter, December 29, 2011, 08:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treecutter

My son has a Stihl MS 280 with failed vibration mounts on the handle attachments.   It came apart during use, the rubbber bushings popped out.  I believe we have all the parts but not sure how it goes back together.   It appears that a small steel pin with a splined end goes through the aluminum casting and plays a part in keeping everything aligned during use.  However this pin has broken through a part of the plastic housing it bears against and appears to be the weak piece affecting the mount system.  Does anyone know of a parts diagram for this saw that would show how this is supposed to be assembled or how to put this back together permanaently?

Thanks,  Ed

T Welsh

Stihl will not let its products or parts break downs be on the internet. you will have to get information from dealer and parts. Tim

treecutter

Just what i figured.  I'll check with my local dealer and see where this goes.

Thanks,  Ed

Cut4fun

Just look at the IPL I sent you.  ;)

JohnG28

You can get Stihl IPLs.  I'm pretty sure there is still a link on here to all of them.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

lumberjack48

You can't put it together permanently, the reason they break  is from jerking or pulling on the saw when its stuck or pitched in a cut or tipping a tree on it  :(

I've had guys that just couldn't get it, pull mounts out every day. They'd try an tell me the saw was no good, its not the saw, its the operator.  >:(
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

T Welsh

JohnG28, I just looked and found them and have bookmarked the page for future reference. Thanks for the tip.
lumberjack48, we have a crew leader that is hell on saw,s. he has bent bars and broken vibe mounts,broken side case,s he files chains down faster than a bench grinder. (he,s 24 and knows it all) and has an answer for everything. :D Tim

John Mc

Sounds like that crew leader isn't exactly setting a good example for his crew.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

T Welsh

Quote from: John Mc on January 01, 2012, 07:30:40 PM
Sounds like that crew leader isn't exactly setting a good example for his crew.

He is the owners cousin  :D  The owner knows about it and complains and still nothing happens,Friday he broke a muffler on a climbing saw and the owner told him to buy his own saw,s. he turned to his uncle and told him you dont pay me enough. If it was up to me,he would have a day off for that comment. Tim

Cut4fun

treecutter a guy that works for stihl posted a pic of the complete av broke down  for you in the 280 thread on chainsawrepair.

lumberjack48

I would of gave him a boot in the butt all the way down the road.

I had guys break something on a saw, then take another one and not say a word about it.  >:(
I started assigning saws to the crew, I'd give em saw, they were responsible for it, any on necessary break downs they payed for.
The guys that were responsible took pride in there saw, this worked out will for me.
The biggest problem i had was when i payed by the cord, for felling, bucking up and skidding. If the landing man got behind, the feller or skidder operator wouldn't help him get caught up. This doesn't work you have to work together or you don't get wood out. All i heard is thats not my job, they'd stand an watch.
So i had a pow-wow, I'd had it, i asked how would you like to get payed by the day $50. straight across 5 days a week, if you see something that needs to be done you do it. This really worked out, nobody was standing watching somebody else work. They were all busy little beavers getting the job done, i got twice the work out of them, everybody was happy, nobody could say they were over worked and under payed. [ 1974 ] 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

T Welsh

lumberjack48, Back in 1974. I was the young whip and learned from my elders and took note to what ever they would tell me to help me do a better job. it has payed off a million times over ;D. seems todays generation has little attention to detail and has no respect for some else,s equipment. Tim

JohnG28

Tim, no problem on the link.  I know I have found it helpful myself.  As for today's generation, I am from it and agree that work ethics lack greatly.  I hear more people my age saying "Where did you learn how to do that?"  Sure don't know how they will make it.  I learned from others since I was very young.   Can't even get my brothers to want to learn a thing or two, not often anyway.  And I still try to learn as many new things as I can every  day.  This site being a great tool for such.  ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

Tree triming crews are just tough on saws period .

Fact one of my favorite saws being an 038 Mag came from Orlando .Rocky J got it from a friend of his who had it almost destroyed by a bunch of rough necks in less than a month .

Every mount was broken plus the boot torn partly loose .The only way it would run like that is with the choke closed off only running only on the low speed jet .It's a miracle they didn't kill it .

It's just a fact some people just shouldn't operate  chainsaws .Just last sumer I saw a logger beating the pee out of a brand new shiny Ms 660 .I just had to walk away . :(

Al_Smith

Quote from: T Welsh on December 30, 2011, 05:28:59 AM
Stihl will not let its products or parts break downs be on the internet. you will have to get information from dealer and parts. Tim
:D In their minds eye Stihl thinks they can reign supreme with all information but we collectively beat them at their own game years ago .Ya see they forgot one little important thing that has bitten many in the buttocks over the years ,"yankee ingenuity " .We have and we will all ways . ;)

They make a good product though .I'll say that .

T Welsh

JohnG28,I didnt mean to be harsh on your generation, it is a few bad apples that spoil the basket. Al_Smith, I have seen this with many products that you can get very limited information and are subject to the dealer. if its a good dealer your OK,if not your in trouble. had an episode years ago with a Stihl chain saw and the dealer would not back up a saw that was 2 weeks out of warrenty. I wrote a letter to the company and explain my problem, a week later the area rep. contacted me by phone and said go back to the dealer and leave the saw with them and they would take care of me, and they did. some times you have to go above and beyond to get what you think is right. I do not use this dealer anymore. Tim

Al_Smith

All dealers are not created equal . I have one Stihl dealer that is 2 miles from my house that I won't deal with .Instead I drive 15 to the next one who is a prince of a guy .

Kind of funny because at the risk of sounding boastfull I have already forgotten more than the first dealer will likely ever know .All I want is the danged parts ,I already know how to do the repairs .

T Welsh

Al, we are in the same boat,the old dealer is 5 miles away and still in business. my new dealer is 14 miles away and well worth the drive. Tim

Thank You Sponsors!