iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well, I'm gonna replace the motor on my homebuilt bandmill

Started by duaneb, April 13, 2012, 10:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duaneb

I have decided to get rid of the 7.5 electric motor, just not enough power.  I have already purchased the replacement....it's a 65 hp wisconsin engine.  I know, I know it's big but power won't be a problem soon.  It's in good shape and plenty of power at lower speed.  1600 rpm is around 42 hp so I think I'll size my new pulleys for the 1700 rpm range, should save a little gas and less work on the engine.  Let me know what you think!

duaneb

hackberry jake

Wow! That's a lot of ponies. Is your mill designed to handle the weight? I've always thought that if I were going to build a bandmill, I would build one using an old circle mill track and carriage. Mount the band verticals where the circle mill used to be. Just thoughts tho, never gunna happen.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

duaneb

Yeah, it'll handle the weight but I do have to modify the top of my rig in order to raise my saw head as high as I would like.

sawguy21

I suggest running the engine at it's peak rpm. Making it pull at idle will lead to overheating, the fan needs to move air.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hackberry jake

And to think, I complain about feeding a 20hp. To get the most out of all that power, you might consider 2" bands, or at least 1.5"
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

bandmiller2

Duane,do you have any parisitic loads on your electric motor like a hydraulic pump,really with good electric service a 7.5 hp motor should handle things.Your not turning your band too fast are you.I converted my bandmill from engine to motor and found I was running the band too fast.Its always best to put auxiliary loads on a seperate electric motor if possible.Be aware you will have exhaust fumes to contend with after the convert. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

duaneb

No....the only thing the motor is pulling is the band.  I have got problems with the motor anyway, it was a new motor that has been dropped but repaired but it is blowing start capacitors.

duaneb

Al_Smith

They either are not large enough or the start switch is damaged .

Thank You Sponsors!