iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore

Started by rockman, July 05, 2012, 08:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockman

We had a storm blow thru this afternoon before I got home from work. It blew the top out of one of my largest Sycamores, (I will post photo's later).I will leave the but standing til I'm ready to have it sawed, it's about 30" on the stump. My question is, what is the best use of Sycamore lumber?

Thanks,

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

Woodsrover

Please don't say it's awesome lumber for this or for that....I had a 24"er pull out of the ground in my storm and I bucked it up and pushed it over the bank.   :-\

Tree Feller

Quote from: rockman on July 05, 2012, 08:58:01 PMMy question is, what is the best use of Sycamore lumber?

Thanks,

Kevin

QS Sycamore has beautiful lacy figure and is prized by woodworkers, (me included).

If the tree were mine, I would QS it, dry it and either use it myself or sell it to other woodworkers.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

Sycamore has spiral interlocked grain, making it difficult to dry straight without twist and warp.  It is most stable quartersawn, and the ray fleck is very stunning like Cody said.  It is a challenge to keep the boards flat after you plane them if they are not in perfect equilibrium moisture content wise.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

davch00

QuotePosted by: Tree Feller
« on: Today at 09:19:12 pm » Insert Quote
Quote from: rockman on Today at 08:58:01 pm
My question is, what is the best use of Sycamore lumber?

Thanks,

Kevin

QS Sycamore has beautiful lacy figure and is prized by woodworkers, (me included).

If the tree were mine, I would QS it, dry it and either use it myself or sell it to other woodworkers.

You beat me to it. I was going to say sycamore makes some might fine furniture.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I really like to QS Sycamore. When QSawn it will show a "snake skin" look.

I shed a tear when WOODSROVER said he pushed a Sycamore over the bank.  smiley_crying

" Make BENCHES" out of it and sell 'em. People love the look. Saw 2-3 inch slabs and let them dry and make a bench. You'd be surprised what a Sycamore log is worth.....with a little thought.  say_what

And if the wood is SPALTED.....That's gravy!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

That bench is still watching me  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 05, 2012, 09:42:26 PM
That bench is still watching me  :).

smiley_beady_eyes
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Once dried, it is very stable.  I have made several pieces of furniture from it and it also makes wonderful drawer sides and backs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 05, 2012, 09:39:01 PM
I really like to QS Sycamore. When QSawn it will show a "snake skin" look.

I shed a tear when WOODSROVER said he pushed a Sycamore over the bank.  smiley_crying

" Make BENCHES" out of it and sell 'em. People love the look. Saw 2-3 inch slabs and let them dry and make a bench. You'd be surprised what a Sycamore log is worth.....with a little thought.  say_what

And if the wood is SPALTED.....That's gravy!

On the narrow end of that bench...I see a tom turkey's face......... on November 20th.......... when he knows his fate. :o

Woodey

I have turned some nice looking vases from Sycamore.
You can see the "snake skin" look on the vase.

I had some logs that I let set to long, I ended up with spalted sycamore.  ;D   Wow, it looks good!
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

5quarter

something to note about sycamore...If the log has twist in it and you are going for true qtrsawn, you will be disappointed. you may be exactly 90° to the rings on one end, but as the log twists, the rays will very quickly run out. If you're log is knotty and/or has twist up the trunk, push it over the bank.  ;) I haven't had too much trouble with sycamore, flat or quartersawn. but I won't saw sycamore unless its clear and well formed. also, I will saw a few oaks and stack them on top. Sycamore always goes at the bottom of the stack.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

T Welsh

rockman, Its worth the effort ;D

. As other,s have said make sure when you sticker it up keep you sticker perfectly inline and weight it down afterwards. Not all logs are good for sawing,only butt logs with no knots, any knots bigger than 4" will twist like a pretzel. Tim

Woodsrover

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 05, 2012, 09:39:01 PM

It's still there.  Just pushed it there after this past storm and it's right on top.  The bottom 6' is still on the uprooted stump and there are a few 4' or so sections.  If anyone wants it, come and get it.

WDH

Putting the stickers closer together will help, too.

Kansas

A couple of things. If you saw perfectly quartersawn on thicker lumber, you will get flake on one side; you won't get it on the other. It has to be pretty well perfectly lined up to get it. Rift sawn may lay flatter than flat sawn, but really doesn't show the good stuff. Also, each log may show it better or worse than the last one. Not all flake is equal. Its been our experience that those logs with more color in them show better flake than ones that are more white. I don't know about other parts of the country, but around here, shake can be a problem. We did have a job with a lot of sycamore come in and not a single log had shake. Think Jeff has a picture of one we sent him for our website from that job but never has finished (our fault, not his-the website that is). All the years of having timbers logged I never encountered that clean of sycamore.

hackberry jake

I used sycamore for 80% or so of my sawshed. As log as the grain is fairly straight it makes pretty strong lumber. If it has crooked grain or knots, don't use it for load bearing applications.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Fil-Dill

Jake, how well will it take a nail or screw?
EZ boardwalk 40

Magicman

I can tell you that seasoned Sycamore is very hard.  Pre-drill your screw holes.

Having 20"+ logs helps with stability.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

I have a Hatrid for nails. I used 3" deck screws for the most part. I let it dry in the sticker stack for about three months, then built with it. I didn't pre drill for the holes and it works great. Some of the screws would squeeze out some moisture when they bottomed out so I know it was still pretty green. Sycamore is known for its inability to split. With dryer lumber you may need to pre drill.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Kansas

When I had my house built and they built the deck from bur oak from the mill, they never predrilled a hole. They used a hammer drill and special screws. I never saw evidence that they twisted any of them off. If you could do that with bur oak, it should be a lot easier in sycamore.

Bibbyman

We used sycamore to frame out our swashed.   It's hard to make long straight and accurate lumber out of sycamore logs as there tends to be a lot of stress to deal with.

We saw and nail right off the mill with water still squirting out.  Let it dry and it will crawl off and be too hard to drive a nail into.  But nail it up green and pull the bends out of it and it will dry reasonably straight in place.

We have sawn thick 1" sheeting for a couple of guys rebuilding and restoring log cabins.  The rafters were 4' spacing so the lumber was sawin 1-1/4" thick.  Both customers were very pleased. 

Put nail or screw into sycamore and its there forever.   You'll never pull it.  The nail may break off.

We removed one shed off the north side of the saw shed and replaced it with a major extension.  I used the loader to demolish the framework.  Or tried to.  I managed to pull it down and mangle it.  I ended up taking the chainsaw and reducing the framework to sizes small enough to handle and dispose of.   The nails would not pull out and the sycamore would not bust up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Indiana Robinson

Three of the old barns here on the farm are timber-frame and in all three the timbers are sycamore cut here on the farm at least 100 years ago and assembled green. It works great for that as long as it is protected from the weather. Those three were sided with SYP shiplap.
I need to replace several post in one barn and plan to saw them from sycamore from here on the farm (just because  :)).
All three could use work, one more than the others. I really wish that I had the funds loose (and energy) to do some serious work on them. Sadly everything you do on an old barn can get $$$$.   ::)

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

rockman

Quote from: 5quarter on July 06, 2012, 12:38:00 AM
something to note about sycamore...If the log has twist in it and you are going for true qtrsawn, you will be disappointed. you may be exactly 90° to the rings on one end, but as the log twists, the rays will very quickly run out. If you're log is knotty and/or has twist up the trunk, push it over the bank.  ;) I haven't had too much trouble with sycamore, flat or quartersawn. but I won't saw sycamore unless its clear and well formed. also, I will saw a few oaks and stack them on top. Sycamore always goes at the bottom of the stack.

Fortunately, This tree is on level ground and is very straight. I am glad to hear it makes nice furniture, I need to build a few pieces.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

jpmorris98

Made for a right pretty header arch earlier this year....

The remainder of the frame is white oak.

Thank You Sponsors!