iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK blade tensioner failure

Started by Ga Mtn Man, November 08, 2012, 07:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

Not the best of days today and no one to blame but myself.  The threaded rod on my blade tensioner locked up in the block that is bolted to the adjustable band wheel mounting plate.  No amount of grease and cussing would loosen the thing and the further I turned it (with wrench and cheater pipe) the worse it got.  Had to cut the threaded rod with an angle grinder.  Took it (the T-handle) and the block (with piece of rod still in it) to a local machine shop and had them weld a new threaded rod to the handle and drill out and re-tap the block.  Four hours later and $60 poorer, we were back to sawing.  All because I didn't keep the threads greased. :-[  DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU...GREASE YOUR BLADE TENSIONER! 

TK recommends lithium grease for this application.  Anyone know why?

On the bright side, the weather was absolutely gorgeous  and I was only 25 minutes from home. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I tend to favor White Grease on Acme threads, etc.  White grease is very sticky and for me, works better.  It is also very difficult to wash off of your hands.  I use Liquid Wrench brand white grease.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sawdust Lover

I had the same problem with my 2000 TK. It only had about 50 hrs on it when I couldnt turn the handle anymore. It looked like the threads in the block that the threaded rod threads through was a soft steel and it stripped out. I called Timberking and they had one here in 2 days for free. They were aware of the problem. You might want to call them and see what they could do for you. I fixed the other one so now I have one for backup. So far that's the only problem I've had.

drobertson

All I can say is Lith, is a good grease for pressure situations, as is moly, white grease is just by appearance cleaner,  I might add that a good dose of copper coat, seize protectant might be good too.  And even though I ran a PM program for years,  it is easy to get just a bit lazy or forgetful or whatever you might call it on lube,  AT fluid, any penetrant spray is also helpful in the meanwhile, not  that you did not try,( I bet you did)  coatings on some threads make a tighter fit, and manufacturing processes and threads can lead to severe interference issues also.  I would take it apart wire brush the whole thing, run a tap through the mating hole, and just give it a good clean up, Then lube when you lube everything else.  Just for the fun of it.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

White grease is known for it's ability to cling and stay put, but as was mentioned, neglect is the real culprit.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Sawdust Lover on November 08, 2012, 07:36:24 PM
I had the same problem with my 2000 TK. It only had about 50 hrs on it when I couldnt turn the handle anymore. It looked like the threads in the block that the threaded rod threads through was a soft steel and it stripped out. I called Timberking and they had one here in 2 days for free. They were aware of the problem. You might want to call them and see what they could do for you. I fixed the other one so now I have one for backup. So far that's the only problem I've had.

I did call TK and since my mill is out of warranty, they wanted $60 plus $20 for 2-3 day ground shipping for the parts.  So did the replacement they sent look any different than original?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Bill Gaiche

Moly grease is very good for threaded things and anything that slides or metal to metal. It gives a very good shear protection. bg

Larry

Mind has been sticky for 6 months now but it was a little stiff from the get go.  I've been keeping it greased.  I think the problem is the thread design and poor steel.  It should have been an acme thread.  I bought some acme all thread from MSC and plan to re-engineer when it goes. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ga Mtn Man

You're the second person to tell me that today. 

Larry

I should make a retrofit kit and start production. :D

I've really been holding off a bit to do a bit more figuring.  I got some new 1 -  1/2" bands to try, but the TK spring isn't stout enough to tension a 1 – 1/2" band properly.  I've been hunting for a new spring to make a one shot conversion.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fathead

Larry what makes you think the spring is not strong enough. I would think 1200 to 1400 psi would work fine.s

grweldon

Paul,

Thanks for bringing this up.  I've had my mill since June and I've never greased the blade tension screw.  I have some spray lithium grease that I'll use tomorrow before I crank up the mill...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

redbeard

Use some emri cloth 400 sand paper and polish and ease the sharp edges of the threads that will help the grease stay even you should be able to spin the T handle into the block with one finger. Keep it clean and greased. Blade breakage also is hard on the threads.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ScottAR

Lubriplate makes a open gear/chain lube with moly.  X357 is the name. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

rockman

After reading this topic, I am thinking greasing these threads might be making the problem worse. Heres why, If the threads are already tight in the block, grease will take up space in the threads and make them tighter, add some sawdust sticking to the grease and you have a real problem. If it were mine I would keep the threads as clean as possible and apply WD-40 or equivalent as needed.
My 2 cents.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

Sawdust Lover

I wonder why they don't grease them at the factory. I checked in the manual and it never said anything about greasing. I'm with rockman, I think the sawdust would stick to it. When I called Timberking and told them mine had failed they never said anything about grease.

Thank You Sponsors!