The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Dozer choices  (Read 14185 times)

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: Dozer choices
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2021, 12:53:01 PM »
We did the first real work with my partner's TD8E this past week. We were getting into a boundary of timber we bought. I started in through an old pasture of very heavy, as in shut down and shout cause you can't see anything, autumn olive with the loader and was getting nowhere so we went and got the new toy. I've got no real experience but it got the job done in no time working on a ~35% slope up to the woods. So far I'm happy, just wished the blade had more tilt.

Oh, question! The blade drops pretty rapidly, we rebuilt one lift cylinder that was spooging, the other isn't leaking externally. The blade stays up when shut down but drops when running. Is that an indication of one or the other, cylinder or valve internal leakage?
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2021, 01:09:30 AM »
 The blade stays up when shut down but drops when running. Is that an indication of one or the other, cylinder or valve internal leakage?
Now thats peculiar.  Hmm
Isaiah 48:10

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2021, 01:16:04 AM »
Its old enough for everything to be worn.  Leaking down is typically in valve spool clearance and external cylinder or hose/pipe leaks.  Piston seal leaks drift a little then stop once the same pressure is achieved on both sides of the piston IF and only if the control valve, hoses and cylinder rod seal arent leaking.  

For it to only leak down running is just strange to me on an older open center type machine.  There arent any load checks on the blade cylinders right?  

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2021, 07:34:17 AM »
There aren't any load checks. We noticed the blade was still up the other morning after my partner had shut down the night before with it up. I generally leave everything down so that observation was a one off. I'll try that a few more times to make sure it wasn't in some kind of bind.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Online Ventryjr

• Share Post
    • The Rusty Mill
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2021, 07:40:46 AM »
My dads got a old 80s dresser dozer and that thing is a work horse. I Would recommend to a friend. I used it to clear most of my mill site recently 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Back again....making multi-colored sawdust
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2021, 09:21:58 AM »
I have no experience with the Dressers, but my dad had two International TD-6's from the 50's, and later had a Cat D-4 (1949) and two D-6's and a D-2 of similar age. I used a JD 350A (actually a frankinstein machine, but had the drive system of a 350A), and had to help change out a steering clutch on it. I was appalled to find there was no way to do it without removing the track and final drive box. Seemed like Dad was able to replace steering clutches on the TD-6 without removing the final drive (what a pain!). But it's been a while. If you can access and remove steering clutches without disassembling a track, count it all joy. Not sure about the Dressers. I always felt the TD-6 was a well designed machine, except weak in the final drives (Dad busted at least three final drives and eventually parts became hard to get). A mechanic later told me that the oil level markings in TD-6's (and T-6's) was too low on the final drives, and that putting a couple more inches of oil in them would help them last longer.

All in all I think the biggest reason my dad tore up the TD-6 so much was from treating it like a TD-18. There was a giant stone, for instance, that he tried to remove from his field, and tore out the main clutch. Years later, he got that stone out with a D-6 Cat and we got to see just how huge it was......far heavier than a TD-6.  :o
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Wagner Farms, Dacusville, SC

Looking for the return of the Lord!

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2021, 09:27:16 AM »
Thats the reason ive let my grouser bars go bald.  Its a great fuse on my wallet. 

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2021, 09:49:34 AM »
A man (& machine) has to know his limitations. 

A sort of quote from a Clint Eastwood movie.
Trying harder everyday.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
653 Allis dozer Torque found, dozer running again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Striker on Wanted

1 Replies
Last post December 01, 2005, 03:27:05 PM
by tnlogger
xx
Chain Saw Choices-Why Do You Buy

Started by Saw Man on Chainsaws

21 Replies
Last post August 27, 2002, 08:12:22 PM
by Kevin
xx
Fuel Choices