iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dear Customer, Please don't seal the ends of your logs....

Started by Delawhere Jack, January 05, 2013, 05:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

20 minutes before we put them on the mill....... :-\

Robins egg blue paint.... Not shown are my gloves, sweatshirt and jacket, also newly painted....

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mikeb1079

ugh.  did they really think that end sealing em right before you came over would help?

wait a minute....i just remembered how goofy some folks are.  yep i bet they did.  so is your mill a baker now?   :D :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

Colored Anchorseal and then he wants it quarter sawn.  I have to scrape half of it off to see the rings.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I once got into a fresh batch of Anchorseal on some fresh felled SYP logs.  First, SYP does not need sealing for any reason, and then there was the mess.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

take a chainsaw and just cut a sliver off the ends.. mess gone :)
customers do stupid things all the time. its our job to be able to stay one step ahead of them on fixin stupid ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

SPIKER

Might he been attempting to keep HIS LUMBER his (thinking you may like his log better than the stuff in you shed already?)   One of my neighbors told me if I take any logs to (local Amish guy) he will keep the best wood and give you all the ????? laying around in place of your great wood. ::) :D

I like the idea of cutting a cookie off the ends. ;)
M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Peter Drouin

Quote from: red oaks lumber on January 05, 2013, 07:41:01 PM
take a chainsaw and just cut a sliver off the ends.. mess gone :)
customers do stupid things all the time. its our job to be able to stay one step ahead of them on fixin stupid ;D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Delawhere Jack

Truth be told, it was sort of my fault. I told him as I was setting up that he should seal the ends.......

All in all just a minor annoyance amusement... :D He did have some beautiful white oak. We were both tickled with the quality of the boards coming off the mill. ;D

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 05, 2013, 06:12:36 PM
At least you want crack Jack.  :)

I had to read that 3x's before I got it..........Yuck-Yuck-Yuck, Hee-Hee!!!

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: SPIKER on January 05, 2013, 07:46:37 PM
Might he been attempting to keep HIS LUMBER his (thinking you may like his log better than the stuff in you shed already?)   One of my neighbors told me if I take any logs to (local Amish guy) he will keep the best wood and give you all the ????? laying around in place of your great wood. ::) :D

M

He had white and red oak, and initially he was going to paint the two different colors so he could tell them apart after they were milled. I told him that wouldn't be necessary........

drobertson

cutting the ends off is sop, here.  we have to see the wood grain and possible steel, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Art_H

Yeah... I soon came to the conclusion that you can't help people form themselves.

And...

The customer isn't always right...They just have to feel they are.

From a career infantry soldier's perspective, both have been a challenge on occasion.

Sawdust Lover

Nomad

Quote from: Sawdust Lover on January 05, 2013, 10:46:08 PM
Be thankful he didn't use roof sealer. >:(

You beat me to it.  That's grounds for divorce, right there!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Meadows Miller

Don't you love that  :) ??? :P ::) Are you going to charge a Mill Detailing Fee on these ones Mate  :) :)  ;) :D :D :D :D seriously I think you should  ;)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

chevytaHOE5674

If you have enough extra length clip cookies off the ends so you don't have to deal with it. Even dry that stuff can be nasty to work with.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: SPIKER on January 05, 2013, 07:46:37 PM

M
I suppose it's possible, but I really doubt it. I was milling at his place,  and he would probably have noticed if I tried to take his wood after charging him to mill it.
I think some people get colored Anchorseal because they like the color and think they're getting something special.  Would anyone really cut off the customer's end coating?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 06, 2013, 02:51:21 PMWould anyone really cut off the customer's end coating? 

Some might, and some will.  I will not.  The customer paid good money for the Anchorseal plus spent the time to seal the ends so it would be an insult for me to whack them off.  The exception would be not being able to see the end grain to properly QS, etc.  Sometimes we just need to lighten up, smile, and let life happen.

I do regularly saw off dirty ends.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

if the endcoat is fresh like the picture showed i would either cut the ends off or pack up the mill. why do you guys think this is acceptable?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: red oaks lumber on January 06, 2013, 06:43:58 PM
if the endcoat is fresh like the picture showed i would either cut the ends off or pack up the mill. why do you guys think this is acceptable?

I like to crap regular, which means I need to eat regular...

It really isn't that big of a deal.

Jim H

I had a guy do that once, took a couple of years for the white paint stains to wear off the mill. Whenever someone ask about Anchorseal I recommend orange. That way if it's still wet it'll help the appearance of the mill. :D
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Kansas

Had a situation where a tree service took down one of the most beautiful veneer walnut tree I ever saw. Idiots cut the tree from a 16 ft veneer down to 2 8's, and never left hardly any boot. Friend of mine in another tree trimming business got involved and bought them. The other tree company had tried to take them away for free. He is a big anchor seal fan. He anchor seals them... in purple. No room to cut anything off. You couldn't see anything. But it had to be purple, because he is a K-State fan.

Thank You Sponsors!