iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas planer

Started by Seaman, January 25, 2013, 04:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

Bit the bullet today and ordered a planer for my Lucas, already have about $800 worth of work lined up.
Hopefully the learning curve will not be as steep as the slabber. Maybe even a little instruction book? . Probably too much to ask for.
Any advice from planer owners accepted, any comments from the peanut gallery welcome also of course!
I'll let you guys know how the first job goes next week.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

JohnM

Quote from: Seaman on January 25, 2013, 04:51:17 PM
I'll let you guys know how the first job goes next week.
Frank

Looking forward to it, Frank.  Hoping to join the Lucas ranks by years end but for now just watching and learning. :P  This peanut gallery has great seats! 8) ;)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

sigidi

Frank, biggest thing with the planer is to keep a record of the adjustment you make to the bolt in the gearbox... for my last 10-30 I wound the bolt 4 'flats' of the head when putting the planer on and unwound four 'flats' when going back to the blade. So far I haven't used the planer head on my new 10-EFI.

Not sure if the instructions came with it, but when you put the teeth on the planer to begin with, use a sawblade to lay the planer head on to begin with to set the teeth all flat and even with each other. Also you 'can' dress on the back of the teeth but I ended up cracking teeth doing it so I stopped doin that now.

Good luck mate and it operates best with seasoned slabs, post some pics ;D and congrats 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!