iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me Lucas

Started by dgdrls, April 14, 2013, 07:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

New to me '06 Lucas  8-27 ;)

A huge thank you to Mrs. DGD who continues to support my interest in this whole sawmill thing.
Many thanks to the FF members who helped with my posts.

14 hour day trip to the Granite State to look over and purchase this Lucas,
talking time with my college aged son!!

Wonderful guy, mill was set-up and we "demo sliced" a hemlock in no time.
Runs very well no funny noises and no crushed area around the brake.

Low hours about 400, Hour meter is out of sorts but I have no reason to doubt him,
4 blades, factory tool kit, sharpener and manuals.
He also included new banding tool.

Was snowy in the peaks of VT and is snowing here this AM.  :snowman:

Friend called last week to tell me he has a load of locust and I believe a Walnut ready to saw.

Lots to learn can't wait to get started

DGDrls

Bromley ski resort Vermont

welcome committee, He has three big boys like this he works regularly pulling sleigh rides and performing L.I. logging

sawing

packed-up for travel home

slider

al glenn

Woodkiller

Congratulations on the new to you mill. Looks like a lot of fun!

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

justallan1

Congrats on the mill. Hoping to see more pictures as you get it set up.
Allan

m wood

way to go dgd!  glad you finally found the mill.  I know you've been looking hard
I know you will keep us posted
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Nomad

Congrats on the Lucas!  You'll like it. 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

JohnM

Congrats, dgd!  You unknowingly freed up some of my day, I had planned on calling that guy today. :D  When I first saw the ad I thought of you.  Glad you got it and glad that's one less person looking for a used Lucas. ;) :D ;D

Looking forward to the pics!

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Seaman

AWESOME!!
You will love it. I found the learning curve a little steep, but I had zero experience with milling wood. Let us know how it cuts

Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

dgdrls

Quote from: JohnM on April 14, 2013, 10:50:39 AM
Congrats, dgd!  You unknowingly freed up some of my day, I had planned on calling that guy today. :D  When I first saw the ad I thought of you.  Glad you got it and glad that's one less person looking for a used Lucas. ;) :D ;D

Looking forward to the pics!

JM

The gentlemen mentioned their was an interest from a fellow in Maine.

When I showed up and we struck a deal he said "great when you coming back to get it?"
I responded "no extra trips, lets have the boys pack her up while we do the paperwork"

I installed the rack system Friday night in anticipation of this mill being the one to get

Thanks guys  look forward to sawing with it.

photos to come

DGDrls

Sawdust Lover

Good for you on the Lucas! And thanks for the pictures. Looks like you went through my hometown Bellows Falls,Vt. And go back to Bromely in the summer and check out the alpine slide.

clww

Great deal finding that Lucas! smiley_thumbsup
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Meadows Miller

Gday

A big congrats Dan I am happy for you and sure you will love it Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

400 hrs is nothing  :) i use to run the second one ever built and it had two owners who where both commercial sawmillers you can put alot of hours on one Mate  ;) ;) ;D 8)

Keep us posted Mate  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

dgdrls

Chris,  Thank you

I'm looking forward to being able to move this one around. 

I need to get acquainted with the unit and do some practice mobilization/demobilization.
I have about 6 yellow locust  waiting on me (more wood to finish my decks) then a walnut stem that looks like it has nice potential.

DGDrls

Nomad

Quote from: dgdrls on April 15, 2013, 05:58:56 AM

I'm looking forward to being able to move this one around. 

I need to get acquainted with the unit and do some practice mobilization/demobilization.

DGDrls

Like anything else there's a learning curve to assembly/dis-assembly of your new mill.  But it's not a big curve, and you really can't mess anything up.  Just takes a few times to get used to it.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

thecfarm

Have fun with your mill.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

Nice looking unit ,a friend of mine has a lucas about 6 miles from where i live. What town in N.H. was it in? just wondering how far away from me the mill was? Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

drobertson

Nice mill DG, looks like a dandy!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sigidi

Sweet mate!!!! two thumbs up, you are gonna love it!!! an 8-27 is an old gal, but a good workhorse and if she's only got 400 hours, then you are on a winner mate. Forum member Weisyboy had the same model until a few months back -when he got hold of a 10-30 (namely my carby 10-30...let me get into the EFI 10"  ;D)

Any issues with setting up, or any kind of q's feel free to ask away mate  ;)

Again good onya 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

dgdrls

Quote from: loggah on April 15, 2013, 12:45:23 PM
Nice looking unit ,a friend of mine has a lucas about 6 miles from where i live. What town in N.H. was it in? just wondering how far away from me the mill was? Don

Loggah,   Thanks, I went to Orford to get it. I suspect it may be the same one

DGDrls

dgdrls

Quote from: sigidi on April 15, 2013, 04:39:49 PM
Sweet mate!!!! two thumbs up, you are gonna love it!!! an 8-27 is an old gal, but a good workhorse and if she's only got 400 hours, then you are on a winner mate. Forum member Weisyboy had the same model until a few months back -when he got hold of a 10-30 (namely my carby 10-30...let me get into the EFI 10"  ;D)

Any issues with setting up, or any kind of q's feel free to ask away mate  ;)

Again good onya 8)

Thanks Sigidi,  I'm sure I will be posting some questions soon enough!!

DGDrls

loggah

Nope Orford is about 45 miles west of me,  different mill, you barely came into the state! ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

dgdrls

Today was the day to run a trial with the Lucas.

Did oil and filter change on the motor,
Oil change on the gearbox,
Air filter service,
General cleaning and a good once over.

First log was an Ash,  lots to learn still, but man I like that circle blade!!

That's the Lad having a go!

Ash log not more than 20 feet from where it was laid down

blade spec

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Nomad

Feels good, doesn't it?  It's too much fun to call it work! ;D
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!