iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skillet Pizza

Started by Planman1954, August 23, 2013, 08:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

I cook almost everything in my skillet. Tonight I made what I call a "Southwest Chicken Pizza." It is good! I've made pizzas for years in a skillet, and recently had a wild hair to make a chicken pizza:

Here's how I did it:
Grease skillet and sprinkle on corn meal. Prepare pizza dough. You can use any kind. Add a pizza sauce (I use the basic stuff from walmart, but I sprinkle a little sugar on top of it!)
I top it with a cut up chicken breast and bacon that I browned first together in another skillet, some sautéed bell peppers and onions (cooked in the left over bacon grease,) a little cut up pepperoni, some rotel tomatoes, and top with cheese. It takes about 20 minutes to brown the crust at 425 degrees.
Anyway, I enjoyed eating it watching football!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Mike@Norwood

sounds good and looks amazing

drobertson

Great looking dish! Looks like it would make a couple of meals,  the rotel is a great idea, a little pop to it,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

Yep! 8) pretty killer Sunday night dinner,   it works,  and tastes great! lots of fun and eating! 

thanks for the idea,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WildDog

Looks great, we havn't tried pizza that way, will need to give it a go.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Planman1954

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Love my skillet....

luvmexfood

Looks like a cast iron skillet. I use mine a lot. Just a curiosity question. Wrecken you could ever wear out a cast iron skillet? Belive they would last forever.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Planman1954

It's funny you should ask that. My mother (83) just told me the story...again...about her cast iron skillet that she received after helping some friends move when she was around 18. It's still the same. So the answer to your question is...they last a LIFETIME!

Jeff

I've started making my chicken pizza in out big cast iron pan. It's the way to go.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: luvmexfood on November 06, 2013, 01:52:43 PM
Looks like a cast iron skillet. I use mine a lot. Just a curiosity question. Wrecken you could ever wear out a cast iron skillet? Belive they would last forever.

If you take decent care of them I'd think they last forever. My wife was given my grandmothers cast iron when Grandma died. She has had it 35 years now. Looks just like when she got it.

P'54,

Good looking meal. Looks like the ultimate deep dish pizza. I'm going to have to try that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

21incher

That looks real good Jeff. I bet the cast iron makes the crust nice and crispy. digin_2
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sandsawmill14

i have an 8" cast iron skillet that was my grandmothers "bread skillet". it was given to her from her mother when she got married and was starting out in '45 or '46 (i cant remember which) and it was used hand-me-down skillet then. now my wife has been cooking cornbread for about 15 yrs in it ;D
i think we will have to try that pizza too digin1
the only way you can hurt them is break the handle off or bust them with cold water :o
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Jeff

This is our 2 handed skillet. 12" across the bottom.

Bark Beetle

That looks really good and I bet it tatses better than it looks.
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

Ianab

You'd have to seriously abuse it I suspect. Dropping it into cold water maybe?

One of my smaller pans survived a "burnt to the ground" house fire. I'd left it with the Ex when I moved out, and the house burnt down shortly after. Found the pan in the ashes under the kitchen sink. Had to wire brush a melted aluminium pan out of it  :D  But re-seasoned it and it's fine again.

Will have to try this method. I make pizza quite often, with fresh dough mixed up in the bread maker. Should come out fine in the big pan I've got that's similar to the ones shown.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

blackfoot griz

Quote from: Ianab on February 23, 2016, 11:35:47 PM

You'd have to seriously abuse it I suspect. Dropping it into cold water maybe?

One of my smaller pans survived a "burnt to the ground" house fire. I'd left it with the Ex when I moved out, and the house burnt down shortly after. Found the pan in the ashes under the kitchen sink. Had to wire brush a melted aluminium pan out of it  :D  But re-seasoned it and it's fine again.

Will have to try this method. I make pizza quite often, with fresh dough mixed up in the bread maker. Should come out fine in the big pan I've got that's similar to the ones shown.

She must not have seasoned the cast iron skillet very well if the aluminum one stuck. :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I like anything cooked in those old skillets.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red

Anything ? . . no I am not going to say it . . .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Jeff

MikeAM

Quote from: Planman1954 on August 23, 2013, 08:22:40 PM
I cook almost everything in my skillet. Tonight I made what I call a "Southwest Chicken Pizza." It is good! I've made pizzas for years in a skillet, and recently had a wild hair to make a chicken pizza:

Here's how I did it:
Grease skillet and sprinkle on corn meal. Prepare pizza dough. You can use any kind. Add a pizza sauce (I use the basic stuff from walmart, but I sprinkle a little sugar on top of it!)
I top it with a cut up chicken breast and bacon that I browned first together in another skillet, some sautéed bell peppers and onions (cooked in the left over bacon grease,) a little cut up pepperoni, some rotel tomatoes, and top with cheese. It takes about 20 minutes to brown the crust at 425 degrees.
Anyway, I enjoyed eating it watching football!

That looks real good. I have 2 large iron skillets that cook most of my meals, never thought to bake a pizza in em before.  I do make a ton of pizza on a stone using a no knead bread dough. I usually preheat the oven/stone on max 550° for a half hour and the pizza finishes in 10 minutes. Does the crust get crispy when you don't preheat the skillet?

Jeff

I form the doe in the pan, and then I put it in a preheated 425° oven for 5 minutes. I then remove the crust from the oven and add my sauce and toppings, and place it back in the oven for around 20 minutes.  We are making a Italian sausage/mushroom/black olive pizza for supper because I had extra ingredients left from last nights chicken pizza. I'll take some picks of the crust tonight.  It is not crispy, but it is golden brown and holds together very well. I'm guessing if you made it thinner, and pre-baked a few more minutes, or even used a hotter oven, you could get it crispy, but we don't like it that way.

4x4American

I was told that somehow they can crack if you leave them on the heat too long without anything in it?  I use my cast iron skillets to cook about everything anymore.  Even my ice cream lol
Boy, back in my day..

pappy19

Not true, in fact the best way to clean up an old crusty cast iron skillet is to put it in a self cleaning oven and let her rip. After the oven does it's cleaning, the cast iron will be cleaned to only a small amount of ashes. After that, I wash it with soap and steel wool, rinse well and put back in the oven at 300 for about an hour. Take it out and brush vegie oil or Crisco all over it, wipe off the excess and place back in the oven upside down at 300 for another hour, then turn off the oven and let it cool by itself. Your skillet is now cleaned and seasoned. Some folks use EZ-Off on skillets, but I like the oven clean method myself. I've been using Griswold cast iron for all of my cooking including skillets and Dutch ovens. To me, the old Griswold skillets and Dutch ovens were the very best cast iron ever made.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

sandsawmill14

i dont think heat would hurt them as i burn mine off to clean them.  use hickory or oak slabs build a hot fire and throw them in there and leave them for a few hours sometimes overnight if i get lazy or the fire is to hot  then i season them and there ready to go. they dont have to get red hot to clean them but i have seen them red hot several  time and have never busted one :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

4x4American

Maybe I didn't remember it right, I think maybe he meant that if you turned the heat up on high to get it to temperature, and then you forgot about it and left it on for too long, then went and tossed something cold in it, maybe thats how you can crack it?  I like how the old cast is smooth
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!