iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

14" bandsaw mill wheels

Started by Andy B., August 24, 2013, 01:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy B.

I happen to have a pile of parts that could be most of a bandsaw mill.  In the pile are some 14" wheels off a standard woodworking bandsaw.  From doing some reading here, it sounds to me like the lifespan of a band blade would be fairly short with the 14" wheels.  I did come across some older saws that had 14" wheels, but I don't see any current manufacturers using wheels that small.

Have any of you used a bandsaw mill with 14" wheels, and how much did it shorten blade life, or how long did a blade last?

Andy B.

Ga Mtn Man

I wouldn't do it.  You can get 19" (18.75") wheels from surplus center for about $45 each.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

bandmiller2

Andy you could try them,I used 19" on my mill and have never lost a band to fatigue they just get narrow and wonder after many sharpenings.Its my belief that its too much tension that shortens band life.Use thin 1 1/4" bands and declutch when turning logs or outher chores,the life flex life will likely surprise you.I would design your mill with space to replace with larger wheel at a later date if your not happy with the 14's. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Andy B.

Thanks guys.
Honestly, it wouldn't be a problem building the mill so I could swap out the 14" wheels for 19" ones at a later date.  That might be the way I go.  This mill would be for my own personal use, not a business.  I have absolutely no idea how many hours per year I would put on it, that was why I'm trying to use mostly stuff I have laying around initially.

Andy B.

ladylake

Swapping out later would be lots of work as you'd have to redo the guide rollers also.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

two-legged-sawmill

Yes. The Ross band mill had 10" wheels and a 1" Blade, not a good set set up, but some are still being used. Today we would not even consider it  as a good Hobby Mill. How ever Mr Ross should be remembered as a pioneer to the small mill group. I have no idea how many he manufactured, how ever I sold 88 of them for him. The first 40 at $4495. the next 48 at $4995. I could never figure out why the big price increase as the last one's were stll idendical to the first ones built!  Dan
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

Thank You Sponsors!