iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WoodMaxx Blades

Started by WellandportRob, November 24, 2013, 08:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WellandportRob

Has anyone tried WoodMaxx blades?  I had a sales guy at my place the other day claiming that these blades out of Mexico are just as good if not better than what I am using and 1/3 the price.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It won't hurt to try one of his blades,,,,,I hope it doesn't anyway,  :) I just can't see a good blade coming out of Mexico.

What blade are you using now?

Personally I use ONLY Woodmizer blades. I am in their re-sharp program and therefore I can focus on other things that need my attention.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Hello WellandportRob, and welcome to the Forestry Forum!

I haven't heard anything about WoodMaxx blades, from what you say, they should work pretty well.

Did the sales person give you a couple of samples to try?

Judging from your user name, I take it you are near the port of the Welland Canal!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WellandportRob

He is going to ship me some samples.  I do have my concerns over quality i.e.(welds).  I'm currently using Lennox blades with no complaints. Yes Chuck I am near the Welland Canal.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

NMFP

Those bands are just as good as WM, and actually they hold up a little better.  I have numerous guys close by that I sharpen for and they are picky.  They love woodmaxx blades and they are nice to sharpen. 

Also, there is a guy in adams county somewhere I just started sharpening for and he runs about 120-140 bands per month, all of which are woodmaxx bands.  The nice thing is they offer .042, .045 and .050 thickness. 

The profiles are very close to wm and wm cbn wheels sharpen them easily.

thecfarm

Adams County,went there antiquing many years ago.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WellandportRob

Thanks NMFP, I should get my sample in the mail shortly.  I'll let you know how they work out on my mill.

Tom the Sawyer

I tried a couple of Kasco WoodMaxx 7° blades and they worked great.  They are headquartered in St. Louis and I think their blades are welded there.  Price for a B-20 blade was about $14, they are sold in boxes of 15 blades only.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Cguignard

Any word on how the sample blades worked out for you?

WellandportRob

Blades are working great.  They sent the wrong pitch 7/8 instead of 3/4 but I was too busy to send them back.  I'm using the 7 degree.

WoodenHead

Who are you buying the WoodMaxx blades through, WellandportRob?  And what type of mill do you have?

BTW, my in-laws are about 10 minutes from Wellandport (St. Anns).

woodyone.john

Hi WRob, would you care to pm me your contacts details. cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

hamish

Quote from: WoodenHead on January 17, 2014, 07:07:32 PM
Who are you buying the WoodMaxx blades through, WellandportRob?  And what type of mill do you have?

I get mine from Honig Industrial in Toronto.  A 144"x 1 1/4 x042 is $13.50 CDN and no shipping charges.

$15.52 per band delivered to my door.  They work great.  Don't know on the number of sharpenings I will get out of them yet (its too cold to mill most days lately).
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

WoodenHead

Quote from: hamish on January 17, 2014, 08:44:54 PM

I get mine from Honig Industrial in Toronto.  A 144"x 1 1/4 x042 is $13.50 CDN and no shipping charges.

$15.52 per band delivered to my door.  They work great.  Don't know on the number of sharpenings I will get out of them yet (its too cold to mill most days lately).

Thanks Hamish!  That seems to be a decent price.  I'm not sure how a 158" x 1 1/4 x 042 compares.  Do you have your own sharpening equipment?

hamish

Quote from: WoodenHead on January 17, 2014, 09:09:30 PM
Quote from: hamish on January 17, 2014, 08:44:54 PM

Thanks Hamish!  That seems to be a decent price.  I'm not sure how a 158" x 1 1/4 x 042 compares.  Do you have your own sharpening equipment?

158"x1 1/4x042 is $14.47 CDN.  I have a Norwood ML26, a Norwood profile sharpener, and homemade setter.

I was blown away when I got my invoice for 10 bands, $152.55 done deal.  For those local to me that are paying $15-17 +shipping +tax to get a single band re-sharpened............just hope I find there used band piles!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

WellandportRob

I get mine from Honig Industrial as well.  I'm at an isolated camp in Northern Ontario right now but when I get home I will send you my contact info.  15 blades 167 1 1/4 .042  $259.00 delivered.

NMFP

The bands are very good quality and sharpen well.  Now have another customer that purchased a few boxes of them and I am sharpening them for him.  He gets the same quality lumber, if not better than WM bands but when he buys 3 boxes, he is getting 45 bands at about the same price as buying 30 bands from wm.

Sharpen well and if you didn't know brand, you would think they are wm bands.

Excellent quality from a sharpening stand point.   :) :)

giant splinter

Many items manufactured in Mexico are of high quality, just look in the door jam of your Dodge pickup on the manufacturers tag. Hecho en Mexico.
roll with it

NMFP

Its funny you say that because I was just looking at trucks and asked the guy at the dealership where the trucks were made and he indicated most of the pickups are Mexican with some exceptions such as custom trucks and so on.  Nothing like a good old American Made Company!

I remember years ago, Nissan had some engines made in Mexico.  The Engines were made in Mexico, shipped to Japan, then shipped to Tennessee for final manufacturing of the car.  The kicker then was we had a customer in Russia that bought a few cars a year from us so we shipped them across the pond to Russia.  Its amazing how much shipping goes on in manufacturing. 

HaroldSiefke

I got a few of these blades the other day and they are top rate and cut way better then any of the blades i have used. I highly recommend these blade and so does my nine year old son he says that they are the only blade that I can purchase from now on. He says that they are twice as easy to push threw the wood than my other bands. I usually run the wood mizer silver tip, and cooks super sharp. Wood maxx are my favorite. I got the 7/8 pitch with 7 degree hook... 
Harold

barbender

I'll have to try some, I can't argue with your 9 year old, HaroldSiefke ;) Him knowing that they push through twice as easy, that's where the rubber meets the road, man! I'm glad to hear you have him out cutting with you.
Too many irons in the fire

WellandportRob

I have a Heartwood mill.  What a small world.  I mill all the time in St. Anns.  Message me next time you go to the outlaws and I give you the tour.

rasorbackQ

Honig Industrial do they have a web site to search for blades or does one have to call them?
Thanks for reading, Steven

Billbob

Quote from: rasorbackQ on March 25, 2014, 03:51:11 PM
Honig Industrial do they have a web site to search for blades or does one have to call them?

Yep, they have a website.  They charge $23.40 per blade for Lennox 144"x1.25"x.042" 7/8 offset with 10 degree hook.  I just bought 15 Woodmax blades from Kasco Sharptech for $13.50 each plus $32 freight.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

rasorbackQ

Billbob did they ship from Montreal  or the US. Was taking with a sales man last night  out of Ont. Sending out a couple samples . He told me they were shipped from Missouri I thought he said.   But I did get a quote today from Montreal  at $15 .47  plus tax and shipping.

Thanks for reading, Steven

Thank You Sponsors!