Logrite Fetching Arch

Started by thekitz, December 11, 2013, 01:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thekitz

Hello All - I'm in desperate need of any advice on LogRite Fetching Arch. My 3 local dealers have none in stock and I can't seem to justify buying one without seeing/touching it first. I'm in the Harrisburg, PA area if anyone might have experience with one ....... would love to see one at a tradeshow now that winter is here.  Thanks for any replies
Norwood Manual HD36 sawmill - Stihl MS391 - F250 Ford Super Crew cab - 16 foot 10k GVW trailer - Logrite Fetching Arch - 22 ton woodsplitter - best dog in the world to keep me company and discuss anything

Jeff

I don't have a fetching arch, but I do have a mark7, that is no longer available as it morphed into the buck.  There are available video demos for the fetching arch. You need not worry one bit about the quality of the tool or the quality of the company and the people that make them. Call Tammy or Kevin and talk to them. Explain your application and they will let you know if it is the proper tool for your needs. They WILL NOT steer you wrong.

http://youtu.be/fsYFkGjNFoI
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thekitz

Thanks for the advice Jeff. I do trust that LogRite makes a quality American product. I will call Tammy or Kevin to chat with them.
Norwood Manual HD36 sawmill - Stihl MS391 - F250 Ford Super Crew cab - 16 foot 10k GVW trailer - Logrite Fetching Arch - 22 ton woodsplitter - best dog in the world to keep me company and discuss anything

thecfarm

thekitz, welcome to the forum. I've seen them at shows,they are nice unit. What are you using it with? Have a sawmill too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thekitz

Hello thecfarm I have been tinkering around cutting firewood for 20+ years. With my wifes blessing, I just bought my sawmill - Norwood HD36 in September. I now have to think ahead of how to get these 16 foot logs out of the woods a little easier.

beenthere

thekitz
Welcome from here too.

Is there a reason for taking out logs 16' long?
Maybe if building requires 16' like for joists and rafters, but 8' logs are much easier to handle in log form, when sawing the logs (yield), and when stacking lumber.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tam-i-am

thekitz

the second closest  dealer to you is Penn-Holo in Schwenksville.  He doesn't stock the arches but this year he has sold quite a few.  He may be able to give you the name of his customers so you can call them or even pay them a visit.

Paul can be reached at 610-584-0877

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

AnthonyW

I have been wondering the same thing. Any dealers in southeast NH, northwest MA, or southwest ME have log arches in stock?

Any one in those areas readings that want to offer a demo of theirs? I'm thinking of the bucking arch. I'm concerned in real world usage with a 24" diameter 10' log that I won't be able to budge it by hand.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

dgdrls

Quote from: AnthonyW on December 13, 2013, 07:45:35 AM
I have been wondering the same thing. Any dealers in southeast NH, northwest MA, or southwest ME have log arches in stock?

Any one in those areas readings that want to offer a demo of theirs? I'm thinking of the bucking arch. I'm concerned in real world usage with a 24" diameter 10' log that I won't be able to budge it by hand.

Good evening Anthony W.  I have a Buck arch, it will pick-up quite a bit.  I moved a bunch of 20"+ by 10' Hard Maple & Hickory logs with it,
Sound like you may want to go to the Fetching Arch just to add some capacity margin.

FWIW I purchased my at the Local WoodMizer shop.

DGDrls

AnthonyW

Quote from: dgdrls on January 06, 2014, 09:24:16 PM
Quote from: AnthonyW on December 13, 2013, 07:45:35 AM

Good evening Anthony W.  I have a Buck arch, it will pick-up quite a bit.  I moved a bunch of 20"+ by 10' Hard Maple & Hickory logs with it,
Sound like you may want to go to the Fetching Arch just to add some capacity margin.

FWIW I purchased my at the Local WoodMizer shop.

DGDrls

I saw the video of the 60 pound son pulling the arch with a large log on it. Between that video and the others I think it is the way to go. In all of the videos I saw the arches were being used on flat (though not clear) ground. I didn't see any videos of anyone trying to pull the arch through the woods. Therein lies my concern.

Jeff

Real life use. Mine is a mark 7, which became the buck.  The arches are in my mind, pretty indestructible,

http://youtu.be/MWfkpJCoU84

http://youtu.be/L-vJGXjrwbQ

AnthonyW

Quote from: Jeff on January 19, 2014, 10:35:59 AM
Real life use. Mine is a mark 7, which became the buck.  The arches are in my mind, pretty indestructible,

I have no doubt they will pull through the woods with an ATV or tractor. My concern is using and pulling them by hand on terrain that is cover is sticks, branches, etc, and isn't flat. If a 60 pound kid can pull it on flat ground, does that translate to a full grown person being able to pull it over branches up hill? Please don't get me wrong. I believe the Logrite arches are quality built, but I need to know if they will suit my needs. I would like to see some real world videos of the arches in use by hand to convince me I should drop $1,200 on one.

Jeff

Well. they don't have 4 wheel drive and they don't have anti gravity devices. So. depending on the branches and the size of the hill, the size of the load and the size and strength of the individual trying to pull it, your results may vary.  They work for many many people in many different situations, but they  may not work for you if your expectations out weigh the physics.

John Mc

Quote from: Jeff on January 20, 2014, 07:51:46 AM
They work for many many people in many different situations, but they  may not work for you if your expectations out weigh the physics.

Yep, gravity can be a real bummer. If you can't push or pull your 1500# car up that slope, you're not going to be able to hand pull a 1500# log up it either, no matter how well made the arch is.

To give a rough idea (hopefully my trigonometry is correct):  If your wheels, bearings, surface were completely frictionless (zero rolling resistance), you'd have to exert about 130# of pull to move a 1500# log up a 5˚slope (almost 9% grade).  A 14˚ slope (about the equivalent of a 3:12 pitch roof) would take just over 360# of pull.  It gets significantly worse if you start taking into account the rolling resistance in the real world.

Basically, hand pulling is for relatively flat terrain, unless you are pulling lighter logs. If you get much slope, you need something other than human power to pull a good sized log. If an ATV or tractor is not in the cards, you may want to look at one of the small gas-powered winches.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Tam-i-am

AnthonyW  the Fetching arch was designed for steep slopes.  It is designed to be used with a winch line when using it on steep slopes.
The arches are great hand tools if the ground is relatively level.  The handle we sell with the fetching arch is called the two-man handle for a reason.  The capacity of the fetching arch is 2000 lbs.  And 2000 is still 2000 lbs whether it is on wheels or not.  On level ground like a lawn or trail on man could pull the loaded arch.  If the ground is rocky you can use that pumping action we describe in the Junior Arch video.

Depending where you are in New Hampshire, you could come for a visit and check one out. 
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper