iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Variable Speed feed switch

Started by Knute, December 17, 2013, 08:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

I seem to have a switch problem. My feed is jerky and sometimes the head will lunge ahead when the switch is turned to stop position. Could be dangerous. Mill has only sawn about 4000 bf. Anyone replace that switch and know approx. cost? LT 28 mill. Understand, I'm not complaining. This is a great mill and produces real accurate lumber.

drobertson

Not sure if it's the same as the one on my 40, but yes had to change it once, an easy fix, don't remember the cost, maybe 15 bucks,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Don't overlook the simple things like bark or a sliver of wood binding or under a bearing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Knute

Thanks for replies. I'll check it out.

barbender

Quote from: Magicman on December 17, 2013, 09:26:22 PM
Don't overlook the simple things like bark or a sliver of wood binding or under a bearing.
X2
Too many irons in the fire

drobertson

debris could be an issue, just never seen it a problem when the switch is off?   His is jumping while in the stopped position, if I read his post right,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pineywoods

1 it's not a switch, it's a variable resistor known as a potentiometer or simply pot.
      cheap, 3 solder terminals or if ordered from WM just plug it in
2 Most likely it's just dirty. Water, dust, (sawdust ?) .
3 There are other things that can cause that problem and they aren't so cheap.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SawyerBrown

I had to replace mine on my 35 at very early hours, but it just quit completely. Not sure whether it's the same thing or not on yours ...??  Circuit board was burnt.  I think they forgot to tighten the nuts on the posts during assembly and it didn't get a good connection and just got hot (they run a lot of juice through it, as evidenced by the aluminum cooling fins on the board).  So you might just check all the connections and make sure you're getting good contact.  WM replaced mine under warranty, no questions asked.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

isawlogs

While waiting for your new pod, you can take this one out, take the back off of it and clean it out, I used an erasser and cleaned the contact area and put it back together and had it on a long time before chucking it out for the new one I had in stock.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

JustinW_NZ

I've had to replace one (potentiometer AKA speed dial), if they get left in one spot for a long time the little tabs in the back get kinda bent outa shape and start being a bit jitterey (I had that issue).

So I try and leave mine out of the normal range or just change it around abit while parked up as well..

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Knute

All good points. I'll check everything out. Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!