iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cracking Ice!

Started by drobertson, December 29, 2013, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I got to hear for the first time the sound of 6 to 8"s of ice cracking yesterday, while here in southern Wisconsin.  Temps rose to the 40's while we visited Milwakee, when we got back to Paddock Lake the ice was sounding off, an unbelievable sound, I never knew of this kind of thing,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red oaks lumber

come farther north,you'll learn alot of things about winter you never knew.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Peter Drouin

And when your Ice fishing in the bob house and the ice cracks and the house moves. Or leave and the next day there's a reef where there wasn't one the day before. And It's miles long. How do get across to get to the fish house  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Quote from: red oaks lumber on December 29, 2013, 10:59:55 AM
come farther north,you'll learn alot of things about winter you never knew.
Would like to know how to hook some of these fish! :)  No shanty on this quick trip, its under repair, the two days we went it was nice, just no fish, using minnows, and these little maggot looking things for jigging, maybe next trip, Its colder up here than down in the Ozarks for sure, but the roads are really taken care of, wish MODOT did the same,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

How thick does ice have to be up there to walk on?
Drive on? Fish in a house on?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

I used to do a lot of ice fishing in when I was stationed in Alaska!

The Ice was very reassuring, 4 feet thick and I had a manual 6" auger that would "just" reach the water!  Used to take about 5 minutes to make a hole!

When I would see regular road graders out on the ice making roads for Winter deliveries to the camps at the far end of the lake I didn't worry about the ice breaking!  ;D

I used to have a 1979 Intl Scout with a 7' Fisher snow plow and I would drive out onto the lake, "dope" the wind, then plow up a berm of snow to block the wind and fished in comfort!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

We have 8 inches of ice on a pond by me. That is more than enough to walk on. Just you guys other guys know,Peter is talking about a BIG lake. The ponds in my area don't have much of a current in the middle of the pond. And they are small too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

You never want to be the 1st to drive out on the lake and if you're the 2nd don't follow the 1st's tracks ;) :D ;D  A couple years ago we had real cold and no snow early in the season.  Fisherman were venturing out with snowshoes on a real thin less than a couple inches of ice.  The ice was ultra clear like glass.  I wasn't one of them but heard that the perch fishing was phenomenal.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

isawlogs

4 inches will hold up to 200lbs, one can walk on it, it will bow some but nothing to worry too much about.
5 inches will support an atv or snowmobile or give or take 800lbs...
8 to 12 will support 1500 to 2000lbs .. small car or group of people.. So this would be what you would be looking for to set up a hut for a group of people.
One would like to have at least 18 inches to hold up a full size pick-up, then again I have been on lakes with clear blue ice that was thinner then that....  I have also gone for a dip in -30°C  ::) electricuted-smiley  Was not a pleasant experience....  Not at all. Lets just saye parts of me where not readely available to be seen......... BRRRRRRR... 
24 inches will support a road grader but you will need near 36 inches for a loaded semi .
  The joyes of frozen water playing .

:)  On a really cold day out on a lake or in the evening when the temps change , the ice shifts, and when it does it cracks, the sound coming from the cracking is something to experience, I could lay down on the ice (but most times I would be on the snowmopbile leaning up on the handle bars ) and just listen for to the musique. 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Per MN ice thickness guidelines.. much like Marcel says
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html

But the early ice fishermen will push new ice to some less than 2".  Risky but new ice has more strength   .. they say  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

If the ice is frozen all the way to the bottom of the lake, I'm pretty sure you can walk on it. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red oaks lumber

we use to fish on alittle less than 2" (thats stupid)as you walked the ice would roll and sway like gentle rollers. now, noway i get my fish at the fish store :D i heard the ice around here is past 18" thick.
on cold mornings like we are having you can here the maple trees pop real loud from the frost cracking.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

Lots better odds of getting the platter full at the market if it comes to me and ice fishing ;D  maybe one day,   david

Peter Drouin

Back in the day we would go out on the ice to the open water. get  on your belly and use your thumb to make a hole in the ice and set a tip-up  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)
The fish are all ways on the edged of the ice.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Cracking ice can freak out a newbie to ice fishing, but the truth is, hearing those big bangs is usually a good thing, because it happens because you are making ice. Expanding ice has to go somewhere. On large water there is usually at least one or more large pressure cracks where the ice heaves up. I guess you could equate it to an earthquake. Pressure builds and at some point has to be relieved.  One time we had the ice crack right through our hole in the ice while we were in the shanty. It was during the day, but very cold, so we had a couple mantle lanterns on for heat.  When it happened water shot out of the hole and all over us and all over the lanterns, shattering the glass globes when the cold water hit them.  There were a big Holy Crap muttered, or something near to a holy crap. We just laughed, picked up the broken glass and went back to fishing.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

I haven't been Ice fishing for 30 years but remember the last time vividly.
It was on a tidal river in South Addison, Maine.  We had Beer and bait but didn't catch any fish.  The ice cracking was horrific.  I much prefer a pond or lake that is landlocked.

Busy Beaver Lumber

usually when i hear cracking ice it is because it cant support my weight. :D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

curdog

The only ice I want to hear cracking is me pouring my sweet tea in a glass when it may be a little warm.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!