iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white pine for board and batten siding

Started by farmer mark, February 27, 2014, 10:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer mark

I have always used hemlock for board and batten siding.  I am having trouble finding large shake free hemlock right now.  Will white pine work? Will it last as well as hemlock if it is left natural?   

thecfarm

I don't think white pine would last as long as hemlock. But probably last as long as you would care.  ;D Got a good over hang? Can the water splash up on it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

White pine will work great. There are 200 year old barns around here with original wide pine siding. According to Jack Sobon, white pine heartwood siding wears away at the rate of 1/4" per century.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

S.Hyland

Although Dave, I think it is really dependent on how good his pine is. If it is typical 3rd growth stuff it will probably not last that long.
I use larch mostly for locally sawn siding. If you can get it it has good rot resistance.
Farmer Mark, I see we are in the same neck of the woods. I might be able to point you towards some sources if you want. Whereabouts are you?
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

farmer mark

S Hyland,  I am in Nunda, Southern Livingston county.  I have been looking for a load of larch no luck.  I only buy a couple log loads a year,  and have only bought from a couple of loggers. So any additional sources would help.  Where are you from?   Thanks. 

Peter Drouin

I have it on the barn for over 30 years looks fine and I don't think but hope to be here for another 30 years to look at it :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

shinnlinger

I put white pine B+B on my house because it was all I had(see gallery) , But as Dave Shephard says, I wasn't the first! 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

dustyjay

Quote from: shinnlinger on March 02, 2014, 08:46:53 AM
I put white pine B+B on my house because it was all I had(see gallery) , But as Dave Shephard says, I wasn't the first!

That siding looks great. How did you attach it through the foam board to structure? Looking through your album is helpful as I think about starting down this road myself. How did you order sheathing, vapor/ moisture barrier, insulation, and t&G siding? Is there any other insulation than the foam?
Thanks
Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

shinnlinger

where are you in NH?  You can come take a look if you want.

Dave
Shinnlinger

dustyjay

I'm Charlestown, maybe 1 hr from you. Maybe in April I could come take a look. I'd really appreciate the learning opportunity.

Did you treat the outer face of the siding with anything?

shinnlinger

I have a 40" drip line so the siding never gets wet so I haven't treated.   I'll put in an order with you from Dan's Max saver before you come up.   I bet you could get a chain mortiser thru him.   Hour is about right. 
Shinnlinger

dustyjay

I know Dan's well. It's on the way home from work. Lots of good tools in the back room.
A mortiser would be nice, but I'd want to get the chance to try one before looking to buy.

richhiway

I have a 43 year old garage that is pine sided and in perfect condition. I stained it red about 25 yrs ago. I built this screen room it is pine sided also. I did rip pressure treated 1X3 from lowes for the some of the battens, they were inexpensive and handy. All the framing and one by boards  are from a woodmizer. It is stained with CWF, 

I think it gives it a nice color. Pine siding is very common in NY state.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Mad Professor

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 27, 2014, 12:00:14 PM
White pine will work great. There are 200 year old barns around here with original wide pine siding. According to Jack Sobon, white pine heartwood siding wears away at the rate of 1/4" per century.

But you need the boards and battens edged to heartwood, as Dave said.

The sapwood has little rot resistance

Doug_D

Many log siding suppliers in the United States use white pine.  It's a fine choice. 

Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

Thank You Sponsors!