iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Magic" Boomerang Walnut Highly Valuable!!

Started by Andy White, March 21, 2014, 01:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Today is the day I get to cut my first Walnut log, a fresh one too! After getting battery back on arch, dewinterizing the mill, and fresh fuel, it's time. Loaded arch, looked and measured a bit, and made a trim cut to clear the mill.

Reposition the clamp, and a small wood shim, it's clamped tight.

Now to the cutting, OMG!!! To you that have done this, you know what I mean. Had to stop after every slab to watch the colors change . Beautiful stuff.

Made up my mind, yup, Lynn will get some of this log back!! "boomerang" . Good stuff always comes back.
Got it cut in slabs, then some 4/4 stock for good measure. Stickered and anchorsealed ends. Have to take good care of this stuff, cause it's hard to get.

Now I got to finish the kiln, because my drying shed is full! Maybe I could stack that old Red Oak out under the tree! haha.
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

hackberry jake

You shouldnt have any trouble drying walnut. Its about as easy as it comes. I dont get near enough of it though.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

21incher

I had a couple of big ones I cut and as you said it amazed me how the color changed when the sun hit it. Great wood to work with just keep animals away from the sawdust. You know he is a good friend when he gives you his most valuable trees.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

isawlogs

Nice pile of lumber , I envy you for the walnut.  :)

Do you have any more pics of your arch, I need to do some modifications to mine and would like a few different angles to yours, if you don't mind  :P

Thanks 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

dablack

Wow!  That really does look great.  I bet the pictures don't even capture it. 

Austin
Building my own house in East TX

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

We knew that there would be some crazy figure in that crotchy piece.   I am confident that those logs are in very good hands.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raym

Quote from: isawlogs on March 21, 2014, 02:25:38 PM
Do you have any more pics of your arch, I need to do some modifications to mine and would like a few different angles to yours, if you don't mind  :P

Thanks

Ditto, I am working on one similar and wondering what winch (# rating younger using)
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Andy White

Raym,
The winch on mine is a Warn 3000# utility winch. I mounted a pulley at the end of the arch, and use a snatch block hooked back to the crossbar for lifting. Has never failed yet and I have lifted some 2000# logs with it.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

petefrom bearswamp

Nice Andy!
Walnut is scarce here and I haven't sawed any in about 7 or 8 yrs.
I like your arch too.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

dboyt

Great way to start the cutting season!  Hope it is an omen of good things to come your way the rest of the year.  Always enjoy photos of walnut.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

richhiway

Very nice. Every cut is like a work of art.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Andy White

Finally got back to the point that I can do a little sawing today. After looking at these Mississippi logs for all this time, one JUMPED out at me! Nancy wants a pair of rocking chairs for the front porch, for us to use when we get OLD! I told her it was too late for me. Built a small bridge for the mill bed, because the curved log would not lay flat. Clamped down, and cut a flat on both sides, leaving a 4" thick 42" long arched cant.

Moved it into the shop, and will watch it closely while it dries. Don't want to dry it too fast. I think with the grain running the length of the rockers, it should make strong rockers. There is another curved log that I will cut like this one, to shape the top  rail for the chair back. After this ,I just had fun sawing some plain straight logs.

I think I have decided which parts of this Walnut tree will become "boomerang" wood,
and go back to Mississippi! I will finish sawing tomorrow, and get this wood in the kiln, cause these chairs will take a while to do!          Andy

thecfarm

Keep on posted on the rocking chair build.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

If you split the rocking chair cant into two pieces, it will dry much faster and hopefully with less defect. 

I love sawing walnut  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

backwoods sawyer

I would be concerned about pith placement in the rockers, you may loose a couple the way it is layed out :-\
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

You aint old Andy, its your knees that make you think that. Keep on rocking with the walnut and keep us loaded with photos. bg

Kasba

What a great looking piece of walnut. I wish we had that nice looking walnut here where I live, instead we have English walnut that looks nothing like yours.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Magicman

If Andy ever musters up enough courage to come back to Red Lick, we just might load him up again.   8)

Bill Gaiche

Oh I am sure his gears are turning now for sure. bg

Andy White

Lynn,
The gears are really spinning now!! We will be coming back that way shortly. I don't even need my GPS!!
I will surely take another one of those creek bank Walnut trees. I will be cooking this load tomorrow, and making drawings for a special project to build for a man in Mississippi. Hope to finish it before the pig roast. Will give you time for recovering after you and Pat get back from your trip. So, to the "courage" statement, "I ain't Skeerd" {old saying} 8) 8)
We may need Bill to come and supervise the next project!
That butt log with the ring shake sure did cut nicely. The shake only went about 10" up from the cut. My first Walnut and didn't even find a nail, screw, wire, or bullets. Nothing but very pretty lumber!! Thanks again      Andy

dablack

Lookin good.   Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Building my own house in East TX

Thank You Sponsors!