iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A welcome to New Zealand

Started by Ernie, May 08, 2014, 06:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

It is just as well the pilot has confidence in his instruments.

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/pilotnewzdalnd1
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

jargo432

Very scary let down through the clouds.
Jack of all trades.

Den Socling

Trust in instruments is right!

Ianab

Currently that airport (Queenstown) is Daylight only operation, and pilots need special certification to fly into it. But I saw on the news the other night they are planning to upgrade the instrumentation so planes can make that circular approach through clouds, at night.

At that point you REALLY need to trust that computer  :-\

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

whitepine2

Quote from: jargo432 on May 08, 2014, 07:37:36 PM
Very scary let down through the clouds.
  Been there done that departed New Bedford sunny got to Nantucket and then
the lights went out,makes the hare come up on your neck. Was on a DC-3 so
not all the bells and whistles most of the aircraft that PBA was useing of the
DC-3's were older than I was 1937-44 vintage but one of the best ever made
one in the fleet held the worlds record over 11 years worth in the air. My wife worked for PBA Air and I knew most of the pilots so I got to ride in cockpit. The first attempt to land the tower was giving position of aircraft
but no go so we went around,worked out better second time around it's
weird like being in room with no lights then all of a sudden dropped out of clouds into rain it's quite a pucker factor I say but nice to see ground again good flying on the pilot and co pilots parts they just gotta know what to do in a pinch and not panic,no place to pull over and park. A ride I will never forget ever.   

cutterboy

Quote from: Ianab on May 08, 2014, 07:56:55 PM
Currently that airport (Queenstown) is Daylight only operation, and pilots need special certification to fly into it. But I saw on the news the other night they are planning to upgrade the instrumentation so planes can make that circular approach through clouds, at night.

At that point you REALLY need to trust that computer  :-\

Ian

Ian, I'm guessing those clouds hang in the valley quite often? What about the wind? I expect the wind could be a problem in those mountain valleys.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ianab

Queenstown itself is reasonably sheltered from the wind, hence the cloud hanging in the valleys. Likely to get turbulence above the Mts though.

It's a popular area for glider pilots as massive standing wave clouds form and they can make long high speed flights. World record flight went from Omarama (near Queesntown) to Napier (1/2 way up the Nth Island) and back again. 2,500 kilometre round trip riding that ridge lift @~28,000 ft

Wellington is the airport known for the wind, and that's often an exciting place to land at....
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

martyinmi

Ernie and Ianab,
You guys know you're like family, right?
I just have to throw this out there:
If that is the only way into NZ, I'm guessing I'll never have the honor of visiting with you good folks. :-\
As I get older, I have much more fear than I used to when it comes to flying and boating. smiley_embarrased
That flight would likely kill me!

Very, very beautiful there! 8)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Ianab

QuoteI just have to throw this out there:
If that is the only way into NZ, I'm guessing I'll never have the honor of visiting with you good folks.

Nah, Queesntown is just a small town in the middle of the Sth Island. It's tourist central for obvious reasons, so the airport is a lot busier than it might be otherwise, and handles some international flights.

Most likely you would arrive in Auckland which is a much bigger airport, and can handle A380 super jumbos etc. Then you can decide how to get to Queenstown from there  :D You can take a boat to the Sth Island, but at the moment I'd suggest flying. The propellers have been falling off the ferries lately.  :-\

Den Socling

I like how NZ looks so neat and tidy from the air. This is the south island.

They trim trees to make hedge rows!

Den Socling

Found this one from Hokitika. Nice hat.

slider

That was worth watching ,thanks Earnie.
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!