iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TimberKing 1220 vs. WoodMizer LT10/15 vs. Norwood 24

Started by 333_okh, September 26, 2006, 01:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcusthgault

Yes, shipping is the dealmaker/dealbreaker.
I have contacted one North American manufacturer to ask if they can "pallatize" the headworks, and I will fabricate my own deck.
(To avoid paying for an otherwise empty container to house the deck.)
However iffen I desire power feed through the log and other hydraulic services this is not so simple.
Though if a hydraulic supply is provided, the rest is relatively straightforward, if a little tedious.
At least here in Northern Ireland we still have loads of local fabrication shops and access to lazer cutting services "round the corner".
I also got a man on the agricultural supplies side with good contacts for any hydraulic stuff.
Which might be a good idea since US hyd specs/threads etc are different to Eurospec stuff.
I would however, still rather have the complete package.
Far off fields are ALWAYS greener.
Theres nathing as wouldnay werk better fer been teighn asundry furst.

Delawhere Jack

Marcus, my first mill was a Turner manual mill (no hydraulics). The pneumatic tire band wheels worked just fine, you just need to keep them inflated properly to 50 psi. I ran that mill for 4-5 jobs and then graduated to a WM LT40 because the lack of hydraulics was forcing me to pass on larger jobs.

From my experience the Turner was very solidly built, and very simple/basic in design. I have no personal experience with his hydraulic mills, but from what I've seen online they seem to be built to the same heavy duty standards. Probably the least expensive hydraulic mill on the market (or close to it). If you anticipate milling logs over 1,000 lbs regularly you will want a hydraulic mill. I learned that the hard way........

Welcome to the FF.

reswire

I'd definitely consider the LT 35 hd.  For under 20k, it is an incredible machine.  Put down some cash, and let the mill make the payments.  Both Timberking and Woodmizer have great staff and excellent support, but how in the heck do you beat the LT35 price tag???   :new_year:
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

marcusthgault

Thanks for that Jack.
Good to know.
Anyone want to give me some idea of the likely fuel consumption for a 25HP Gas engine (Kohler EFI  or Honda equiv.), per hr when working.
Pure guessing on my part, could I reckon on say 1.0 gall per hour?
I know we ran 20/25HP petrol/gas engines in lawnmowers years ago, and boy o boy could they guzzle the juice.
PS
Our Gas is now about £6.25/gallon
or about £1.35/litre
So it could be significent, over a lifetime (15 years) of use.
If I  buy a Woodmizer I can get a Kubota Diesel for a £2000.00 surcharge, which could also attract more intrest if I were ever selling on.
Regards
Marcus
(I tink Analysis Paralysis is setting in bad)
oops
Reswire
Thanks
Unfortunately for the UK market Woodmizer do not, as far as I be aware, publish prices, which makes it hard to run the permutations between the different manufacturers options without a who lot of cyclical ph calls
sigh.
Gerrrr!!!
Woodmizer dont market the LT35 on the European market
LT20,
then LT20B (developed for the Russian market and with the promise of hydraulics)
Then the LT40
Again younz in the US gits well spoilt fer choice.

Delawhere Jack

Don't sweat it. ;) If you'll only be milling conifers, generally 50cm diameter or less, then a manual mill should be fine. Use a winch and a nylon tow strap wrapped around the log to turn it. Slow but effective. But for larger hardwoods you'll really want hydraulics, or a suitably large tractor for log handling.

The brands you mention all have good reputations. I don't think you'll regret going with any one of them.

Happy New Year.

BTW, my mill has a 900cc Onan carberated (sp?) gas engine. Pushing it all day with helpers offloading it goes through 1-1.25 gallons/hour.

mad murdock

If you are thinking of building your own bedway, Linn lumber sells the head rig in kit form, or preassembled. Lots of options.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

marcusthgault

Thanks for the Linn suggestion Murdock.
Had a wee look on the Linn site already.
Cant seem to get past either;
(i) Turner, for being value for money hydraulic, and nearer/nearest the Eastern seaboard.
or
(ii) Cooks, for the "whole" package, bands, sharpeners etc., despite the additional haulage costs.

And anyway I require some narrowing down of the field of contenders.

Plus, of course
(iii)TimberKing and (iv) Wood Mizer from our home markets.
m

hunz

Quote from: reswire on December 31, 2013, 06:21:14 PM
I'd definitely consider the LT 35 hd.  For under 20k, it is an incredible machine.  Put down some cash, and let the mill make the payments.  Both Timberking and Woodmizer have great staff and excellent support, but how in the heck do you beat the LT35 price tag???   :new_year:

Like others have said, go with the 35hyd. I myself believe in it, and will have one sitting in my front yard the end of February. Same electric drive motors as the tried and true lt40 will be added on the 2014's mills along with upgraded Debarker. Oooooweeee. Man I can't wait. I actually just received the welcome woodmizer owner package in the mail yesterday. These guys definitely know how to make a customer feel special. Even got a Woodmizer bumper sticker
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

JimFX

I believe marcusthgault said ....
"Woodmizer dont market the LT35 on the European market"

lets not make the man covet what he cannot get!

buzzegray

Well, it has been 7 years since the orig. post. What did you buy?  Are you ready to move up to a bigger mill? And, as always, any pictures?

hunz

Quote from: JimFX on January 01, 2014, 10:14:04 AM
I believe marcusthgault said ....
"Woodmizer dont market the LT35 on the European market"

lets not make the man covet what he cannot get!

It mat help if I kept up with previous posts. Always getting ahead of myself
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

dboyt

Fuel consumption on the Norwood HD36 (manual) is less than 3 gallons for 1,200 bd ft (I have never run the 3 gal fuel tank dry in a day of running).  I'll leave it to you to do the liters to cubic meters translation.  I replaced the hand winch with a 12V DC electric winch which makes loading and turning logs much faster and easier, and I can handle 30" diameter by 12' logs without any other machinery to help load or turn the log.  It has taken some serious abuse with logs dropped on it and loaders bumping into it, with no noticeable effect.  I've not used the hydraulics, but have seen it demonstrated on some impressive size logs.  The current design uses a separate 5 hp engine to run a hydraulic pump when log handling is required.  Carriage feed and height setting are electric.

I have seen a number of posts from the UK on Norwood's forum & Facebook page, so the paletized shipping must make it feasible to get the machines across the pond.  No bumper sticker, but I did get a hat. smiley_kid
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

marcusthgault

The seperate  engine driving a hydraulic pump seems to be a very sensible method (a la Turner's hydraulic model arrangment)
For the UK market the full hydraulic package for the Norwood HD36, more than doubles the purchase price , about an extra £7,000.00.
And it consists of an uprated alternator and Liesure batteries, supplying a 12V powered hydraulic pump to power the various hydraulic attatchments.
Not an extra dedicated gas engine driven hyd pump.
Which leaves it the same price as the Timberking 1400, near enough.

I will torment a few folks next week when all are properly back to work.

I am now better informed to ask sensible questions.

LIKE What does the TimberKing 1600 Model be "downspecced" for the UK market, in respect of what hydraulics are standard (for the US spec) but optional (log loader and chain turner) or indeed not available (the hyd log clamps) for the UK spec.
GERRR!!!

Thanks again all.
marcus

marcusthgault

Another cause found for  >:( :(
I looked at Canadian Norwood HD36 prices per the link provided.
Gerrr smiley_furious3
With an exchange rate of 1:1.75 (GBP/CAD)
The Norwood HD36 virtually doubles in price crossing the Atlantic. pc_smiley
Since price in Canadian dollars simply becomes the price in £ stg.(near enough)
And this from the firm that boasts of palletized low cost shipping.
I know import duties are only 2 or 3 %, and I have still not added our 20% VAT, in my price comparision.
PS
I am most impressed with your transatlantic selection of smilies.
Yet another cause for jealousy ;D
Cos I like smilies.
edit
Oh! Er! Mrs.
The plot thickens ;D, more than a little.
I will not yet say too much "just in case".

But when I obtained  a "door to door"  CIF quote for a 40' container from Alamaba to Ballymoney Northern Ireland, in the measly sum of £2620.00.

And import duties of a mere 2.2% on the CIF value.

That appeared to shake things up a little, with a manufacturer as mentioned somewhere above.

regards

Marcus

PPs
Why is there not a big wooden fae'ces stirring spoon  "smiliey"

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

marcusthgault

my dab, i blame  dyslexia :D
I did not intend to offend the Albanians btw;D

two-legged-sawmill

Hello Marcus, You must be well verse with nearly every Mfgr that produces mills.
Just in case you have overlooked Hud-son, www.hud-son.com: they have some
mills that are built to Europien Specs. Our sales manager could answer your
questions that you might have. Best of Luck & GOD BLESS!  Dan sr
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

marcusthgault

Dan,
Thank you for the link, I was aware of Hud-Son mills.
I would rather buy an American product designed to work and be productive, than a "CE" spec model, designed to protect the stupid.
btw.
The Turner firewood processor is a typical example, when compared to Euro spec firewood processors, which rigorously  protect the operator from the splitting chamber.
Which is very counter productive, when a block tumbles the wrong way and has to be manually re-aligned.
I am however reluctant to spend an extra £3000.00 (incl import duty and our VAT) shipping a mill from the states.
So am looking at what I can buy locally as well.
However
We generally get "well poked" in respect of UK pricing, and indeed UK specs.
So if it is still cheaper to import from the States I will.
Also with a creaky back combined with a plumb lazy streak and a liking for toys, I was intending to go "all hydraulic".
PS
Of the 80 some (or so I have been told) sawmill manufacturers in Nth America, I am only looking at 4 or 5 contenders.
Norwood
Timberking
LogMaster (as was)
Cooks
Turner
and of course Woodmizer
Regards,
Marcus

marcusthgault

So,
I phoned woodmizer UK just now
For the nearest UK spec equivalent to the US spec LT35HD, which is the standard full frame LT20 with hydraulic options, and a wheel kit (at £4000.00 extra!!)
Is
£21,938, plus internal UK carriage at about £650.00
So nett £22,588.00 + VAT at 20%  for hobby users
Which in USD = $36,140.00
= near enough TWICE the US price in the UK

Marcus

Ga Mtn Man

Wow!  For that kind of money you could buy a brand new LT40 Super over here.  Maybe you should think about "jumping the pond"!  :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

chrispy

Thank You Sponsors!