iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore

Started by WV Sawmiller, January 04, 2016, 05:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Got a customer with some decent sycamores he's going to remove on a land clearing project. He asked me about them. I told him had not cut any yet but understood they were bad to twist and people liked to quartersaw them for figure and to help prevent twisting.

Guy wants to build a shed from the lumber. If flat sawed into 4/4 and  nailed up right away how does it do? If sticker stacked well with plenty of weight on top does it dry okay? How is it for framing stock?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kelLOGg

It so beautiful when qsawn. It seems like a waste to use it for siding and someone else will have to advise you on that use.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

scsmith42

If they are large and clear grade logs, I would be willing to trade him an equal board footage of freshly sawn SYP siding straight up for the logs.  I'd even deliver.

SYP will last much longer in the weather than sycamore (especially with a good overhang) - it tends to rot pretty quickly when used outdoors.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 04, 2016, 05:59:33 PM
If sticker stacked well with plenty of weight on top does it dry okay?

If flatsawn, not in my experience.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ohio_Bill

I have sawn a considerable amount of sycamore over the years and would not recommend it for siding. It is very prone to rot and a lot of it has shake so the boards fall apart as they dry. Most of what I have sawn has been for ties and timbers.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

red

Sycamore the other white wood
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Raym

Quote from: scsmith42 on January 04, 2016, 08:39:06 PM
If they are large and clear grade logs, I would be willing to trade him an equal board footage of freshly sawn SYP siding straight up for the logs.  I'd even deliver.

SYP will last much longer in the weather than sycamore (especially with a good overhang) - it tends to rot pretty quickly when used outdoors.
You took the words right out of my head
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

smoothED

I've flatsawn it and put it up green, bord and batten on 2 sheds. No shake,no rot, only a couple boards warped. 4 years so far.

Skip

I sawed a bunch for a customer who used it as flooring in a cabin on his farm. Looked great , he put down green and used it fast and a lot of nails. still looks good 6 years later. Used to drive log truck for a friend and would deliver sycamore butts no longer than 3 ft to a furniture maker in PA who used it to make stiles for maple chair backs. You couldn't tell the difference  .The were a pain in the butt (no pun intended ) to haul. I would not recommend it for framing

WDH

Just like people, some individuals are worse than others.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sealark37

The customer proposal reminds me of the guy who wanted his dump truck load of walnut sawed into 4/4 so he could use it to underpin his house trailer.  His logs, his project.   Regards, Clark

dboyt

I offered one individual who was about to chunk up some nice walnut for firewood that I'd swap out split, seasoned oak of equal volume as the log (22" dia, 8').  No dice.  Go figure.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: dboyt on January 07, 2016, 10:42:34 AM
I offered one individual who was about to chunk up some nice walnut for firewood that I'd swap out split, seasoned oak of equal volume as the log (22" dia, 8').  No dice.  Go figure.

Some people just enjoy the experience of having something that someone else wants. ::)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!