iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 40 woodmizer

Started by armechanic, April 02, 2016, 11:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armechanic

Now that I have it up and running, I remembered another problem.  When bringing the head down for the next cut it will coast and you have to jack around trying to get it at the right place.  Does anyone have a solution ? I thought about a brake off a motorcycle and just keep enough pressure so it don't coast. Put a grease fitting in the caliper and keep it just tight enough.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

DGK

I drop the head down below my target measurement and then bump up.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

armechanic

That is what I am doing, but I am not as quick as I use to be, so sometimes I don't get off the switch fast enough.

DGK

Just give the lever quick little taps. :-)
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

highleadtimber16

Your chain may need to be tightened. I believe the specs are 1 1/2" deflection on chain with the head raised to the top. Check your manual to make sure. DGK is right though, go below your target then up.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

terrifictimbersllc

A number of normal maintenance things before assuming something is wrong, see your manual or call woodmizer:
-chain is correct tightness and lubricated
-mast pads are adjusted correctly and mast is lubricated
-gearbox oil should be changed if you don't know how old it is, this makes a big difference if fluid wear has happened
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

You do not have your LT40 listed in your profile with the year model so this is a guess. 

Since the gearbox incorporates a worm gear (which will not crawl) the motor has to be coasting to a stop.  My drum switch places a shunt across the motor in the "stop" position which acts as an electronic brake to stop the motor.  It stops immediately when I release the up/down lever.  I can then "feather" it up or down to reach the mark.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

MM has nailed it again as he always does. With out that shunt in place head control is near impossible.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

armechanic

It is a 1989 model with 526 hrs showing on the meter.? I will check on the shunt, see if mine has it or can install one, Thanks for all the comments.

Kbeitz

Shunts are put on a lot of thing like chop saws. When turned off the shunt shorts out the brushes of
the motor. When the power is removed from the motor and it's still tunning it tries to generate electric
back into the system. The shunt is like a dead short to a generator. This brings the motor to a fast stop.
It's like an overload to a generator. The more power it draws the harder it is to turn.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

VictorH

I don't think this is related to what you described - but just in case.  I was moving my head up and down with the blade disengaged and then engaging for the cut.  Often upon engaging my head would settle as much as an 1/8 inch.  Another sawyer pointed out to make the adjustment with the blade already engaged.  It was a well-duh moment.

pineywoods

Look closely at the up/down drum switch. There should be one set of contacts that make contact when the switch is in the neutral position. This shorts across the up\down motor to serve as a brake. The contacts open when the switch is in either up or down position. If that contact gets corroded or dirty, you will get exactly what you are seeing, with no other effects..Clean the contacts and apply some of the contact lube woodmizer ships in a little round tin sitting loose in the console..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!