iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Not big stuff but for what it was designed I'd say the Echo is a keeper.  With two 5AH batteries it will run as long as I can run it and still have half a battery left ;)  But then, I'm no pro and out of shape LOL

Still, on one battery I can run a long time, with a lot of cuts on smaller stuff and I really like that it's ready to go immediately, no warm up, no fuel up, just make sure the oil is topped off and it's ready to go (with a full charge).  So, when needing to buck limbs or knobs off a log on the sawmill, it wins big time there in my book ;)

Plus, I guess over time it will even out since you don't have to buy fuel and I buy premix these days.  I want the best fuel in my big saw (I mixed my own for years and still will for my 455 but for the 572 I run premix).  Either way, the Echo has it's place!

I need to touch bases with Husqvarna again as we were discussing a head to head between their saw and the Echo and I believe theirs has some better features (cooling is way better) so it would be good one.

I've seen the DeWalt both in person and in videos and it performs well against all the others though last year this Echo edged it out in cutting power.  Also, the DeWalt has plastic nubs for bucking teeth/rakers vs the steel on the Echo.  I just wish the Echo teeth were sharper (points) but I can fix that lol
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

After the live today I'm tossing out a bonus video :D
Ugly Little Pines On The Sawmill? Why? [Woodmizer LT40] - YouTube

Why bonus?  Because normally I don't get the opportunity to get another video out so soon!
Cheers

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

Ya got me thinking...

If mill prices remain stable on the used market I could probably get what? $40k for my LT40....in a tears?

At $56k fir an LT50 optioned the way I want it I'd only need to kick in $16k

Course, my mill might only sell for half that too lol....

Still have to admit it's tempting 

Any real difference in portability with the 50 vs the 40?

OlJarhead

meanwhile it looks like my hydraulics issue may be the contact block...have to more testing but ordered a new one anyway. 

GAB

Quote from: OlJarhead on January 17, 2023, 07:26:15 PM
meanwhile it looks like my hydraulics issue may be the contact block...have to more testing but ordered a new one anyway.
I suggest you take the entire contact block assembly off and check all portions of the assembly, especially the spring to make sure it hasn't lost its K factor.  Note: If you leave the head in a location where the contact block is contacting the copper strip for extended periods of time it can degrade the assembly, especially the spring.
I changed most of that assembly to regain hydraulics and the copper strip arcing ceased.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

I will be interested in the comparison to the LT40 VS LT50. I know the LT 50 has the chain turner which goes forward or backward. Looks like the LT50 is about 470 lbs heavier but I did not see the tongue weight listed in the specs. Looks like they both have the same cut specs.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

Wish I'd read thus before ordering the block as I could have ordered a spring too.

Makes sense since I am guilty of leaving the millbhead over the strip in the past.  Often for long periods.

Though one would imagine it's like a magazine spring which used to do that (weaken) but modern metals are much better and not impacted the same way.

OlJarhead

The new block came with springs 😀

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

And while I'm at it, I'm doing a LIVE this Sunday at 6PM Pacific for those interested!
LIVE With The Old Jarhead! - YouTube

Dan R

Eric,
Watched your Chat on YouTube after it was posted. Very good.
Thanks Dan

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

I was not following - did you adjust the height of the up/down chain or just move the pointer?

I usually check the little pointer on every mobile job. After I make my first cut and flip the log 180 degrees I just barely kiss the end of the log with the moving blade then step back and measure from the bottom of the log to the cut then adjust my pointer to that mark as that is the actual height it is cutting. It is rarely off over 1/8" if that and all I have to do is use the Phillips blade on my Leatherman handy-tool to loosen and retighten the 2 little screws holding the pointer. As you mention the boards cut using the SimpleSet will be spot on but the bottom board is the one affected. Of course it can affect the cant thickness and mess up a lot of boards if you don't catch it early enough.

On the sawdust I always remind the customer it makes great oil spill medium if they do any small engine work or oil changes or such and often they will grab a garbage bag or bucket full for that purpose. I found long ago if I spill my ATF lube bottle or such I can just grab a handful of sawdust and throw it on the spill or use it to wipe my hands clean.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fluidpowerpro

OJ, sorry to change the subject but a while back you mentioned that you would be testing a laser on your mill and reporting your findings. I've been looking forward to hearing from you on that. Did you do the test?
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

OlJarhead

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 03, 2023, 05:49:53 PM
Eric,

I was not following - did you adjust the height of the up/down chain or just move the pointer?

Challenges of filming production ;)  I moved the scale assembly up to adjust it close enough to adjust the pointer.  I find the pointer doesn't seem to move enough to adjust more than a 1/16th" or so.
And ya, it can mess up the cant.  Only good thing here is it made the cant wider on one when splitting.  So two 4" cants ended up being 4" and ~4 3/32"  :o
Honestly, I have no idea how it got bumped up!  Weird.

OlJarhead

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on February 04, 2023, 12:57:50 AM
OJ, sorry to change the subject but a while back you mentioned that you would be testing a laser on your mill and reporting your findings. I've been looking forward to hearing from you on that. Did you do the test?
Sorry for the delay!  At first I thought I was going to get it done a LOT sooner.  Than, like Engines, WM had backordered some of the brackets....then I got the brackets but should have been more specific about what I needed (I guess)...no hardware -- which is fine I can get it.
One of the brackets doesn't work (the guard over the laser and is too smal -- what gives WM?) as it doesn't fit over the laser bracket that THEY sent me.  One of them, the main mount, is too tight to the rail and I will need to figure that out -- maybe I can bend it in the vise enough to clear the rail, only need a few thou.
If I can get all that sorted I'll get the laser installed finally!  Then I plan to use it on a big maple I quartered in the beginning of winter/late fall.  And since it will be sunny, we'll see how this one works in the sun!
Meanwhile, I'm also working on my hydraulics and hope to finally have that fixed this weekend (maybe both done).
Unfortunately I took a job in Nov which made it hard to get back on the mill much!  I had plenty of footage of milling in the summer and fall to keep my YT channel going but not enough time to get the mill sorted out -- it's been a challenge!
No excuses right? lol but I do hope they decide my contracting service is TOO expensive, say in April ;) so I can get back to doing what I want to do :D

OlJarhead

New Apinex laser....been a little challenging so far lol

fluidpowerpro

Didn't mean to be a pest. Glad to see that your making progress and will look forward to your report about it's performance in the sun.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

OlJarhead

WV Sawmiller

My fear here is the laser will work perfectly but only in low light so Eric will become the only known night-time only portable sawyer on the FF. :D :D
Howard Green

OlJarhead

https://youtu.be/q-C9zYsk0yw
Meanwhile I finally finished this video feom the winter dunes run ;)

Thank You Sponsors!