iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HOLLY

Started by Smcobb0922, January 09, 2017, 11:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smcobb0922

my wife and I have just moved to our "forever home" lol 53 acres in NC we farm and are trying to get a sawmill up and running that being said we have a lot of large holly trees on our place (16'' and up) I would really love to get some of these trees on the log deck and milled but I need some advice I know the best time to drop them is in the dead of winter and I was going to cut it into 1xs stick in and put it in the shop with a few fans to help dry it....any and all advice would be very welcome
    thanks everybody
-Seth
USMC.  OIF/OEF
Timberking 2000
Caterpillar 215dlc
Stihl ms261,ms461
71' m35a2 w/ winch and dump bed
~when you stop learning you might as well DIE~

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Smcobb0922!

Congratulations on the new home!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Smcobb0922

Thank you for the welcome wagon lol but we are over joyed to have our new baby and be in our new house we built a 40x60 metal shop and framed up a 20x40 2 story on the end of shop and it's fantastic we heat with wood and our light bill was $68 this month hehe do you think it would be a,good idea to try and dry lumber in the shop ?
-Seth
USMC.  OIF/OEF
Timberking 2000
Caterpillar 215dlc
Stihl ms261,ms461

johnnyllama

I'm no expert on holly as I've never cut or dried any but in my experience, going from the mill straight into the shop might not be a good idea. I air dry any hardwoods outside under cover first to let the moisture work out a little slower, then bring in the heated shop. Usually a few months at least.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

dustyhat

Welcome as well,  i seen it somewhere or i could have just dreamed it but seems like holly lumber was pricey. i guess someone would know. 

Jeff

Seems to me there was some info posted on the forum sometime ago about the difficulties in properly drying holly to maintain the white. I'll see if I can find something.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

kelLOGg

Here's a pic of air-dried holly w/ a piece of white paper tacked on. Wood workers like their holly to look like the paper.  I understand that means to kiln dry it ASAP.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

John S

Just finished installing some 1/16" by 1/16" stringing in two wine servers that I am making for my daughters.  The white stringing against the cherry background is nice.  I will post photos when completed.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Smcobb0922

Bob, Jeff, jhonny, dusty ......everyone else thank y'all very much. I'll get one on the deck this week.....weather permitting and post some pictures thank y'all again
-Seth
USMC.  OIF/OEF
Timberking 2000
Caterpillar 215dlc
Stihl ms261,ms461

xlogger

Did you get a new TK? It's newer than mine I can see you have the 4 backstops. Looks like a gas engine on it. I think you are the one that's on CL if I'm not mistaken? One day I would like to see what updates TK has done from my machine to yours. I'm about 45 minutes from you.
Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Smcobb0922

Sure thing Ricky come on down and see the place. I believe mine has a newer computer and set works but they look rather simular but just let me,know when you would like to stop by
-Seth
USMC.  OIF/OEF
Timberking 2000
Caterpillar 215dlc
Stihl ms261,ms461

rooster 58

I was told that you have to cut and saw it in winter, while the sap is low, so that the Lumber doesn't yellow

Thank You Sponsors!