iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Another" Bandsaw Mill Build

Started by FloridaMike, January 19, 2017, 04:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloridaMike

So far over the past month I have built the sliding section of my saw head.  The rolling section is next of the list, followed by the track.  The general stats of the mill will be:
20.8 hp Honda
175/80 13" (24" OD) tires for wheels
rolling horizontal saw head with 4 slide posts
remote pneumatic cylinder controlled idler pulley for clutch
remote pneumatic cylinder controlled throttle 
36"+ between the guides
28' of track built of 4"x8"x1/4" steel box tube
hydraulic chain driven feed, dogs and chain log turners

More to follow!

Mike

FloridaMike

My first attempt to post pics failed  :-\

I will re-watch the posting pics videos tomorrow and give it another try.
Mike

Hilltop366

It sounds like it is going to be heavy duty!

thecfarm

FloridaMike,First thing you really should do,or I think Jeff would like you to do,is to delete out any pictures that are the same. I see one in there 4 times.THAN try the posting picture again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

popcorn_smiley
Do you already have the 4x8 stock?  That is going to be HEAVY!  I have 2x4x¼" - heavy and plenty strong.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Joe Hillmann

It looks as though your blade will be turning counter clockwise wen view from the operators position?

FloridaMike

Quote from: thecfarm on January 19, 2017, 05:51:27 PM
FloridaMike,First thing you really should do,or I think Jeff would like you to do,is to delete out any pictures that are the same. I see one in there 4 times.THAN try the posting picture again.

It was a duplicate set of 12 different pics and all 24 have been deleted.  When I do reload them, is 12 pics too many?  I can cut it down to two or three if it's a problem. 

I'm not looking to ruffle any feathers  :)
Mike

FloridaMike

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on January 19, 2017, 08:18:02 PM
It looks as though your blade will be turning counter clockwise wen view from the operators position?

Correct, looking at the log from the operation station (which will be on the left side), the drive wheel will be on the right and the idle wheel on the left.  The drive wheel will pull the blade through the cut and sawdust will be discharged to the right side.

I see that many mills go in the other direction (which requires the engine's pulley next to or on the band wheel)  but I do see some mills the same as mine, with the engine pulley opposite the band wheel.  Is there a drawback with this configuration?

Mike 
Mike

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: FloridaMike on January 19, 2017, 08:36:35 PM

Correct, looking at the log from the operation station (which will be on the left side), the drive wheel will be on the right and the idle wheel on the left.  The drive wheel will pull the blade through the cut and sawdust will be discharged to the right side.

I see that many mills go in the other direction (which requires the engine's pulley next to or on the band wheel)  but I do see some mills the same as mine, with the engine pulley opposite the band wheel.  Is there a drawback with this configuration?

Mike

There is no draw back other than having to flip the blades inside out.  I just wanted to make sure you were pulling the blade through the log rather than pushing.  Of all the companies that I have ordered blades from cooks are the only one that will ask which way the blade spins.  I am not sure what they do differently but when you go to order blades for it you may want to mention that your mill spins backwards of most.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: FloridaMike on January 19, 2017, 08:36:35 PM

Mike
Yes, you will be walking through the saw dust and potentially blowing in your face.  However, you will be on the log stop side so manually adjusting them will be easier.  However, your dogs will be on the other side.  Always trade offs.

edit: OOPS - I responded too quickly - MY station is on the right, blade turns CW.  I ASSumed that your station was like mine.  My bad.

However, It will depend on which way your engine turns and is facing.  Also consider the exhaust - will the noise and fumes be heading your way?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Joe Hillmann

Also is there a reason you plan to put the operators position on the left side?  Assuming you will be putting your dogs on the right side and the moveable clamp on the left side it will be a lot less stretching or walking around the mill to have the operators position on the right.  Of course then you would also have the sawdust coming out at your feet.

FloridaMike

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on January 19, 2017, 08:46:03 PM
Also is there a reason you plan to put the operators position on the left side?  Assuming you will be putting your dogs on the right side and the moveable clamp on the left side it will be a lot less stretching or walking around the mill to have the operators position on the right.  Of course then you would also have the sawdust coming out at your feet.

My thought is flipping everything.  Movable dogs on the left, operator on the left, load the logs from the left (while looking at the log from the operator's seat).  I think it's a mental thing with me, as my old circle mill loaded logs, offloaded and operated from the left, with dust being dragged out the right.
Mike

FloridaMike

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 19, 2017, 06:16:52 PM
popcorn_smiley
Do you already have the 4x8 stock?  That is going to be HEAVY!  I have 2x4x¼" - heavy and plenty strong.

I will be ordering the steel next week.  I got quotes for 3x8 and 4x8, there wasn't a huge cost or weight difference.  I may still downsize before ordering. 

To be honest, I have always preferred to build extra heavy duty the first time, then have to go back and fix stuff.  Also, I want the mill to have substantial weight, so it doesn't blow away in our next hurricane!  :D 

Thanks for all the feedback!
Mike

thecfarm

As long as a picture is used in a post,I think all is good.
I went to that picture help thread and it says the above in bold print.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: FloridaMike on January 19, 2017, 09:09:39 PM
Quote from: Joe Hillmann on January 19, 2017, 08:46:03 PM

My thought is flipping everything.  Movable dogs on the left, operator on the left, load the logs from the left (while looking at the log from the operator's seat).  I think it's a mental thing with me, as my old circle mill loaded logs, offloaded and operated from the left, with dust being dragged out the right.

When you say moveable dogs on the left do you mean the clamp?  With the dogs/backstops on the right that only go up and down?  If so you will struggle to reach the dogs/backstop from the operators side when there is a log because they are all the way on the far side of the mill.  Whereas it is easier to be on the backstop side and be able to reach over the log to get to the clamp/moveable dog because usually it is less than halfway across the mill, unless you have a large log on and can't reach over it.   

On the bright side the way you plan to do it will keep you farther away from the sawdust.

FloridaMike

Planning on raise and lower (only) 90 degree backstops on the right (drive wheel/sawdust side) and moveable clamps on the left (operator side) both will be hydraulically controlled from the left. 
Mike

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: FloridaMike on January 19, 2017, 10:21:18 PM
Planning on raise and lower (only) 90 degree backstops on the right (drive wheel/sawdust side) and moveable clamps on the left (operator side) both will be hydraulically controlled from the left.

With hydraulics reaching it wont be a problem then.

Thank You Sponsors!