iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

minus 40 and no sawing

Started by lyle niemi, January 11, 2018, 03:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

that's all I have to say about this :snowball:

Magicman

And I ain't looking forward to sawing in +40° Monday. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

It's been cold in NH the last two weeks no sawing for me firewood and shop work :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

millwright

Same here in northern Wisconsin almost too cold to go fishing

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

ladylake

-20 is nasty, at -40 the only thing to do is throw more wood in the fire.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Crossroads

Brrrr, I'll take my Oregon 50* with 100% chance of rain any day ;)
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

fishfighter

I was working in the back pulling boards and sure as all hell, I had to kill a small copperhead. :o Guess that is what 72F does at this time of the year. Back in the freezer later tonight. >:( Winter needs to just stop. ;D

Novascotiamill

Quote from: John S on January 11, 2018, 04:56:37 PM
Negative 40, not minus 40!

Does that mean its positive 25 in the heat not "plus 25" celcius of course
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

thecfarm

When it's -40 don't matter which on the temp scale. C and F are just about the same. We just got over that,but we had nothing that cold in my area. On the high side of 40° here now. That is warm at this time of year and at 7 at night too.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Quote from: fishfighter on January 11, 2018, 05:08:14 PM
I was working in the back pulling boards and sure as all hell, I had to kill a small copperhead. :o Guess that is what 72F does at this time of the year. Back in the freezer later tonight. >:( Winter needs to just stop. ;D

Good job fish - those small ones are the worst.  I am good for at least one a year, most it's two or three. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Percy

Ya its cold up here too!!! Today I seen a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets! ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Resonator

Woke up this mornin', it was 22 below.
look out the window blue sky, white snow.
Too cold to work, what can I do?
Pick an old guitar. Got them 22 below blues.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

GAB

On the positive side there are no snakes and no skeeters.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Kbeitz

I don't want a gauge that can read -60. Yck....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

mad murdock

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 06, 2018, 11:01:03 AM
I don't want a gauge that can read -60. Yck....
you have to know where you have been to be able to appreciate where you are :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Resonator

Back in February 1996 the record low temperature hit 55 below (not including the wind chill) :o in Couderay, WI. I was in college then, not far away from there. Thats when the starter in my old van died. Had to lay on my back in the Burger King parking lot with a wrench and fix it. Oh the memories... ::)

Rhodemont

Cold days are for skidding logs to saw when it is warm.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Andries

We're having a spell of the same thing here Lyle.
Cold? Not too bad. Wind? That's the game changer!
Feels like holding a frozen pizza pan to your face.

How do'ya know when it's too cold to saw?
When you need to take a leak, but it's Too cold to take your mitts off.
Now THAT'LL make for a mess . . . . just sayin'.  :(   ;)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Resonator

Got above zero in the afternoon, and got some sawing done. Had to use the blowtorch to thaw and scrape sawdust.

PAmizerman

I did some sawen today too. We had a heatwave today with no wind. It warmed up to 18° f today.
No sawen tomorrow though supposed to get 8" of snow followed by ¼" of ice.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

crowhill

No milling today and it was warm enough! Today ran the logging roads with the Kubota to break them open before tomorrow's storm of 8" to 14" of snow. Cutting & skidding pine and hemlock logs next week to mill for a cabin 18'x24', board n batten for a 24'x46' house and a 8'x12' "hut".
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Southside

Quote from: Resonator on February 06, 2018, 07:02:16 PM

Got above zero in the afternoon, and got some sawing done. Had to use the blowtorch to thaw and scrape sawdust.

Resonator -

What on earth are you using for bands?  Those look like moulder shavings to me, not sawdust!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

Sawdust will bunch up like that when your lube mixes with really cold temperatures!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Resonator

The sawdust freezes hard to the board, and sticks like a thick coat of paint. If you look at the board in the pic. under the torch you see what its like. Heating it with the torch it wrinkles up, and scrapes off easily in big flakes.

Thank You Sponsors!