iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First cuts

Started by memmons, June 23, 2019, 11:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

memmons

Finally got my Woodland HM-122 set up today and made my first cuts. The thickness and everything seemed right but while trying to make up a bunch of stickers I noticed that every cut had perpendicular lines from the blade. Is there something that typically causes this to happen? Appreciate any advice.

Tramp Bushler

Looks like you have a tooth that has more set than the rest of the teeth on the band.
I had similar marks on a couple cuts after I got the blade stuck in a cut and a couple teeth got bent.
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Tramp Bushler

But, I could be wrong . This past week was my very first milling with a bandsaw mill. My Mighty Mite Gen ll.

memmons

Thanks Tramp. I appreciate the feedback, it at least gives me something to try. 

Downstream

Looks like a tooth set difference to me also.  I have a few bands that have this issue over time so I need to put them on my tooth setter that I bought at an auction and fix them.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Tramp Bushler

I've got a bit of a kink in 2 bands so far. They are still intact and really aren't bad. But they sound lumpy when they are running on the mill and don't cut well now. I'll keep them until I figure out what I need to straighten them out and reset them before I sharpen them.

WV Sawmiller

Memmons,

I agree on the tooth set. If you slow your cut down real slow you will find even more of those lines and they will be much closer together.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Quote from: Tramp Bushler on June 24, 2019, 01:28:16 AM
I've got a bit of a kink in 2 bands so far. They are still intact and really aren't bad. But they sound lumpy when they are running on the mill and don't cut well now. I'll keep them until I figure out what I need to straighten them out and reset them before I sharpen them.
I agree that there is a tooth out of set!
You can make a cut at a slower or faster speed and verify this, to ensure it's not a sawmill problem.

I've had a few kinked blades over the years, what I do is position the blade so that the kink is "up" and placing the band on a cant, benchtop, or whatever as long as it's wood, then take a hammer and slowly tap the band back where it's supposed to be, and no longer kinked!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!