iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

THE GOAT DID IT! A brand spanking NEW WOODMIZER!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 02, 2018, 06:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

You should reconsider Accuset while you can.

Get the rest of that math out of your head and free yourself up to think ONLY goat thoughts,  ALL the time.   You'll be surprised.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

Yeah but if you wait just one more day to Feb 30th the discount doubles to $600. :D :D :
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 06, 2018, 05:38:53 PM

You should reconsider Accuset while you can.

As I mentioned early....I set my simple set....move the head through the log.....raise the head and bring it back and the simple set lowers the head to the next board.  smiley_scholar

I did watch a video on the Accuset last night but..... smiley_dizzy

You know at one point we had no set works and had to use our head.  :D

A few of you on here have said I should consider Accuset.....I just don't see an advantage.

If you look back in this thread, smiley_computer_monitor, no one has even told me what it does or compared it to Simple Set.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

JB Griffin put a good stab in it.  If you go to my very highly popular youtube chanel (up to 25 subscribers oh yea!) you will see a terrible vidjayo I made about accuset ii to help ole deese get acquainted with his new mill.  Speaking of which, how ya liking your mill @Deese ??
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

David,

SS is dirt simple to use but what little I saw of my use of Accuset looked just about as easy - especially for the basic functions. You clinked a setting and it cut that thickness till you changed it and you had a lot more pre-set options to use.

I think if I were using it I'd be tempted to use the up settings to determine the number of boards I could get out of a log and by changing the settings while doing so I could pre-determine the number of 4/4, 6/4, 8/4 with maybe a 16/4 thrown in to help maximize my return. Yeah, I do that manually in my head now but Accuset is more accurate and lots faster than my stubby pencil.

I would suggest you go visit someone with Accuset who uses it extensively and let them show you what it can do. I know it does way more than what I figured out in my brief usage.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Accuset II has 4 set modes:

Reference, Auto-Down, Auto-Up, and Pattern.  I will break down what they all do and why they are useful.

Reference Mode:
Reference mode has 4 different sets that are preset but you can change. 
On my 40 I had mine set to:

1", 4-1/8", 14-1/2" and 34".

To use reference mode, just press the ref button and then press 1, 2, 3, or 4 to choose where you want to go, then hit the drum switch in the direction the headrig needs to go and it will go there. 

Where I found reference mode to be useful:

-When I finish cutting a log and want to raise the sawhead to get ready for the next log while freeing myself up to run the hydraulics, go roll another log onto the loader arms, pick my nose, etc.  That's when I would bring the head to 14-1/2" because for the way I had my mill set and how tall I am that's what gave me the best clearance to see the log being loaded, turned and clamped.
-When you cut alot of 4-1/8" cants.
-When you want to drop the head to 1" to fill it up with fuel.
-When you want to raise the head to the highest it will go to oil the mast. 

Pattern Mode:

Pattern mode is used to saw through a cant or certain size boards down to a cant or cants.  There are 16 different sets that you can save in pattern mode.  Pattern mode is great for cranking out dimension lumber, sawing inch boards down to a target size cant, sawing boards down to a tie, etc.  Pattern mode knows where the bed is and will calculate where the head needs to be to cut certain size boards down to the bed including the kerf and make it so that every board down to the bed measures the same.

Example: I want to cut 5/4 pallet boards down to a 7" face and a 9" face to make a cross tie.  So I set in the computer 1-1/4" drops down to a 7" cant, and I set another preset to 1-1/4" drops down to a 9" cant.  On my 7" face I just keep hitting the down button and cutting until the computer stops me at 7" and same for the 9" side.  Boom, done.  Or say I have a 8" wide cant that I want to take 2" cuts all the way to the bed to make 2x8 framing lumber.  Hit my preset for 2" drops and hit the down button then start cutting, it will cut each board 2" down to the bed so that every board is 2" thick. 

Auto-Down Mode:

Auto down mode is about the same thing as simple set as far as I understand.  You use Auto down to open your first and second face (if you turn 90 deg) or you use it on your first and third face if you flip 180.  Auto down is also used for sawing grade lumber.
Auto down mode drops your head down from wherever it is the amount that you set it for without regard to where the bed is, and without sawing down to a target cant size.

Auto-Up Mode:

Auto-up mode is the same thing as auto-down except backwards.  Auto-up mode is useful when you are in pattern mode opening up a face.  It is also useful when you are squaring a cant to a certain size, say 8" and instead of just making a cut at 8" to bring it to size, you say ya know what, looks like theres an inch board in there.  I'll press the button for auto-up 1" and take an inch board off the top.  The computer will do the math for ya.  You can even say ya know what I want to take 1-1/2" boards to a 8" cant but don't have it programmed in pattern mode and dont want to take the time to do it.  So you bring the head near 8", and hit the rounding feature button to bring it to a perfect 8".  Then go into auto-up mode set for 1-1/2" and hit up a bunch of times til you're at where you wanna be.  Then make a cut and before you move the head switch to auto down for 1-1/2".  Then keep cutting until you get to 8" but don't forget to stop there because in auto down it won't stop going down unless it would put the head below 1".

The rounding feature pretty much just press the up button (or down I can't member) and it will bring the head to the nearest whole number.  This is useful when you are sawing manually and can't get the head to exactly the round number you need to be at.

Accuset II also has onboard diagnostics which show things like battery volts, h-bridge volts, etc. 

This all might sound complicated but once you use it a little bit it's very simple and when I had my lt40 I used every feature that Accuset II offers. 

Here is my video on Accuset II:

https://youtu.be/wCka6MVRVhA

And here is my video showing the rounding feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKZlshCpnDM

Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I saw your video 4x4. Not bad....I think it made Deese disappear.  :D :D :D

I really don't need a 'puter to figure what I can get out of a log.

If a sawyer is sawing a barn package....which I've been doing for months....and a sawyer can do math in his head  ::)....there is nothing more I need than my Simple Set. Trust me.

Accuset will not speed up my production....it consist of more gadgets and banks that can stop working at anytime.

....And I'll betcha this......somewhere....SOMEWHERE......some Ol timer has a Bandmill WITHOUT setworks that can probably saw circles around us with very little waste.

Its all what you get used to.
I am happy.....
I am simple....
I am Orange

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 06, 2018, 12:09:28 PM
I am still waiting for a good detailed report on the wide mill feature and see how it does. I'm thinking 95% of the time you will be cutting the same size wood you could cut with your regular mill so should be no difference (except you have more teeth spinning on the band so you get through the same cant/board with less revolutions- which I think should be a wash). What I really want to see is how it works in really hard, wide crotch wood.

Mr. Green:
I agree with you on fewer revs of the blade, however it may not be fewer revs of the drive wheel.
Also with more teeth to chew on log stops more operators may make it through them.
Question: With longer blades and the same drive wheel size will the blades last longer as far as revs or cycles is concerned?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Southside

And now we know where the phrase "Stubborn as a goat" comes from.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: GAB on January 06, 2018, 07:43:09 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 06, 2018, 12:09:28 PM
I am still waiting for a good detailed report on the wide mill feature and see how it does. I'm thinking 95% of the time you will be cutting the same size wood you could cut with your regular mill so should be no difference (except you have more teeth spinning on the band so you get through the same cant/board with less revolutions- which I think should be a wash). What I really want to see is how it works in really hard, wide crotch wood.

Mr. Green:
I agree with you on fewer revs of the blade, however it may not be fewer revs of the drive wheel.
Also with more teeth to chew on log stops more operators may make it through them.
Question: With longer blades and the same drive wheel size will the blades last longer as far as revs or cycles is concerned?
Gerald
Gerald,

Very good point about the number revs on the drive wheel. I guess that should mean it takes the same number of revs to cut the same amount of lumber if I'm understanding this right. However the each blade should cut a proportionally increased amount of lumber per blade between sharpenings but I'm thinking the bf/sharpening should be about the same.

I realize it will cost more every time you damage or break a blade but unless you are replacing a lot more that should not a big factor.

I'd probably have to rebuild my band boxes to hold the new size. Again not a big factor.

Dave,

Please don't think I am pushing the Accuset over SS. Might be like Auto transmission vs a stick shift. If you are happy with SS go for it. I know you will love the new machine.
Howard Green

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm not even sure what a blade ( turbo 7 ) cost for a wide head. ::)

tawilson

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 06, 2018, 08:35:12 PM
I'm not even sure what a blade ( turbo 7 ) cost for a wide head. ::)
$358 for a box of 15 for the Double hard when I bought it. Looks like the price has dropped.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

JB Griffin

David, I guarantee that if we had identical mill but you had simple set and I had accuset2 I could out saw you over the course of a day. The second you take to think about where the head needs to be and get it there, I could already be sawing the next line.
Seconds add up to logs sawn or not at the end of the day.

If production don't matter that much to you ingore me.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Southside

David -

Accuset II also comes with a special feature that makes it warm outside - so technically all this cold is your fault!!   8)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: JB Griffin on January 06, 2018, 08:56:05 PM
David, I guarantee that if we had identical mill but you had simple set and I had accuset2 I could out saw you over the course of a day. The second you take to think about where the head needs to be and get it there, I could already be sawing the next line.

No JB  :D.......the Simple Set will take it down to my next cut. I won't have to think about it. We'd be neck and neck.  smiley_horserider smiley_horserider

But we can still find out.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  I'm hard headed but I swear I think Im right.  :)

Don't forget JB....your 27  dancing-jack and I'm 61  smiley_old_guy.  :D :D

I may have to come to Arkansas, N.C. to have somebody show me how it works,

JB Griffin

And I saw over a million ft a year ;D

Its the third face where you have to set it right or end up with a dog board, with accuset2 its a push of a button and a flick of the drum switch and off to the races.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Dave Shepard

Ther only reason that i can see to not get Accuset2 is to save money. I'd sure hate to run a super without it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

We're just trying to save you from yourself lol

Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good reply JB. In all fairness I guess I would have to run an Accuset to know for sure.
But I'll take your word for it.  ;D

I can beat you at mountain climbing though.  :D

JB Griffin

The goat wants simpleset so I'll just shut up.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

JB Griffin

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thank You Sponsors!