iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

THE GOAT DID IT! A brand spanking NEW WOODMIZER!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 02, 2018, 06:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What degree blade are you running on the Wide Head Diesel?

I was gonna go turbo 7 but a guy at WM Indy said the turbo 7 didn't do to good in Pine or Poplar.
So I think I'm gonna stick with what I have been sawing with.....Double Hard 4 degree.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

AdamT

Double Hard 10s. My next box will be 4s. Seems like a lot of people run the 4s, and I haven't once tried them.

Never was a big fan of the turbo 7s. But that's just me.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: AdamT on January 17, 2018, 11:45:01 PM

Never was a big fan of the turbo 7s. But that's just me.

Their sending me a free T7 to try. I know it'll cut but I'm dead set now on keeping the 4 degrees I have been using for years.
They have never let me down.

JB Griffin

My mill is similar in hp to ya'lls and I think I have found ( at least for now) THE blade........Kasco 7/35. I cut some 16ft pine the other day and impressive is an understatement,  12in wide cut 16ft long in about 20-25 seconds and flat flat flat. Even stalled the head once ( stopped going forward) squalled the drive belt, stopped the feed, let the blade come back up to speed and took off again leaving only a slight line on the board no waves at all.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Southside

Torque Poston - it's all in the torque with an oil burner.  Horsepower is simply a measure of how fast you will be going when you hit a wall - torque measures how far you will push that wall after you hit it!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Southside logger on January 18, 2018, 09:18:01 PM
Torque Poston - it's all in the torque with an oil burner.  Horsepower is simply a measure of how fast you will be going when you hit a wall - torque measures how far you will push that wall after you hit it!!

More torque? You gonna need more horse power.  ;D
Replace the drive belt with a chain a sprocket.  :D :D :D

4x4American

How much goat power does the new mill have goat man??
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: AdamT on January 17, 2018, 11:03:23 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 17, 2018, 10:23:09 PM
Quote from: ncsawyer on January 17, 2018, 10:06:22 PM

......the new "emissions" diesel.  It has a screen that shows all kinds of cool information about the engine....

I did not know this but I like it! I made a comment in another post that i would like to have something like a dashboard to give the sawyer information about the engine. This sounds like a good thing. thanks for the info.

There's a bunch of different things the screen shows, these are the only two pics I have when I picked the new mill up in June. There's engine rpms, %engine load, exhaust temp, intake air temp, fuel temp, fuel pressure, engine hrs, voltage, etc etc. within each diagnostic you can go in and check out further if there is an issue. Just need to "play" with it when you get it. It's pretty neat, I always like to check the barometric pressure and adjust my sawing accordingly. It's a wonder anyone can saw without one equipped to their mill. 

And yes, the toggle switch for auto clutch is moved to the top right. It will take a few hours to rellearn where it's at. You'll keep hitting the blade guide arm toggle switch, which thankfully operates left to right so you won't engage it by accident.

Adam,

Do you have to get the Accuset to get those features or does it come with the SimpleSet options too?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 18, 2018, 09:30:18 PM
Quote from: Southside logger on January 18, 2018, 09:18:01 PM

More torque? You gonna need more horse power.  ;D
Replace the drive belt with a chain a sprocket.  :D :D :D

Funny you should say that, today when sawing a petrified hickory at 10 deg F and my belt slipped I was actually thinking that a cog belt like run on super chargers would sure fix that problem. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Southside logger on January 18, 2018, 09:38:19 PM

Funny you should say that, today when sawing a petrified hickory at 10 deg F and my belt slipped I was actually thinking that a cog belt like run on super chargers would sure fix that problem.

It would fix one and cause 6 more.  :D :D :D :D :D

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

AdamT

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 18, 2018, 09:34:19 PM
Quote from: AdamT on January 17, 2018, 11:03:23 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 17, 2018, 10:23:09 PM
Quote from: ncsawyer on January 17, 2018, 10:06:22 PM

......the new "emissions" diesel.  It has a screen that shows all kinds of cool information about the engine....

I did not know this but I like it! I made a comment in another post that i would like to have something like a dashboard to give the sawyer information about the engine. This sounds like a good thing. thanks for the info.

There's a bunch of different things the screen shows, these are the only two pics I have when I picked the new mill up in June. There's engine rpms, %engine load, exhaust temp, intake air temp, fuel temp, fuel pressure, engine hrs, voltage, etc etc. within each diagnostic you can go in and check out further if there is an issue. Just need to "play" with it when you get it. It's pretty neat, I always like to check the barometric pressure and adjust my sawing accordingly. It's a wonder anyone can saw without one equipped to their mill. 

And yes, the toggle switch for auto clutch is moved to the top right. It will take a few hours to rellearn where it's at. You'll keep hitting the blade guide arm toggle switch, which thankfully operates left to right so you won't engage it by accident.

Adam,

Do you have to get the Accuset to get those features or does it come with the SimpleSet options too?

I can't answer that for sure but I would guess it has nothing to do with which setworks is on the mill as it only displays information regarding the engine. When I picked the mill up the guy giving me the demo said it was the first one he had seen, and didn't know much about it. It's pretty neat bc you can go through the display and hit some buttons and it will display any fault codes that there may be.
And also keep an eye on the barometric pressure...

2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

AdamT

2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Dave Shepard

You can't run a cogged belt on a 40. It has to slip when it's disengaged.

Edit: I see you have a 35. Not sure how a 35 works.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JB Griffin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 18, 2018, 09:13:57 PM
You need more horse power JB.  :D :D :D

I don't care about the hp, I want TORQUE. ;D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Kbeitz

Quote from: JB Griffin on January 18, 2018, 10:41:03 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 18, 2018, 09:13:57 PM
You need more horse power JB.  :D :D :D

I don't care about the hp, I want TORQUE. ;D

Easy fix... Get a bigger flywheel...
Put an old hit & miss engine on it...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JB Griffin

That would work but you'd lose the torque you gained when you geared it up to get the blade speed up. I bet one of those would be easy on fuel though.

4x4American

I was thinking it'd be more like 1-2 goat power
Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

And what's more, with goat power you will get way more torque than you'll ever need. Had an old billy goat once and man I'd get torqued with that old boy!  :D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: JB Griffin on January 19, 2018, 06:44:13 PM

I bet one of those would be easy on fuel though.

You'd only have to fill your tank every other time.  :D

JB Griffin

JB Griffin

Quote from: Darrel on January 19, 2018, 07:32:59 PM
And what's more, with goat power you will get way more torque than you'll ever need. Had an old billy goat once and man I'd get torqued with that old boy!  :D :D :D

If it was mine he'd be supper. ;D Them critters sho do taste good. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!