iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

THE GOAT DID IT! A brand spanking NEW WOODMIZER!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 02, 2018, 06:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Did you hear it calling out when you drove off?  "Don't leave me, I'll do better next time!"   

Oh well, end of an era.

For some reason, every time I read this topic I am reminded of the Steven
King story "Christine." :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Treehack

Didn't see any mention of grits at that diner.  What a travesty. ;D
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: starmac on January 25, 2018, 04:01:53 PM

Probably a dumb question, but is there a reason to take yours in early, before they have your new one ready to go?

Not a dumb question at all. In fact a very good question. We've had some unusual cold weather this January.
Even though I keep up with my orders and call the customer and tell them their lumber is ready to pick up, I always get the same response...." Do you mind if I leave it there until next Tuesday? Its suppose to be back up in the lower 60's by then". I tell them ok, thats fine....even though they "really needed their lumber as quick as possible".  :o

I've been in these rodeos before.

So this is what happened. There's things I really need to get done around the yard. Repairs on sheds, sorting logs and burning junk wood and slabs. Even putting tools back where they go, taking chainsaw blades to get them sharpened, moving my diesel tank closer to where the new diesel mill will set, changing oil in tractors.....just "things" that need to be done when its hard to do because of sawing orders.

I had 2 loads of logs come in this afternoon that I unloaded. When they saw the mill was not there they truly understood the wait on the new mill and were actually excited to wait just to see the new wide head.

When i got back to the wood yard today and I SAW my mill was not there...it felt like a 500 pound weight was taken off my shoulders. Now I  CAN'T  saw until my new mill gets here and I DON'T have to rush myself to get certain lumber ready and fulfill a promise to somebody who's not gonna pick up their lumber per their promise because it's too cold, too muddy, I forgot my son has a ball game, we had a sick cow, a tree fell on the fence and on and on.

So i figured.....make hay while the sun shines. ( old saying ).

I said in another thread...if we don't take make the time to properly do our own personal things, our place will go to pot. This is true.

So I'll be working around my place getting everything ready for the new baby come Feb. 2.....and this is really depending on if the weather is right and the S.C. Forestry Commission don't have me on a detail.

I looked in the mirror this morning singing that old song...."Don't worry be happy".  :)

Hopefully i'll live to be 91 like my dad.  :D :D :D :D

Hope this answered your question.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

starmac

I totally understand, I just had it in my head that there was some sort of financial advantage to doing it that way.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Andries

Whoa Nelly here!
Is that really Poston replying in #204 ? ?
Usually your posts are marvels of wit, sass and clarity.
. . . kinda like the last one re grits.
Post 204 was longer and more detailed, and went to the soul of running your sawmill business.
It was an eyeopener - or should we get Kirk to put out a missing persongoat APB?   :D
Just maybe, David is feeling the emotional tug of letting a sawmill roll away?
Which we could all understand.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

petefrom bearswamp

Hey goat been lurking here for a while.
Hope you make it to your dad's age and die while sawing.
My new mill in 2008 didnt come until several weeks after i sold my old one to Chuck white.
Was itchy but did get some stuff done here that I had been neglecting.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Andries on January 25, 2018, 06:09:32 PM
Whoa Nelly here!

Just maybe, David is feeling the emotional tug of letting a sawmill roll away?

You are right. The mill I cut my teeth tooth on is gone!  smiley_sick  smiley_crying

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on January 25, 2018, 06:21:19 PM

Was itchy but did get some stuff done here that I had been neglecting.

You tell em Pete....you know exactly what I'm talking about.  :D
I think Chuck is still running your mill. At least you get to see it.  :)

Peter Drouin

I know what you're saying about some customers. :D :D :D :D
Got some wood in too.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Not to be a smart..
I would of taken it there now too, Before it broke down again.  :o :(
I always say,Take care of yourself,no one else will,a Ray saying.  ;D
Good for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Crossroads

Ups dropped off a package from Amazon this afternoon! My mill now has a pivoting tongue jack mounted on the front :) thank you!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Crossroads on January 30, 2018, 07:11:56 PM
Ups dropped off a package from Amazon this afternoon! My mill now has a pivoting tongue jack mounted on the front :) thank you!

It will make things a lot simpler.  :)

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well the new Wide Head is at Woodmizer Albemarle but no one is there to give it to me.
They're all at the farm show in Raleigh N.C. and won't be back until Monday.  :D :D :D :D

Like my dad says: Hurry up and wait. ( old saying ).  ;D

WLC

Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Darrel

On the bright side, just think of all the extra things you'll be able to do to get ready to make your new mill feel welcome!

pc_smiley
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Southside

If you are bored you are more than welcome to trot on up here, I will put you to work!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

I would rather buy a demo mill personally, it's apt to have been gone through thoroughly.   
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 4x4American on February 01, 2018, 08:40:47 PM
I would rather buy a demo mill personally, it's apt to have been gone through thoroughly.

Even a demo was once new.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!