iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

THE GOAT DID IT! A brand spanking NEW WOODMIZER!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 02, 2018, 06:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ya bunch of smart bass beetles.......especially you Deese!  :D :D :D

I tried the Turbo 7 blades today but not choice....cause I had to.

As I said I've been sawing a whack of logs from a guy who gets them off right of way clearings.
Mostly Oak, Poplar, Cedar, Persimmon and guess what showed up today?

Yep...... smiley_devil

I had a 4° blade on the mill I had used yesterday afternoon on a few logs and it was still sharp to start my day.
I sawed about 9 logs into cants and then next in line was a Hickory.....here we go.
I sawed 3 sides at about normal speed and was getting a little vibration but not enough to matter.
I had the lube flowing as I always do when sawing Hickory or Pecan.

All of a sudden.....the blade rises.

Then it dives drastically! I almost got through the log but couldn't......had to chainsaw the "board" off.

So at this point I'm thinking, well I've sawed a bunch with this blade and its time to change anyway.

So I put on a BRAND NEW 4°. My plan is to saw under the wave and have a good cant.
16 inches into the Hickory cant the BRAND NEW 4° dives almost an 3/4 of an inch.

Now I'm scratching my head.
If I had been running my gas engine at that cutting speed the engine RPM'S would have went down telling me
I am sawing faster than the blade can cut.
But with this diesel, the power from the engine was determined to keep sawing forward resulting in the 4° to dive. The diesel didn't grunt 1 time.

So it was time.....put on the turbo 7.

Installed it, cranked the PSI up to 3500 and the blade sailed through the log.  8)

Here's the face after the turbo 7.

I sent Joe Whitley at Albemarle Carolina Woodmizer and told him about it.
His reply was "I told you".  :D

The Turbo 7's performance was something I didn't believe but now I've seen it in Hickory.

But listen to me now.....I sawed Hickory for the next 2 hours.
Even though this blade is really good on high horse power engines you still have to respect the
hardnest of a Hickory Knot. If you go to fast you can get a wave on a very hard knot.
But as long as you "become one" with your log "Grasshopper", the Turbo 7 is a must have for high HP.

I called Georgia and ordered another box T-7's.

Now....it ain't over. The brand new 4° that dove in its first 16 inches of sawing didn't set real well with me.
So after finishing up the Hickory, I put a White Oak on the mill and reinstalled the Diving BRAND NEW 4°.

That blade sawed the White Oak like hot butter. I just had to prove to myself there was nothing wrong with that blade right out of the box....which can happen.

So there you have it....for my diesel, the turbo 7's gets a thumbs up in  smiley_devil_trident logs.
I betting they will be good on 30 inch wide White and Red Oak Slabs too.....I'll find out.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 09, 2018, 06:10:09 AM
Do you keep all the waste from the cant man?

Yep.....really nice firewood. All the slabs are pretty consistent.

Southside

Had you not dragged your hooves for so long you would have experienced this joy and elation sooner.... Welcome to the other side. :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 09, 2018, 08:06:27 AM
   Did he ever say what he does with the cants (not that it matters as long as he pays on time)? Does he resaw them or use them for dunnage/blocking or such? Inquiring minds want to know.

He pressure washing them while they are still on the trailer. Lets them dry and then stacks and stickers them under an open shed.
He'll resaw as needed or sell straight out.
The culls are sold for blocking or used in the company he works for.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Southside logger on February 09, 2018, 08:09:20 PM
Had you not dragged your hooves for so long you would have experienced this joy and elation sooner....

Elation? WDH was talking about my "foibles" the other night.....use words I can understand like briars and tin cans.  :D

Dave Shepard

Keep an eye on your belt tension. I bet it'll  drop a bit as it seats in. That's the first thing I check when I have a dive like that. Well, if there's no hardware evident its the first thing. I don't know if you had trouble with your gas mill, but the diesels are so loud and they don't lose rpms, it's hard to know if they are slipping.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 09, 2018, 08:23:25 PM
Keep an eye on your belt tension. I bet it'll  drop a bit as it seats in. That's the first thing I check when I have a dive like that. Well, if there's no hardware evident its the first thing. I don't know if you had trouble with your gas mill, but the diesels are so loud and they don't lose rpms, it's hard to know if they are slipping.

You will when the blade stops in the cut, :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Yup, mine stopped this afternoon so Monday AM there will be a belt tightening.  Those T7's put a load on the bandwheels.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

When you have the power all things need to be tight. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

With the Diesel, the Turbos are hard on everything, not just the log.  It got so tightening my drive belt was a routine chore. Then the power feed belt will also need tightening. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crossroads

What's the difference between the 7* and the turbo 7*? I have a box of 7's and they work ok, but not making me do the happy dance. Also, is 26hp enough to run them?
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

I have been very happy with turbos and I only have 25hp.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Regular 7s are have a 34 degree (from horizontal) back angle.  Turbos are 39 degrees (steeper).  The gullet of a turbo is also deeper than that of a regular 7.  So if you hold the Woodmizer blade gauge (regular 7) into a 7 turbo it won't fit all the way down to the bottom of the gullet.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

It seems that everything about the 7°T's require more HP.  That deeper gullet is also carrying more sawdust

They are quickly becoming my "go to" blade.  I zipped through some White Oak this week that otherwise I would have been removing a 10° and replacing it with a 4°.   ;)

That being said, I have still seen some "blade wave" when sawing through 3" & 4" pine knots.  Knotty SYP is the absolute most challenging thing that I regularly encounter.

Crossroads

Thanks, I see a box of 10 is on sale. I think I'll have to try them

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Crossroads

Sometimes I have the same trouble with hard dough fir knots. So far the 4's have worked the best for me there. Now I'm at a crossroads, I like to keep things pretty simple and the 4's seem pretty versatile. Sorry, I think I've gone outta bounds on the goats thread.

Magicman

Yup, trying to stay out of the "blade chase" is why I was reluctant to make a change.  Two blade profiles are enough for me to worry about because I am 100% portable.  I like things simple.   ;)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on February 10, 2018, 08:47:40 AM

I like things simple.   ;)

Exactly! I weened myself from the 10's years ago, then went through the 7° era and finally strictly 4°.
I had it made!  8)
Then what did I do?......Got a diesel. Now I gotta have the T-7 blades.
I'll still be testing to see if I can go strictly Turbo 7°.....not sure yet but then again I wasn't sure if I even need the Turbo 7's at all.  :D
I'm hard headed.  ;D

Magicman

Dave Shepard

I'm running just the T7s now. Still Jane some 10s around,  but only use them if I'm out of the T7s. Used to have 4s, and tried some 13s, but the T7s seem to have superseded both. The T7 is supposed to work well on the tropical hardwoods. That may even have been their original purpose. To put tropical hardwoods into perspective, hickory/pecan is 1820 Janka, purpleheart is 1860, and Ipe is 3684.  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JB Griffin

Theres no such thing as one blade that will do it all. We run wm 7/39 and kasco 7/40 exclusively at and all was well until the logs freeze and your screwed.  And white oak this week wouldn't cut flat at all with em, so put em on the sharpener and cut em to 4/40 profile and bingo.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Magicman

Thankfully we do not have frozen.  I only saw maybe a dozen White Oak logs per year and have always kept a couple of 4° blades in the bottom of my blade box for them.  I also use the 4° blades for knotty SYP.

Treehack

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 10, 2018, 11:11:02 AM
To put tropical hardwoods into perspective, hickory/pecan is 1820 Janka, purpleheart is 1860, and Ipe is 3684.  :o

Janka of Poston hard head?  :D
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

JB Griffin

The pine we saw is for train trussle timbers and they require a very good stick, mainly butt cuts and native timber no plantation junk. So not a whole lot of knots. 7/40 Kasco will FLY through it, 12ft long, 12-16in wide cuts, 8sec a line all day long.  Thats 90 ft a min.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Thank You Sponsors!