iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

THE GOAT DID IT! A brand spanking NEW WOODMIZER!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 02, 2018, 06:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly

I was in heavy truck sales in 2003 when the first epa engines were headed our way. Seminars, sales meetings, more seminars, another sales meeting and we still weren't prepared for the gong show that arrived. Cummins did the best job of getting us ready. Customers wanted to vent frustration at a government and all they had to talk to was this sales guy! We got our smooth sales talk speeches ready but no one really wanted to listen.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

PAmizerman

Wow Electric equipment is looking better and better all the time!
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ok Y'all....there must be tons of talk on sawdust removal on here.
I don't want a conveyor...
I don't want any hose hooked to my new mill.

What I have in mind is a vacuum system.
I can discharge my sawdust on the floor all day and its not in the way.

But at the end of the day I want to have a bendable hose I can suck the sawdust straight up 15 feet and then it goes out
of the building though a 30 foot pipe into a pile.

I'm not good at collecting junk and making something work. I just need to know where I can buy
a "sucker / blower" that has enough power. I can hook the pipes up.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

PAmizerman

Not sure if it would work or how it could be powered but for some reason the first thing that came to mind was a silage blower. Wish I could be more help but I'm still doing it the old fashioned way....one shovel full at a time.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Southside

Woodmaster has a 5hp, single phase, 240V unit that will do what you need, Reed can hook you up with what you need.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Southside logger on February 13, 2018, 11:24:23 PM
Woodmaster has a 5hp unit that will do what you need.

I didn't see it on the website but I will call them.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Southside

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on February 13, 2018, 11:26:27 PM
Quote from: Southside logger on February 13, 2018, 11:24:23 PM
Woodmaster has a 5hp unit that will do what you need.

I didn't see it on the website but I will call them.

Look up DB500 in their search bar, I always have trouble finding stuff on their site.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

How about the D,R, thing that sucks up leaves? See them on TV all the time.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

goose63

PTO grain vac the farmers use them to empty grain bens
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

YellowHammer

Since our insurance company and Fire Marshal requires our mill to be cleaned weekly, I have tried to use my 5 hp blower as a sawmill vacuum to pick up all the debris under the mill that was missed with the hose blower and I didn't have much success.  Admittedly, 90% of the sawdust was already sucked out when sawing, so the stuff under the mill was that nasty, irregular mix of residual dust and all the stuff that falls off the logs when sawing, such as small bark chips, big chips, poison ivy, grape vines, etc.  With a six inch inlet, the pipe mouth kept clogging.  The blower had enough suction and would pick up the wet sawdust OK but not overly fast, but between the hose clogging and all the bending over, it wasn't much fun.  I went back to shoveling.

I think a better solution would be something designed to pick up lots of fibrous debris without clogging, with a big hose.  I think the silage blower, lawn sucker, grain vac, something like that would be better.  Something designed to suck up bigger, heavy wet stuff without clogging.  I hadn't thought of this, I may look into them also.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

So then the one stop solution for your cyclone and debris needs is to get a full on Vacuum truck like is used at industrial facilities, you must have seen them on the road - something like a 300hp blower, tank and all.  Just keep small children, pets, and any hand tools away from the inlet pipe!!

Happy Birthday by the way. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

pineywoods

You need a BILLYGOAT leaf vacuum.  ;D Mine is permanently attached to the saw shed, only one short piece of hose, rest is metal stovepipe and some miscellaneous stuff Pics in my gallery. Harbor freight 2hp blower. If your sawshed has a concrete floor, let the sawdust pile up on the floor all day, 1 pass with a small tractor with a box blade, cheap, simple..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

goose63

With the grain vac you can move a 1000 bushels of corn in abought 1 houre
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WV Sawmiller

Great Northern Flicker,

A big old War Eagle Happy Birthday from WV too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

Crossroads

Quote from: Southside logger on February 14, 2018, 08:29:22 AM
So then the one stop solution for your cyclone and debris needs is to get a full on Vacuum truck like is used at industrial facilities, you must have seen them on the road - something like a 300hp blower, tank and all.  Just keep small children, pets, and any hand tools away from the inlet pipe!!

Happy Birthday by the way.

Don't forget your hearing protection, I work around them pretty regularly andi it's unbelievable how loud they are. But yeah, they'll suck up a fair sized goat 🐐
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bruno of NH

Like Mr piney says
Look on craigslist for a used Billy goat
I would look for an 8 inch
The company I snow plow for dumps all the Billy goat fall cleanup loads at my place
I roll it over 2 times a year and in 4 years sell it as compost
Them billy goats will move some stuff
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Plus it's called a Billy Goat can't make that up :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

I'd never heard of the Billy Goat.  I went to the website, it says it picks up cans, bottles, and even has the special "29 inch Gobbler" inlet. 
Impressive, even for a goat.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, all.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jjoness4

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on February 11, 2018, 04:33:50 PM
I'm sure some of you with these new diesel engines have had to re-gen by now.
My soot is at 16% right now.
I was wondering when it comes time to re-gen is there a warning, reminder, light flashing or what when its time to re-gen.

Thanks.

I have a call in to Woodmizer to see when they changed from Tier 3 to Tier 4.  David when you commented about the soot level of 16% I started looking for my indicator and there ain't  one.  My mill was delivered one year before yours.  They must have made the change-over in 2017 or I got an older engine.  I am not complaining however if that is the case.  Regening a sawmill might be tricky if it is like my Kubota tractor (takes 20 minutes at 2300 RPM).  ( maybe saw longer,bigger logs  8)  I am old school and running engines at screaming RPMs just don't seem right when you don't need to.
Maybe always returning head with engine engaged at full RPM will take care of it.  What does your manual advise.   But just know how much I am enjoying the diesel compared to what I learned on(16 hp B&S).  It is amazing.
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Mine has a Yanmar dashboard. I can toggle through all the information about the engine.
My manual didn't tell me how it would alert me when I need to regen but I'm assuming when its time, something will come up on that screen to alert me.....if not I'm assuming the RPMS will drop.

My high RPM when I engage the blade is 3030 rpm's.

From what I understand ay some point the auto clutch switch was moved and maybe another switch but they moved them back this year.

Seems like things are really changing for 2018.

redneckman

I picked my mill up in June of 2017 from Joe at Woodmizer of the Carolinas.  It has a 47HP Yanmar with no regen.  It still has the autoclutch.  I have thought about adding a tach, temp, and oil pressure guages.  I hate those dummy lights.  In the bright sun, I doubt I would ever notice if one came on.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

From what I understand the 35.9 diesel is gonna be the largest engine that will be on a WM now.

Thank You Sponsors!