iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

THE GOAT DID IT! A brand spanking NEW WOODMIZER!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 02, 2018, 06:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

redneckman

I looked at my manual.  Not sure if it makes any difference but according to the schematics, if you were  floating above the mill looking down to the top of the barker motor, the blade is pictured so it is cutting in the counter clockwise direction.  This means that the chips wouild exit toward the tongue end of the mill or the direction of the barker is cutting against the direct of the head.  This would make sense.  If the blade is turning the other way, as the head moves down the mill, it is pushing the barker blade deeper into the log.  I could see where this would be a problem, if this in fact is whats happening.  Hope this helps.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: redneckman on February 15, 2018, 08:20:21 PM
I looked at my manual.  Not sure if it makes any difference but according to the schematics, if you were  floating above the mill looking down to the top of the barker motor, the blade is pictured so it is cutting in the counter clockwise direction.  This means that the chips wouild exit toward the tongue end of the mill or the direction of the barker is cutting against the direct of the head.  This would make sense.  If the blade is turning the other way, as the head moves down the mill, it is pushing the barker blade deeper into the log.  I could see where this would be a problem, if this in fact is whats happening.  Hope this helps.

Yes Sir....this helps a lot. I think they switched rotation of the DBarker blade on purpose but I'm gonna switch my back and test it.

redneckman

A quick way to tell is look at the back of the teeth.  If the blade is on backards, you have been cutting with the back of the teeth.  They will be shiny.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

MartyParsons

Hello,
  These Mark III Debarker assemblies have been used for a few years on the LT70. I also had issues tripping the breaker. My advise is to not hold the button to the left as much as you had with the Mark II. If you watch the in and out motor it moves at a range. If you go over this range you are overloading the motor. I keep bumping the button now I have not tripped the breaker since.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

AdamT

When I took my mill to Indy last week they reveresed the motor and the blade. However, he told me they are aware that these new debarkers are tripping the breaker and to report back if mine is. He said there will be a "skid plate" available to keep the debarker from digging in to the log and tripping the breaker.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Magicman

Since the sawmill is "brand spanking NEW" I would not switch wires or anything until I talked with WM and had their approval.  Marty gave you the answer above but I would not like having to fine tune the Debarker's pressure on the log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: AdamT on February 15, 2018, 08:37:41 PM
When I took my mill to Indy last week they reveresed the motor and the blade. However, he told me they are aware that these new debarkers are tripping the breaker and to report back if mine is. He said there will be a "skid plate" available to keep the debarker from digging in to the log and tripping the breaker.

Good info Adam, but I'll probably reverse mine until then.

AdamT

2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: AdamT on February 15, 2018, 08:51:45 PM
Reverse the blade too

I will. DanG thing is probably hard to get off.  ::) I wonder if its reverse threads?

AdamT

2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: MartyParsons on February 15, 2018, 08:29:22 PM
Hello,
  These Mark III Debarker assemblies have been used for a few years on the LT70. I also had issues tripping the breaker. My advise is to not hold the button to the left as much as you had with the Mark II. If you watch the in and out motor it moves at a range. If you go over this range you are overloading the motor. I keep bumping the button now I have not tripped the breaker since.
Marty

I just saw this Marty. It just does it on Poplar. But I think the skid plate will help that they are working on.
I guess WM coming up with a skid plate lets me know they know we have a problem. I will call them tomorrow.

Kbeitz

Does it have a nut holding the blade on? reversing it might be a bad idea.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 15, 2018, 09:04:33 PM

Unless it is running the wrong direction now.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

Which is a good thought.  Mine is left hand threads which accommodates the blade direction.  WM or Marty would have to answer which way the Mark III is.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Quote from: starmac on February 15, 2018, 09:07:18 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on February 15, 2018, 09:04:33 PM

Unless it is running the wrong direction now.

Yep your so right...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Here's what I'm gonna do:

Call WM in the morning.
Find out the ETA on the skid plate.
NOT change a thing.
Will just deal with it in Poplar until skid plate gets here...its just a reset button.  ;D

I think this way I will not void a warranty.  :)

4x4American

Quote from: Magicman on February 15, 2018, 07:48:49 PM
Which way is the new Debarker turning?  Mine turns so that it is always pulling out of the cut.  It sounds like your new one is turning like a "skilsaw" and pulling into the cut.  It certainly would do a better job of cutting while turning that way but there is also a greater chance of the blade digging too deep and stopping which it sounds like yours is doing.

Talk to WM and find out which way the blade is supposed to be turning.  Since it is a DC motor, reversing the leads should reverse the armature direction.

The debarker on my 70 wide turns so that it spits the junk away from the blade, not into it like my lt40 did.  BUT, the debarker actually works much better when it turns the way the old lt40 did.  Think of a car doing a burnout.  When the car does a burnout the tires are moving faster than the vehicle is actually traveling wnd you lay the rubber down on the ground.  Now pretend you're in that car being towed by a tractor trailer doing 60mph and you have the trans in reverse and are spinning the tires backwards as fast as you can but the tractor trailer is stronger and is towing you steady at 60 mph.  The tires are floating over the ground more not as much digging into the blacktop.  Thats the best analogy I can think of rn lol.  Moral of the story the debarker actually digs in much better when its spinning in the direction the headrig is traveling not against it.  I think the angulation probably has alot to do with it too because on certain size logs the debarker bites in good but on most of the small logs I cut the debarker (with full psi) floats over the log and doesnt bite in very well.
Boy, back in my day..

Southside

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on February 15, 2018, 08:22:48 PM

I'm gonna switch my back and test it.

Don't beat yourself up over it..... you have friends here....   :D :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: 4x4American on February 15, 2018, 09:36:43 PM

Think of a car doing a burnout.  When the car does a burnout the tires are moving faster than the vehicle is actually traveling wnd you lay the rubber down on the ground.  Now pretend you're in that car being towed by a tractor trailer doing 60mph and you have the trans in reverse and are spinning the tires backwards as fast as you can but the tractor trailer is stronger and is towing you steady at 60 mph.  The tires are floating over the ground more not as much digging into the blacktop. 

move_it   say_what    :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

redneckman

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on February 15, 2018, 09:13:45 PM
Here's what I'm gonna do:

Call WM in the morning.
Find out the ETA on the skid plate.
NOT change a thing.
Will just deal with it in Poplar until skid plate gets here...its just a reset button.  ;D

I think this way I will not void a warranty.  :)

Good Plan.

Thank You Sponsors!