iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing used Cross Ties

Started by widetrackman, January 22, 2021, 04:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

widetrackman

Well being I have no timbers to use for supporting beams for my stacking pile and did not want to go to box store and buy treated timber I thought I would use cross ties and put them on the mill and level at least one face. Any problems ? what about blades?

Nomad

I think you're going to find your blades don't last very long.  The cracks and checks will be full of stuff bands don't like to cut.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ventryjr

Just recently picked up some used ties to use under my mill power plant.  I purchased 12. And hit steel on 3 of them cutting in half (4'3").   I wouldn't put them thru the mill.  Buy some pt less headaches.      
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

ladylake

I'd just use them as they are,  maybe some furring strips on top.  Also piles should be no more than 4' wide for air flow  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

Rail roads ties.  :o I built steps out of them. Had to cut a few to length.  Again  :o  Sometimes I could not get through a cut without having to sharpen the chain again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

In addition to the metal and dirt the creasote will make a nasty mess of your saw, skin, eyes, and lungs. Not worth it at all. 

You will get calls from folks asking you to saw those up for them, had one yesterday. Just say no. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

curved-wood

I did resawing some train bridge BC fir. I had some problem just to finish the first cut. The cracks were full of gravel grain. So at least changing blade at every cut. I had to quick the contract which I really hate to do. Also, I had plane some treated lumber...what a mess in the cleaning..took longer to clean than to plane...and not talking about the health risks. Never again

Mike W

I'm trying to envision something 'worse' to your health and saw/ equipment then cutting these.  There is a reason nothing in nature will touch these once treated and laying on the ground. ::)

farmfromkansas

I just use some concrete blocks on the ground, then some 6x6 untreated for my drying stacks.  When the pile is high enough, build a frame with tin on top, then it will cover your stack and your  base. Mine are still ok.  When not using, I just put the top over the 6x6's.  A good idea would be to get a car port, or build one to set your stacks in, then everything stays dry.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

widetrackman

Ok Guys,  don't saw them, use as they are or don't use them. Thanks

Cedarman

A railroad tie should split fairly easily if the S iron is removed from the ends. 60 years ago I know my uncle used split ties for vertical studs when building a long lean to on the corn crib. They used a cross cut saw to cut to length.
Double the number and halve the weight.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

D6c

Everything in California seems to cause cancer these days, but as it happens, cresote was the very first compound that California classed as a carcinogen.

Some places it's illegal to use railroad ties as landscaping timbers.

Thank You Sponsors!