iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For those who KD for the public

Started by brdmkr, April 10, 2007, 12:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

It seems that the most frequent amount of lumber that kiln operators are requested to dry would be a good starting point for determining the size of a kiln (or kilns).  For those of you who dry lumber for the public, what size charges are most common?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tony

I talked to a kiln owner today. He said I need to have at least 1000bdt ::) ::)

Tony 8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

scsmith42

With few exceptions, 1K bd feet is the minimum that I will dry in a load.  Customers may ask for less, but it's not worthwhile to operate my kiln for less.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

brdmkr

Quote from: scsmith42 on April 10, 2007, 10:57:45 PM
With few exceptions, 1K bd feet is the minimum that I will dry in a load.  Customers may ask for less, but it's not worthwhile to operate my kiln for less.

That is sort of what I am getting at.  I have been thinking about building a kiln.  While I understand that solar kilns work just fine, I think I would like to have something that will allow me a little more control over the charge.  If I built a conventional or DH kiln, I would feel that the cost involved should be recouped by hiring the kiln out.  The trouble is, most of the 'off-the-shelf' kiln packages are designed to dry 4000+ bdft.  It seems that there would be a lot of wasted space with the smaller loads.  Are there any kiln manufacutures that produce a conventional or DH kiln in the 1500 bdft range?  I know that Nyle has a smaller kiln, but the price difference between it and the L200 is so little, that it does not make sense to buy the smaller unit (i.e., if the costs are the same you might as well have a bigger kiln).
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

flip

I bought a used Ebac LD 3000 that supposedly will do 3000bf.  After we built the chamber according to their figures I find that it would be hard to stuff that much wood in.  I'm not super impressed by the Ebac but it does dry wood.  I have been doing about 5-700 b/f in the few loads I've done, but none for pay, just personal.  I would think to get something at least 1-2000 b/f  for when business expands ;)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

fireman05

My average load to dry customers lumber is 1-2000 ft.  I do have requests for smaller amounts and usually dry them but only when I have enough of that species to make a full load.  Too costly otherwise!

I am considering purchasing a second Nyle L200 DH kiln and making the chamber small enough to dry only1-1500 bd ft maximum to accomodate those smaller requests.

My L200 has a chamber large enough to dry 4000 bd ft per load and in the 2+ years of operating it, it is only shut down long enough to reload it.  Other than hunting season of course. 8)  That is my vacation time.

I did operate a WoodMizer solar kiln for about 10 years and was happy with it for hardwoods.  Excellent quality finish.  Problem is that in Northern Michigan, our winters are long and summers are short.  It took too long to dry with not enough capability to dry per load.  Couldn't keep up with the demand for kiln drying.

Good Luck and hope this helps.
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

scsmith42

Brdmkr, my kiln is a Nyle L200 (Woodmizer 4000) and it's capacity is based upon the max% of MC removal per day of the species that your drying.  I can put up to 4K Bd Ft of hardwood in it, but on a fast drying softwood such as pine about 1,500 bd feet is the sweet spot.

You will not go wrong in dealing with the folks at Nyle.  Great service, great product, great attitudes, and they are focused on saving your $ wherever possible.  Their after the sale support is fantastic.  I've actually had Don Lewis talk me out of spending money because he felt that I didn't need to - now is that a great vendor or what?!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

oakiemac

I have an ebac Ld 3000 that I have put in a chamber that will hold about 1000bf of 4/4 and I have a nyle that will hold about 2700bf. If I get a small amount from a customer-say 500bf-then I will put it in with my own lumber and either put it in the nyle if I have enough or the ebac. I try to never run less then a full load which is not a problem since I can always finish off a load by putting in my own stuff.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Homer

brdmkr; I have a nyle 200 and can dry up to 2700 bdft. if lengths fit right. I'll dry 500 ft.,baffleing properly, it works for me. Retired so don't have to live on that money. Homer

BC Woodworks

I have the Northland Modified 1000 kiln. The kiln is 220 volt, 20 amp, cycle venting kiln. It takes approx. 1000 b/f in each load. Boards can be 12' long. The kiln comes pre-made and delivered by Common Carrier Freight. Cost new 9k. I 'am very happy at the the way the lumber is drying. It won't take long to pay for at the rate I going. Brad

Thank You Sponsors!