iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

7.3 Ford Diesel

Started by Corley5, May 24, 2014, 09:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I'm looking at a 2000 Ford 550 4X4 with a 10' mason dump box, Meyer straight plow, 202,000 miles on the engine and chassis with 60,000 on the auto tranny.  The seller says it runs good.  I'm going down tomorrow to check it out.  I looked at it briefly tonight but there was no one around to do any more than that.  Cab corners are just starting to bubble, dump box looks real nice.  Seller says the only issues are a leaking seal at the input on the rear axle and it needs to be plugged in for a while to start  :-\ ??? :-\  He says they've replaced the glow plugs and some sensors and it still does it but that it runs really good with good power and no smoke.  I'm concerned about a possible lack of compression  ??? :-\ being the reason for the hard starts.  After the block heater warms it up it fires right up.  Anybody have an idea what could be the cause other than low compression  ???  He said he'd been told it was a common problem with them  :-\  He's got 9,000.00 in the window but came down to 8,500 on the phone.  Seems like a decent price  :-\ depending on the starting issues.  I've got enough projects/money pits and don't need another.
  We were going to an auction tomorrow that has an 84 1/2 ton Chevy 2 wheel drive with 85,000 miles with an almost perfect cab and front clip and a 350 engine.  My 1 ton is an 84 and needs a cab and a 350 engine  ;D  If the price was right it would be a donor.  But the Ford maybe a better option if the starting issue isn't a big deal.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

kiko

Good engine.  Have one with 350k and another with over 300k but probably has the equivalent of half a million or more if you count pto time with the air compressor and crane.  The hard start could still have something to do with the glow plug circuit, injector issues high pressure oil leak.  The mileage on my trucks did not happen with out many expensive repairs but both have the original base engine.  However injector replacement can cost as much as a new 350 crate engine as the injector cost about 250 each. That Chevy May function but IMO is not even in the same class.

Corley5

My concern is an expensive fix before I can use the truck  ;D  It would be several steps up from the old Chevy.

LeeB

Worn injectors could be a reason for the hard starts. When you start if watch for a rough idle. If only one or two are bad this may give you a clue. Poor boy way to check is to loosen  the injector lines one at a time. If the idle gets worse that injector is not the bad one. If there is little or no change then the injector is highly suspect. If they are all worn this will not tell you much. At 200k it is quite likely they are worn. Watch for excessive black smoke when you accelerate. Another sign of worn injectors. Less than expected fuel milage is also a clue.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

dgdrls

Seems to be a common issue with this motor.
First place to start is the glow plug relay.
basic web search will point you in the right direction quickly
for this test.

FWIW,  I'm with Kiko,  "That Chevy May function but IMO is not even in the same class."

best
DGDrls

sprucebunny

I have a 2000 F450 . Bought it several years ago with 48k miles. It had only plowed and never been washed = rusty. Standard trans.
Here's some things to check.
Transmission mount. Mine was broken. Caused problems with rear diff and pinion seal. Also had a broken rear main leaf spring. Engine has 2 mounts and transmission has a third to support the whole thing.....

Check oil pan for rust / leaks. Cab has to be removed to remove engine to replace oil pan. Mine came with a new oil pan... must be some special metal....I oiled it and it's pretty rusty already...

Condition of front springs.

Good batteries made a huge difference starting.

I had to replace the plow that came with mine...just too sloppy. Also someone had hit something... mine came with new front springs.

All 450/550 have a 4.88 rear. Will probably never get more than 10 mpg but you can pull anything.

I think it's a great motor but Ford could have tried a little harder to mount it more firmly in the trucks.
Check rocker panels for rust. Mine holds water under the door step trim ::)
Check for rusty brake lines... I plowed my driveway all winter with no brakes... it was stuck in low range anyway....

That kind of milage, anything needs some attention but you don't want to have to do the oil pan or transmission mount. I think each are about $2500.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Corley5

Quote from: sprucebunny on May 25, 2014, 06:46:10 AM
Engine has 2 mounts and transmission has a third to support the whole thing.....

Check oil pan for rust / leaks. Cab has to be removed to remove engine to replace oil pan. Mine came with a new oil pan... must be some special metal....I oiled it and it's pretty rusty already...

you don't want to have to do the oil pan or transmission mount. I think each are about $2500.

Pulling the cab to do the oil pan doesn't sound good at all :o  Thanks SB.  Still haven't decided whether to go with the old Chevy that I know or strike out into uncharted territory  ;D

snowstorm

i have had a 7.3 for over 15yrs. glow plugs are cheap and not hard to install. and yes it needs them at 50degrees or even 60. it will start quicker withless smoke. but they are not a quick starting motor. it needs to build oil pressure because thats what operates the injectors. it uses 3000psi. oil pans do rust. so look that over. i changed one in a f350....no fun at all. i have had the ford dealer tell me it can be done in the f550. my f550 had been done 6.0.

goose63

I have a 94 7.3 that has 255000 miles had to get the injector pump rebuilt it gets bought 18 mpg but I drive at 60 mph. I plug it in year round think its better to start a warm engine
its getting to be a rust bucket but its a work truck 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

snowstorm

the cabs were built to come off. takes a couple hrs. to haul firewood? you will like it

Corley5

Yup, firewood truck  ;D  I'm meeting the guy at 11 to take a closer look  :)  I'll miss the old Chevy at the auction but it's fine.  Dee says I've got too many projects as it is without taking on a truck restoration.  She'd know  ;) ;D

glassman_48

corley5,
My brother in law owns hilltop maintenance in Mesick, he works on all the logging equipment in the area besides trucks and cars.  He knows a lot about 7.3's he owns one right now.  If you want his number let me know. good luck, ed

Corley5

This truck's in your area glassman  :)  A little north of you actually.  We're heading out the door right now.

Autocar

Here a few years ago I was asking some fellows on another forum about my 7.3 starting hard when it was cold. They told me to run shell rotela synthetis my glow plugs haven't worked for years but below zero temps. it will start like a summer day . But to be honest I have the block heater on a timer and it will come on around four in the morning. Best engine ford ever made besides the 300 six. My opinion as far as that goes  :D.
Bill

Dave Shepard

Except it was made by Navistar.

Corley, you just need to huck that 7.3 into the bushes and find an old 12v and put a 275HP cam plate in it and never look back. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Autocar

I knew the older 7.3 were made by Navistar but thought the newer ones were made by ford. Never get to old to learn something new  ;).
Bill

WmFritz

If my memory isn't failing me, I think Navistar made the 7.3 until '03, then went to the 6.0 liter.
In model year '08 Ford came out with their 6.4 liter. My FIL bought one of the first  in our area and had major oil leaking issues. The engine was pulled twice and then finally replaced.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Corley5

Deals been made  8)  I can't get the cash until Tuesday and will pick the truck up Wednesday.  Runs great, clean, goes down the road nice, no major leaks, oil pan is rusty but doesn't appear too deep yet, good oil pressure, some rust on cab but not bad yet.  Seems like a solid old truck.  It was originally red and is white now but the paint job is pretty good.  F-550s are real trucks  8)  Heavy axles, springs and frame.  Should make a good firewood truck.  I took some pics to put up later.

barbender

If I can't have a 5.9 Cummins, then I'd want a 7.3. Good score, Corley. I'd start with the glow plugs for the starting issue, any Ford diesels I have been around won't start without them. I don't care if it's 90° out.
Too many irons in the fire

Corley5

8) 8) 8)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stihltoomany

Looks awful good, just be careful that motor doesn't bankrupt you, it is a Ford after all ;D ;D
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

snowstorm

all of fords diesels were built by international until 2011 thats when the 6.7 came out built by ford. that 550 looks pretty good. what i dont like about the ford cab is there are way to many places for salt sand to hide under the cab. i use lots of fluid flim and paint the frame every other year. one thing to look out for are wheel studs they need to be really tight and cracked wheels. that only has 8 studs the newer ones had 10. just something to look out for. the parking brake is useless dont trust it. 5 ton it the back of that truck and you wont even know its there

glassman_48

Corley5,
Thats a lot of truck for the money, I am betting I probably put a windshield or two in some of that company's trucks.  Hope your trucks issues are an easy fix.  good luck,,,ed

snowstorm

the 6.9 and 7.3 ford ih until 95 were indirect injection they had injection pumps and lines. the 95 and up power stroke is direct injection. it dose not have an injection pump or external lines . the fuel is ported thru the head. to high pressure unit injectors powered by 3000psi of oil pressure from the high pressure oil pump. the fuel system was a joint venture between ih and cat. anyone with a 7.3 with some age on it in snow salt country should also watch for oil leaks at the oil cooler. left side of the motor.they can or will rust and leak

Thank You Sponsors!