iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 084 info please

Started by missouri_logger, January 29, 2009, 11:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missouri_logger

yes i was wanting to know what you all think about one i have just purchased one like brand new and it seem to run really good but i wanna hear the likes and dislikes of them from you thanks for all

sawguy21

Nice if you need the big power. How much are you cutting?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thompsontimber

Great if you are felling big timber, it really eats...but if you are lugging it through the woods all day you might start wishin you had some sort of self propelled saw buggy, it can wear on ya.

timber tramp

Well, you should'nt ever need a bigger saw. ;) :D :D  If you're taking it to the woods, you might look into hiring someone to pack it for you though. ;D                   :)TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Cut4fun

They sure are a heavy beast and just having one in the woods for a short time walking around, whew what a load!  I bring one for a back up (in back of truck) if I get in something the lighter saws cant handle or I just want to rip it quick.

chevytaHOE5674

Use mine for milling and flushing large stumps before the grinder comes in. I have never ran into a tree in the woods that I couldn't drop with the 460/660, so the 084 stays out of the woods.

I like the manual oiler addition that the 880 lacks.

Cut4fun

I never weighed them, but the Dolmar 166 seems to be even heavier then the 084's I have. Dolmar  number 2  is in route  8).

Rocky_J

Where did you find a brand new 084? They got replaced with the 088 many years ago, I don't even remember when they quit making the 084.
???

Cut4fun

Rocky he said LIKE brand new.   

My latest 084 has a clear tank and I had never seen that on any other 084 or on my other 3.

I will check the discontinued date of the 084 and get back.

I couldnt find it where the 084 stopped, but found where it said it started in 1986. Couldnt find where 088 started either. Found where it said MS880 begin in 2004.

Al_Smith

Most 100 plus cc saws don't see much use . Most likely why they last almost forever .

It's hard to beat the raw power in very large wood .However the novelty wears off if you are into normal stuff .

I have 5 saws of 99 to 123 cc range. I doubt between them all they get more than few hours run time if that much in years time .My friend who owns a tree service has an 084 and he likewise doesn't get the big boy out that much .

Banjo picker

I bought a nice one today.  Too good a deal to pass up.  Going to put it to the test monday, as we have 3 logs to split into.  They are too big to go between the rollers of the mill.  Sweetgum 42 inches.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Cut4fun

Quote from: Cut4fun on January 30, 2009, 08:54:41 PM
I never weighed them, but the Dolmar 166 seems to be even heavier then the 084's I have. Dolmar  number 2  is in route  8).

I know the answer now.

1982-1990
8.0 HP
118 cm ³
53-112 cm
12.4 kg

from 1986-
8.6 HP
121.6 cm ³
50, 63, 75 cm
9.0 kg

chipsfly09

Good power! awful heavy-- Had to put a carb on mine-- Good for cutting off big stumps-- never actually used it for felling-- Im sure it would work if you could hold it up!   Rutherfordton-- what are the odds?

chipsfly09

Rutherfordton ref- for thompsontimber- had some trouble getting mine worked on

Al_Smith

An 084 is indeed a powerful  thing .As far as heavy ,that is just in reference of if a person has ever ran large saws before . For me it's not a big deal ,for others that might consider an 044 as a large saw,it would be .

They don't get used that much even for professional tree trimmers . Fact is just yesterday I fired one up that had sat for over a year .One prime and two tugs and the beast came alive .

Good powerfull saw,no doubt ,just not something the average saw user would never get much use out of  to justify the price . Then again,it's only money . :)

Banjo picker

I will agree that it won't get used too much, esp here in Mississippi.  But when I cut off my own place I like the stumps right down on the ground, make my woods pretter.  An I have plenty that the 20 inch bar on the 460 won't get that low on.  I have a 36 inch bar and chain I could put on it, but I believe it would be faster to use the 84 then switch saws than have to change the bar out.  When cutting we keep the Kubota RTV relatively close by so, its not like I would be wagging it all over the mountains of the NW.  Highest point in Ms is 806 feet.  :D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ErikC

We've got more elevation change on 20 acres of trinity county, CA than your whole state banjo. :D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Al_Smith

Speaking of elevation ,I do believe where I'm at in Ohio is the flattest part of the US if not the world .Not flat like table but regarding changes in elevation .

Is was known in pioneer days as the great black swamp that starts near here and goes clear to lake Erie . Noted in it's days for mosquitoes that resembled small birds and hugely immense oak trees .

The swamp was drained years ago and a few of the huge oaks still remain .Those are worthy of a saw the size of an 084 Stihl .

Banjo picker

Quote from: ErikC on March 01, 2009, 10:57:08 AM
We've got more elevation change on 20 acres of trinity county, CA than your whole state banjo. :D

Most states has got hills that don't ever get named taller, but our peak of 806 feet, (right in by back door nearly) gets a spot in all the atlas's high points, and people will drive hours out of their way, park at the bottom and walk up just so they can put Woodall Mt. on their check list.  There is a club (High Point or something similar) that tries to get all the high points in every state, so they got to get ours. :D  Tim

singlejacker

if you start out with 084s,you dont know any better.thank god for technology.if there would have been 084/066 in the fifties and sixties,instead of david bradly gear drive  there wouldnt be a tree in the west.I would not use a 084 commercially now,stay safe,dan.

Thank You Sponsors!