iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bargain

Started by Pine Ridge, March 04, 2019, 01:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pine Ridge

Always seeing good deals on things people have bought , i'm never lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to get one of the bargains. Bought a new 240 husqvarna this morning from lowes, original price 179.oo, I paid 47.50 plus tax out the door. I may never use it for anything but haul it on the side by side or 4 wheeler, it will save beating and banging my 550xp around for that. Got it to the shop, gassed and oiled it up, fired up 3rd pull.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

lxskllr

Not my first choice, but for $47, I'd take it. How did you manage that?

sawguy21

Somebody probably flooded it so brought it back because it wouldn't start. The big box stores often write stuff like that off and blow it out the door rathere than trying to recover repair/shipping costs
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Pine Ridge

Lowes had it on clearance, demo model, tag said 89.50, I asked if that was the least they would take for it , the lady said hang on and I'll find out for you. She came back and asked if I would give 50 dollars for it, after my discount it was 47.50 plus tax. I don't need it but I couldn't pass it up for that price. I missed out on a sale they had on poulan 4218 saws a few weeks back, 40 some dollars for them marked down from i believe 129.00. Several of them are now on local craigslist.

starmac

My son gave me one of the little huskys, I want to say it is a 235, but may be a 240. I just keep it n the log truck in case I have to cut something, better than my 346 getting bounced around all the time.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Iwawoodwork

I have owned 2 of the small Husky 240s for a couple of years now ( wish I could have bought them for $50 instead of $139. they have 16 inch bars.  I have cut 6-8 cords with them, most was Juniper, similar to ERC, some fir  and for a small saw they have worked well for me. For small wood a lot easier to pack around than my 670 echo with 30" bar.

Inaotherlife

Can't beat fifty bucks for a new chainsaw. That's a great deal!

I just bought a 20 year old Poulan 3500 for 47 out the door. Looks pretty nice and newish, but has a fuel delivery issue and I haven't bothered to mess with it yet.
Started with a spoonful of mix. And p&c looked not too used when I pulled the muffler.

NCFarmboy

Quote from: Inaotherlife on March 05, 2019, 12:31:17 AM

I just bought a 20 year old Poulan 3500 for 47 out the door. Looks pretty nice and newish, but has a fuel delivery issue and I haven't bothered to mess with it yet.
Started with a spoonful of mix. And p&c looked not too used when I pulled the muffler.

Replace impulse line for sure most are rotten.  I use Echo 3mmx5mm or 3mmx6mm black rubber hose.  Tygon doesn't hold up in my experience.
Shep

Lots & Lots of Saws

Inaotherlife

Quote from: NCFarmboy on March 05, 2019, 07:43:38 PM

Quote from: Inaotherlife on March 05, 2019, 12:31:17 AM

Replace impulse line for sure most are rotten.  I use Echo 3mmx5mm or 3mmx6mm black rubber hose.  Tygon doesn't hold up in my experience.
Shep
Looked like it had new line on it. But it was routed wrong and pinched by the filter.
I'm going to tear down the carb and inspect all the lines....soon I hope.

hedgerow

Quote from: Pine Ridge on March 04, 2019, 06:36:34 PM
Lowes had it on clearance, demo model, tag said 89.50, I asked if that was the least they would take for it , the lady said hang on and I'll find out for you. She came back and asked if I would give 50 dollars for it, after my discount it was 47.50 plus tax. I don't need it but I couldn't pass it up for that price. I missed out on a sale they had on poulan 4218 saws a few weeks back, 40 some dollars for them marked down from i believe 129.00. Several of them are now on local craigslist.
Its nice to have a cheap little saw around to carry on the tractor,pickup or four wheeler. I have never bought a new that way but have bought several 10 or 20 dollar saws at garage sales or estate sales and usually just need carb cleaned out and they are ready to go. Some one bought them to cut one tree and then they just set so there usually like new. 

Pine Ridge

Friend of mine was given a white top 44 husqvarna with metal chain brake yesterday, its fairly clean and was in a carrying case, has not been used much, the man that gave it to him said it was his fathers, who had passed away . It has very good compression. New spark plug and fresh gas, cranked a few times and it fired up and run like a top, thats what i call a bargain !

sawguy21

That was a great little saw! Years ago I worked in a shop that was being shut down, the owners were another story altogether. Anyway, they each wanted a saw so I built two white top 44's from used parts, I did talk them into new rings, gaskets and seals. Light and good power, I wish I could have kept one.

Pine Ridge

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 31, 2019, 11:24:28 AM
That was a great little saw! Years ago I worked in a shop that was being shut down, the owners were another story altogether. Anyway, they each wanted a saw so I built two white top 44's from used parts, I did talk them into new rings, gaskets and seals. Light and good power, I wish I could have kept one.

This one is in great condition, and its going home with me !!!!!! We hooked a straight across trade at lunchtime, i get the 44, he gets the husqvarna 240, he's happy and i'm tickled to death. The guy that gave it to him said he could do whatever he wanted with it, so we are all good.

Pine Ridge

Sawguy this one doesn't have a felling spike, 2 screws where you would bolt one on is there, but i'm sure it didn't come with one. Did some research on them and they are very scarce. I may have to fabricate one from another model saw. Do you remember if the ones you worked on had felling spikes ? I don't have to have one on it, but it looks odd to me without one.

Al_Smith

Just as general information Lowes and others have a no questions asked return policy .Often people purchase a tool say a drill ,use it for few days and return it .They then discount the item and sell it to secondary seller who checks it out,repacks it with new instructions in a new case and resells it at a huge discount of some times less than half retail price .You have to search  for these companies on the internet . I bought a 1/2" Milwaukee right angle drill from a concern in S Carolina a number of years ago ,flawless .

sawguy21

Neither of them had bucking/felling spikes, they were too small to really use one. I used to get customers wanting spikes on their homeowner firewood saws presumably to use as a fulcrum point to make a dull chain cut faster.

Pine Ridge

Ok, thanks sawguy21. I cut some firewood with the 44 this morning, they do cut pretty good for a small saw. I went to town this afternoon and stopped at the saw shop, looked through some boxes of saw parts, found a 44 carcass but no spikes. Ended up buying a spike off of a 350 husky, i'll probably have to redrill one hole or the other but i'll make it work. Parts for the 44 can be found, but it looks like some are getting hard to find.

Pine Ridge

Had a spike ordered from ebay for the 44 husqvarna, got it today and it fits perfect, she's now complete. It will make a good saw for smaller firewood and cedar logs. I've got 40cc thru 80cc covered now, i'm on the lookout for a 394 or 395xp now, and i'd love to have a 2100 to redo.

Thank You Sponsors!