iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Corner struts engineering question

Started by Jpd, March 29, 2024, 11:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jpd

Hi everyone

My draft drawings came back from the engineer with a few notes and minor changes. I have a review session with him tomorrow, and one item he added was corner bracing as drawn in red in the attached screenshot.

I understand the correct terminology for a diagonal member for stiffening a structure in this manner to be called a strut (or a brace if it is under the supported beam).  Please advise if this is not correct.

He has drawn in red two additional struts, between the corner posts and the first stud.  From my reading and observation, the traditional frames if used, would have (on each side of the corner) one brace and possibly one strut going from the post to the sill. 

I will propose to him this method, but I am open to his thoughts.  I would like to hear if anyone on here has thoughts as well. 

Additionally, I have drawn the braces as shown to be 45 degrees, joining the post at 1/3 down from the girt.  Should I also make the strut meet the post  1/3 up from the sill, same length as the brace?  That seems to follow previous discussions here. 

I appreciate your thoughts.

JP

Here is the attached screenshot:

IMG_3608.jpeg

Don P

Can the sheathing act as the bracing? ... effectively providing those red arrows in the skin.

Oh, google fachwerk.

Jpd

thanks Don

Had a chat with the engineer this morning, and he is fine with the strut as drawn in the attached drawing, which seems in line with common practice.

strut.jpg

Thank You Sponsors!