iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cougar caught in bobcat cage trap...

Started by chain, February 05, 2012, 08:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

A SE/Missouri trapper has caught a two  yr. old cougar in his bobcat cage trap this past Jan. 4th. The trapper happened to be a county commissioner and showed off the big 'cat near the courthouse in Reynolds county.

The biologists came down from Jeff City to examine the cat and ascertained the animal was a two year old male that most likely came from South Dakota lookin' for a female. :-\[that'll get ya caught everytime!] Good news is, they took young tom out to the National forest and let him continue his affairs. ::)

zopi

I don't think I would volunteer to open the door to let him go... lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LOGDOG

I've seen two cougars together on my property and separately a couple other times. Just down the road, a couple we used to go to church with came home one night from church and had a black panther in their driveway standing there looking at them in their car.

They're around. Keeps us on our toes but I think it's awesome they're here. They shot one a few miles from here in Bossier City. I think it was about 125 lbs. Hated to see it get put down. They should have tranquilized that cat and taken it out to one of the Wildlife management areas. They're an awesome animal in spite of the occasional attack we read about in the news.

Left Coast Chris

You are welcome to ship them to my place.  :) :)  The Fish and Game out here get rid of the cats to protect people but they refuse to do anything about the explosion of deer that have followed.  They eat any live shoot.   Very distructive.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Red Pill

They're around us here in the Fort Worth area. A few years back there was one in Keller (a relatively urban suburb) taking dogs out of back yards. That one was trapped and re-located. Weatherford, just west of Fort Worth has had a lot of them, especially near whichever arm of the Brazos river goes through there.

Bill Gaiche

Its nice that he was saved from being killed and released to live on in his world. bg

chain

Everyone seems excited, our Tree Farm is just east of a 'cat sighting, also the county south I'D'd a cougar paw print, that county borders Reynolds county where 'cat was caged trapped.

I will predict the Mountain Lions will multiply quickly, and why? Well, years ago nearly everyone that lived in rural areas had dogs, mostly 'coon and deer hounds. They were free ranging mostly and hunted in the woods nearly every day & night. They kept things run off. But today, there are hugh expanses of Federal and State wilderness areas and game laws have encouraged against free running dogs. Most hounds now are more expensive, trained to run coyotes or hogs, and coon hunters do not seem to be very numerous. My uncle was a fox hunter with about a dozen walker hounds, his clan would sit out at night just to listen to the dogs,. That went on until the deer became so numerous then, fox hunts were bascially over. The more deer...the more 'cats.

terry f

They just killed one that was in a neighborhood in a town just north of me (Kennewick Wa). Hate to see them kill it, but when they get that close, not much they can do. We outlawed the use of hounds about 15 years ago, and everyone thought the population would explode, but it didn't seem to happen.

BrothersMule

A friend of mine claims she saw a cougar/panther/puma/mtn. lion (Big Black Cat) about a month ago in her back yard. I know the bigger cats used to be native to western NC but have not heard of any sitings  in a long time. Bobcats are common in these parts but she said this was jet black as big as a medium sized dog and had a long skinny tail. Sure sounds like a cougar to me.

Rumor has it the DNR or NCWRC are releasing them under the radar to try to control the deer population. They tried the same thing with Coyotes 10-15 years ago and now we have a deer and coyote problem. I have no hard evidence to prove this but have talked to several people with contacts that would know.

Either way IMHO cats especially  the big cats are some of the most amazing creatures on earth. Beautiful, majestic, powerful, athletic. I am always amazed at what they can do. Got to love Big Cat week on Discovery. I like it better than Shark Week myself.

LOGDOG

Big cats are amazing for sure. I like shark week too though. Diving with great whites is on my bucket list. Saving it for towards the end though in case things don't go well.  ;)

Texas Ranger

Those of you who have heard my story before, just bear with me. 

I have worked the woods in east Texas for 45 years now, and early on, killing a deer was difficult, dogs and outlaws kept them on low ebb, and subsistence hunters as well.

About 20 years ago the deer population started back, primarily because the leases closed in and they made it illegal to run deer with dogs. 

About the same time I saw my first big cat, on our hunting lease, quick glance from a deer stand, deep in the creek bottom woods.  I thought on it for awhile and started talking about it, and folks kinda laughed and went on.  Well over the next few years I had more sightings in the same area, and two out of the area.

All through this my wife said I was making it up to keep her out of the woods.  Yeah, right, she would go to the woods because of her fear of snakes.

One Sunday afternoon we were riding towards the next county to visit some friends, and about half way there this large cat came to the edge of the road in front of us, gathered it's self together and jumped the road, clearing it into the ditch on the other side and ran into the woods.

Wife, in disbelief, asked "  What was that?"  And I explained to her that she had seen what she had said I never saw.

Run forward a week or two, and I was talking with the county agent in that county, and told him the story.  He asked where abouts, and I said right near White Tail Ridge, and he laughed.  About the same time he had been called by a home owner in the area to come by and see what was killing her chickens.  He said biggest DanG cat tracks he had ever seen.

I think my wife almost believes me about the bears I have seen in east Texas.  Guess I'll have to show her one.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Den Socling

In one of the local history books that I read a few years back, the author described how cougars would follow loggers while they walked back to camp at night. Sometimes the last guy didn't make it. I can't imagine a cougar on my back sinking it's teeth into the back of my neck. We don't need too many around as far as I'm concerned but there are too many deer.

terry f

Cougars are killing machines, and if you have too many deer, they could help you out. As far as killing people, it just doesn't happen too often. Only eleven people have been killed, and two of them died of rabies, in the US since 1890. I always thought a bowhunter would be a victim in a cougar attack, but so far it hasn't happened. I don't know how you could get away, if they really wanted to kill you.

Den Socling

Yeah, they don't kill many people but I wouldn't want to be one of the few! The few people killed is probably due to the few number of cougars. As the cougar population goes up, the number of people killed will go up. Hope they develop a keen fear of man.

terry f

You and me both. I don't know how common they are in the east, or south, but they are common around here. They can easily be wiped out of an area, because they tree fairly fast to hounds, but if you need to get rid of some deer, they will do that for you.

Den Socling

The state insist that there aren't any in Pennsylvania but I saw one and it was obviously a Mountain Lion. I was deep in the woods on a 2-lane road and it was mid-morning. It walked right across the road in front of me. It was big and had a long tail. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up when I got out to look for tracks!  :o

terry f

My best cougar story. I was driveing down a forest service road, when my youngest so said "deer", I looked over and about 15 yards away was a big cougar. I stopped and got out, but the cougar would just walk a little, stop and look back, finally walked down a skid trail and disappeared in the woods. Since it didn't want to leave, I figured it had a elk or deer kill, and I was going to steal its horns. After a few minutes of looking we got back in the car and my son says "another one", I look over, and the cat is running out of a tree. We walked around, under this tree, for a few minutes while the second cat was above us. I think the first one didn't want to leave, because he was in love with whatever was in that tree.

sandhills

Quote from: Den Socling on May 08, 2012, 12:52:06 PM
Yeah, they don't kill many people but I wouldn't want to be one of the few! The few people killed is probably due to the few number of cougars. As the cougar population goes up, the number of people killed will go up. Hope they develop a keen fear of man.
I'm with you about not wanting to be one of the few, but in St. Paul, a town about 40 miles from me the authorities shot one out of a tree as it was watching over the elementary school playground a few years ago.  Don't think I have a whole hope for the keen fear of man theory  :-\.

Taylortractornut

I have a friend here that had one  hit the sliding glass door on there house.  My friend and his wife were at the breakfast table and their little girl was sitting in the floor infront of the sliding glass door.    My friend saw a flash and a big bang. THe cat ran into the door and hit right where the little girl was.     It was addled then ran off.    It left a  snotty nose print and hair on the door glass and  also knocked the door off the track.  They called the game warden and the state man came in and told them that they didnt see a cougar but a BC.,    I hated  hearing him as he kept acting like we didnt  know anything.   THe tracks were double that of a BC.   

He did suggest that they keep their kids and dogs  inside.   THeres one that followed dad and some neighbors through the woods one night I was out of town.  I could hear it screaming on the phone.    Dad and the neighbors went  looking for it.   It was wierd as all the dogs in the neighbor hood  were silent.   

As they walked forward they could hear it go away from them but when they turned back it came back with them.    I have a feeling that he wont be here long.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Thank You Sponsors!